Psst I wanna start blogging ...Can ya point me to a good site to begin

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I am trying to find a way to get traffic to my hubs , sometimes it looks ok and shows potential ,then just falls away (drops off the radar)

Also sunforged mentioned using tailgate keywords. Are they keywords that follow right after each other ?

Yes I use Google keywords tool thingy ,though never quite sure whether to choose a highpaying keyword or one that is maybe lower but searched for more.

Also what are your thoughts on tags , more or less is better?

In anticipation of your help -thankyou smile

1. blue dog profile image60
      blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi eagle,
      far be it from me to suggest anything other than putting a lasso around ryan kett, dragging him to the ground and tickling him until he gives up all the info he has.

i'm using blogspot for its ease of use, plus its range of layouts. i believe it's an extension of google, therefore google ads are free. my girlfriend, along with others, will suggest wordpress, where you must pay an upgrade fee to allow google ads. 

others will know so much more, so i, and you, should defer to them.

2. Eric Graudins profile image59
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can't tell without yet another bit of information, which Google doesn't provide and many people don't consider.

To make a good decision, you also need to know how many other websites are actively doing SEO stuff to rank for those keywords, both onsite and offsite.

Onsite means the keywords that are being used in the title, URL, headings, etc.
      Offsite means the type and number of links that other websites have made to the page.

The easiest way to do this is with a tool like Micro Niche Finder, or Market Samurai. These are not free tools, but they don't cost too much - Around $150 each.
      (You can do it manually, but it takes a lot of time)

If you REALLY want to learn about this stuff I strongly suggest that you look at the training provided by Ed Dale's Thirty day challenge. www.thirtydaychallenge.com

Invest 30 or 40 hours going through the material there, and a similar amount working on your keywords and sites.
      You'll also get a free 30 day subscription to Market Samurai, and be taught how to use it. (A limited version of Market Samurai is available for permanent free use)

You can watch everything online, or download all the free lessons from the apple store, and watch the video courses on an iPod.

Eaglekiwi (and anyone else reading this)
      At some time you've got decide if you're serious about this stuff.
      Rather than hanging around forums picking up a morsel here and there, make a committment to really learn something. Invest some time.

All of the experts here have spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours of frustration, learning, gnashing of teeth, and finally success.

It's called paying your dues, and there's no short cuts.

Ed Dale's course is the best free course available on the net.
      If possible, take advantage of it.
      (you'll need access to a fast broadband connection)

regards,
      Eric G.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said Eric........ totally agree... But of course I also swan around in the forums yikes  I followed your advice and have done that.... Thanks mate.

3. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not tailgate, Kiwi, longtail keywords! LOL! Anyhoo, take your eyebrow-tweezing hub. No one is searching for your keywords. And your URL, title and tags are conflicting in the keywords you're after.

You need better keyword research and search engine optimization, babeeeeeee!

1. Eric Graudins profile image59

Yep.
        I put up an optimised hub in the last few hours just for fun.
        results: less than 20 views, over 5 clicks, earnings over $5.

Thinks: Hmm. Maybe I should do more like this lol

This is what I use for keyword research. http://TheInternetBloke.com/mnf

Watch the free videos. you'll learn a lot.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hey bdog thanks for answering , your suggestions sounds as good as any to me . For some reason (dont have the right programmes installed or something) I couldnt figure Wordpress, just got a whole lot of coded stuff.

Thanks for ya input and yea dunno whats with Ryan ,maybe hes become one of those reformed smokers an ignoring me...sure he loves me deep down lol hehe

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you have sussed it all out, can you pass it on to me

Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sussed out ? lol, um its not gonna be before lunctime , but scroll back Brenda and you can start today with me smile

We will be hittin that great highway at the same time, I will drive when we hit Route 66 ..lol

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Eric,

Gawd ,for a moment there ,your post transporteed me back to high school!! lol almost heard , now young lady ,you have a good amount of potential if only you would apply yourself!!

Sheepishly Ive gone back to my seat wink

Truthfully it does seem like a lot of work , but realistically I might as way make good use of the free time I have too.

Thanks you and luv ya for taking the time providing the info big_smile

Yeah, I suppose that's how it came across, but I didn't really mean it like that smile

You may have noticed that I don't post here much any more. So I'm glad that you've taken it in the spirit it was intended.
      cheers, Eric G.

Yes the good (dare I say sane people are low on the ground) but truly the info (above) has challenged me ,and thats always a good thing smile

At least the both of you are on the same avatar ,less confusing  j/k lol

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Ok buggar it all , Im off to training wink

(Buy ya a beer with my first hundy payout )

Great. you'll learn a lot.
      The objective of the challenge is to earn a dollar online - which sounds like a huge waste of time.
      Until you realise that the skills you learn to make that dollar are applicable to making lots more.

And I'll look forward to that beer smile

@ PearlDiver.
      No worries.
      And sorry, but I REALLY can't get used to your new avatar lol

1. Pearldiver profile image66

Hell I know.... No one takes me seriously anymore... (if they ever did?) But I get a huge amount of petting attention lol

I bet them bumbletown ladydogs dont minds ya shedding all over ...the wheres ,lol...

Eric@ woohooo Ive started training and signed up to that 'she rocks in the tree-tops all day long" twitter, least I think I did.
          I even gotta dashboard thingy , all this work , I need a wee lie down already lol
          (exited ,really) if I was Pearl Id probably just wee on the floor ..lol

That's great to hear.

After all the preseason stuff, (which introduces some great tools and websites) you'll start to learn how to select effective keywords.

Even if this is all you learn to do, you'll be able to use this knowledge to choose great keywords to use at hubpages.

If you keep going with all of the course material, you'll pick up a huge amount of skills that you can use in many different ways.
            I look forward to seeing you becoming a mentor for others.

All the best, and let me know how you're going with a PM from time to time as I don't come here much anymore.
            Eric G.

(And pearl wears doggy diapers - or so I'm told - so the floor is safe!)

2. Pearldiver profile image66

Bottom line is EK: thats what sets you above tyre kickers (If you Know what I mean!) I was about to recommend that you spoke to Eric and/or bought his e-book... when he jumped on and posted. smile

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Eaglekiwi, I'm another who thinks Blogspot is a good one (particularly for someone new).  It's really, really, easy to use; and Google will put ads on it if you want them to.

I, too, use the "maybe-as-well-make-good-use-of-my-free-time" approach, rather than a more business-like one.  So, I don't do what people really need to do to get traffic and "whatever".  Still, that doesn't change the fact that anyone who wants to take a more business-like approach to a Blogspot blog can easily do that.

I have a Wordpress blog (for some half-baked reason I don't really know), and I have (I think) 13 Blogspot blogs that I started with the idea of kind of organizing/categorizing by theme my different writing, adding to, and "creating an atmosphere" for any readers (as if there are actually readers  lol  ).  Since the blogs are kind of "two tiers down" from my "main free-time endeavors" they're not what they should be; because everything is just spread too thin.  My aim is to gradually fatten them all up; but in the meantime, it was fun to set them up, create the custom colors/themes, add music, etc.  I think Blogspot (besides being super-easy to deal with) is the next best thing to having your own website.  (I've had two websites, as well as a free one or two that come with other accounts; but they were "three tiers down" on the "free-time" thing; and they had nothing to do with where I find "real" freelance assignments - so I dumped them for now.  For now, the blogs are just kind of there - waiting to be turned into something more than musical "storage units" for writing.  smile

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hey Lisa I love reading of your experiences,and you always go into detail ( I like that )Gifted marketer girl, ya sold me on Blogspot too ,cuz I love whistles n bells ,throw in some color and I will settle down and write big_smile

Eventually this might just all come together ,thankyou once again !!

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol@ doggy diapers (they actually have them ,can you believe!!) lol

Um mentor seems a long way off ,but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Are you happy with your adsense returns though ,cuz thats really what Im after.

It may surprise you, but I don't really use adsense.
      When I had a lot of hubs published, I think it was about $30 per month some months.
      Recently it's been nothing, but I may start putting up a some adsense attracting hubs soon.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Listen to Eric Kiwi, this double bloke knows what he is talking about. Yet I definitely have better than him luck with adsense. smile

Yep - Misha makes enough from adsense to lease that drilling platform that's in the background of his pic.

(And that's also why he's dead against the "water for fuel" movement.
      Because if people realise it actually does work, then they wouldn't buy the petrol produced from his oil rig lol )

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just hit the nail Eric! lol

9. Jane@CM profile image62
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

30 Day Challenge - awesome!  I can't believe how much I've learned.  Thanks Eric!

10. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Wow - great info Eric - had to go check out the hub and your link. Looks promising. When My hubs grow up I want them to be big strong money vacuums just like yours, LOL wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)