Do you leave negative comments from readers on your articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Pamela N Red profile image83
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Do you leave negative comments from readers on your articles?

I delete spam but have left comments when a person doesn't agree with me. However, I have noticed I seem to be in the minority on this because when I've left a comment disagreeing with a person (this is not just on HubPages but on blogs elsewhere as well) they are sometimes deleted and not answered.

I am not a disagreeable person or troll and I'm not disagreeing just for the sake of argument but sometimes if I have a different view on an issue I will leave a remark to that affect.

I believe everyone has a right to their opinion and unless it's offensive or abusive I do not delete them.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6172915_f260.jpg

2. BeatsMe profile image53
    BeatsMeposted 12 years ago

Most of the time, I leave comments that disagree with my views. I even give back an answer. But when a comment seems to be insulting or sarcastic. I delete them with no second thoughts. The thing is, you've spent time writing your articles, you don't deserve to be insulted. Rather than create an argument or debate which for me is a waste of time, just delete them.

3. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

Unless it is a purely personal attack on myself or one of my readers, I will probably post it.  I would likely do the same if someone is critical of my work given their points are reasonably well taken.  I am not here to agree with everyone nor have them agree with me.  I do believe HP provides an arena where we can hone our writing skills and make our points as to how we believe.  When the exchange turns to nothing more than personal attacks, it has lost all value to anyone there. Sadly, from that, nothing improves and no one wins. WB

4. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Yes. It is important to see the pros and cons of each subject. Even if others don't agree with you, it is nice to learn from them. Unless they are commenting on your writing instead of the subject of the hub. Then it's war.

5. profile image0
    Curiadposted 12 years ago

I agree with you Pamela N Red, I leave the comments unless they are rude and abusive. Fortunately I have not had any I needed to delete here at HubPages. I also answer every comment.

6. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

I leave the comment(s). The Hub isn't necessarily for anyone to agree or disagree. If they agree...fine, and if they don't it's still fine.

I do agree with other answers here that if a comment sounds abusive, insulting, or argumentative than it's worthy of deletion.

For me worthy of deletion , does not necessarily mean that I will delete the initial comment. It could mean though that if someone returns, and repeatedly with biased behavior, then I know I have the POWER of the delete button.

7. hospitalera profile image60
    hospitaleraposted 12 years ago

I would be a hypocrite not doing so as I like to leave critical (not abusive!) comments on other hubs if I think that helps somebody!
    I am also very grateful if somebody points out a factual mistake, typo, misspelling etc  I made. What I can't cope with are people that read the first ten results on Google and then feel qualified to write and article about said topic without having any real knowledge about it.
    Don't get me wrong - Different opinions are fine!
    It is factual mistakes and outdated info that gets to me, especially if I know something about a topic.
    So quickly, de-friend me if you don't like my love for clear facts with a sound proof!

8. hoteltravel profile image64
    hoteltravelposted 12 years ago

If the negative comment is said in the right spirit, it should not be deleted. It makes sense to have different perspectives of the topic. Prospective readers of the hub will find this more interesting than a single person's view on the subject. After all, when we write a hub, we try to promote our viewpoint alone. However, if the comment is in rude, abusing or insulting language, or personally attack either me or one of the previous commentators, I would delete it without hesitation. I have seen this happen with other hubs, but I am fortunate not to encounter one of these.

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Sure.  As long as they aren't crude and/or something I don't want showing up under my name and/or account.  I like debate and discussion when negative comments are civil.  When they're not; besides adding dissent to the Hubs (not such a bad thing), they can add some interest.  I have a Hub aimed at junior-high-aged kids, and that one frequently gets stuff like, "b-o-r-i-n-g" and "fjkeidjngfle"  (LOL   LOL)  I post them all, but sometimes have to delete a few when they build up to the point of detracting from the page.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I've had to disable comments from a lot of old Hubs, and have them mostly on the most recent ones.  After a few years, I discovered it can take too much time to have to keep going back and re -visiting stuff I wrote in 2008.  I don't want to allow un-moderated comments (that can be a disaster to clean up), and I can't not-respond to people who post comments - so I had to trim some of the comment boxes down.

What I worry about, though, is that my appreciation of offering other perspectives to a discussion could sometimes be interpreted as "a negative comment".  I'm always polite and kind of take it for granted that people know it's "all in the interest of discussion" - but only some people see things that way (even if it's only mentioning a minor point of mild disagreement).

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I have left comments that do not agree, however, I generally delete comments that indicate the writer is  totally clueless, stoned, or else is not a person but a spam-bot..

Those would be comments that are so "out there," that it is obvious the person either did not read the article or understand it in the least.

I don't care to have to "explain" the article in the comments...

11. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 12 years ago

Completely agree with the theme that seems to be traveling down this forum.  Unless abusive and rude, you are welcome in my comments. Without differing points of view we can get really boring.

12. kikibird03 profile image59
    kikibird03posted 12 years ago

I think this is a great option Hubpages offers its members - the ability to accept or deny a comment.  So far, I haven't had any negative comments, but I've only got one hub out there and it's not controversial! lol!  But I have been on other forums where the topics run the route of politics or religion, and the comments some authors get stuck with and cannot remove can really detract from the quality of the comment section, whereas if they'd have had the option to not let the comment post it would have been nice. 

If in that position, I would look at the intent behind the comment and the spirit it was done in. If the negative comment was someone disagreeing, but in an agreeable fashion, then I'd approve an opposing view.  However, if it was done in a malicious or hurtful way to myself or anyone else, I would be happy to exercise that option to not approve it.  I do not like childish name calling, or condescending mean spirited things because it does nothing useful for a forum.

13. VendettaVixen profile image69
    VendettaVixenposted 12 years ago

Yes - if the comment disagreeing with me applies to the hub and isn't just a random angry rant from a troll, I'd be sure to leave the comment unhidden.

14. QualityContent profile image68
    QualityContentposted 12 years ago

I don't leave negative comments unless I strongly disagree with the article. I offer my own opinions but keep the entire response constructive.

15. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image62
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 12 years ago

Yes, if it stimulates discussion and doesn't detract from the topic too much or mislead or confuse people. But my primary purpose in hubbing is education.

16. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 12 years ago

I leave comments from those who disagree with me. I find it interesting see another person's take on a subject matter.It also gives me the opportunity to further clarify my point of view or acknowledge the comment left contains some validity.

17. Mary Stuart profile image68
    Mary Stuartposted 12 years ago

I never have left a negative comment. I have thought negative a few times but never felt like raining on someone's parade. I guess I figure if someone took the time to write then let them be. I have left comments of disagreement but always respectful disagreement. I understood your question to be more along the lines of disrespectful or venomous comments. If that is what you meant by negative then the answer is no. I have never left an ill tempered comment behind. I leave lots of positive comments.

18. Ironman1992 profile image59
    Ironman1992posted 12 years ago

I do leave negative comments as long as they aren't hateful. Nothing is wrong with criticism.

19. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 12 years ago

Because most of the 108 hubs that I have published on HubPages are what could be described as controversial, I have received a considerable number of negative comments from readers.

However, I have never deleted a comment and I never will.

I am not a cop. I'm a writer.

20. qeyler profile image61
    qeylerposted 12 years ago

Depends on the negative.  An opinion is that...You will find some Tea Party Members and other such types who will attack anything that in any way offends their views.  I leave their comments because they are self-revealing and often gain more comments from those who disagree with them. 

I usually leave personal attacks because again, they are self-revealing.  What I will delete are ads, and the usual racist crap.

21. loveofnight profile image74
    loveofnightposted 12 years ago

I tend to allow negative comments but I personally choose not to leave negative them. I would rather not say anything at all and not visit their hub agin.

22. modgirlok profile image61
    modgirlokposted 12 years ago

It depends on if the comment is constructively critical, or just cruel. I don't want to perpetuate hate in any way, so if something is truly mean spirited I might delete it, although I would feel uncomfortable censoring somebody.

23. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 12 years ago

I have never denied a comment on any of my hubs. But I have not written about politics or anything too controversial. I did have a comment I made to someone's hub denied, which I thought was interesting because the topic was overtly controversial. It seemed like an invitation to a dissenting opinion. Anyway, I would not delete any comment to one of my hubs just because they disagreed with me, or didn't like my hub. I would deny it if was obscene, or broke some kind of HubPages rule. I also would never vote a hub or question down just because it didn't match my opinion.

24. Thinking Allowed profile image62
    Thinking Allowedposted 12 years ago

Unless it's spam or a troll, I'll leave it. I'm new to all this, so I haven't had to deal with this yet, but I have read and commented on other hubs. I recently read a controversial hub which can't possible have all agreement, yet it's comment section was a love fest. I didn't even bother to leave a comment 'cause I knew it wouldn't get through. I make sure to steer clear of writers like that and I don't want to ever be viewed that way. Make your comments, good or bad, I'll leave'em.

25. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

Free Speech:
    That is one of the cornerstones of our country. I am rather new to this, but I have yet to delete any comment. I would only do so if I new the comment was completely incorrect or abusive toward any person or group--really abusive.

26. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

I've only gotten one negative comment on a Hub thus far and it wasn't from a fellow Hubber, just some random troll. I deleted it but now I kinda wish I had left it up there, just so I could've responded "Oh yeah? Well, bite me, Zippy!"

27. gardengrowmadeezy profile image60
    gardengrowmadeezyposted 12 years ago

No, I don't. I think it is mean, just flat mean to leave a negative comment on someone else's article. We all are doing the best we can at any given time to express ourselves clearly, concisely and from the bottom of our hearts. At least I do and believe the best of others, unless and until proven otherwise. I am NOT saying I delete a comment because someone may disagree, we do all have our own outlooks and opinions. I can always respect differences of opinion. To me that is a different thing completely than a negative comment. To me a negative comment has absolutely zero benefit to anybody. It can't possibly make the writer feel better, purposely focusing on the negative. We always will succeed if that is what we strive for-finding the negative.
    As a new hubber, not knowing how to do many things very well yet, it really hurt reading a couple snarky (how I perceived them anyhow) comments on my ability (actually inability) to do something correctly (inserting hyperlinks-still don't have it down!). Input from an experienced Hubber on how to do it,would have been much more productive. The negative comments?? YOU BET I deleted them.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

gardengrowmadeezy makes a very good point. Encouragement is much better. But maybe if you'd left the comments, some other hubber would have stepped in and helped you.

28. bankscottage profile image89
    bankscottageposted 12 years ago

I haven't been doing this very long, but I do agree with you.  I would welcome differences of opinion in response to my hubs or my comments.  I have left one comment that I questioned the premise of the hub.  The comment has been approved, but I only left it earlier today.  We can agree to disagree, we just don't have to be nasty about it.

29. Mercia Collins profile image64
    Mercia Collinsposted 12 years ago

I leave negative comments on providing the comment is not rude, offensive or it is obvious that the writer has not read the hub at all or is under the influence.

30. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 12 years ago

I have a feeling we're only getting one side of the story with this question.  You say you are just leaving remarks "effect" that you disagree.  That is very telling. This makes me think you are leaving terse comments that say nothing other than the fact that you don't agree with the author.  To me, that's not something worth indulging, I'd delete that too.

It's one thing to leave longer, thoughtful comments that EXPLAIN why you disagree, comments that actually take on some point addressed in the hub. But if you are just going around writing "no, you're wrong" on hubs you don't agree with, what's the point? 

If you find that your comments are frequently getting deleted, while other comments remain,  perhaps you should look at it objectively to see how you can change your commenting style.

31. dBrian profile image60
    dBrianposted 12 years ago

I accept all comments (not just hubpages, but all my websites in general) even if negative.
    Now if the person is being disrespectful this is a different story, people have a habit of saying rude things online when they would never act like that in person. It is ridiculous... I delete spammy comments, and comments with no meaning that are just disrespectful. I noticed not many people accept comments that disagree with what their hubs are saying.. but I guess that's their choice to make so w.e.

32. mirabea profile image62
    mirabeaposted 12 years ago

comments are something like your opinion and we have the right to comment as the way we want to. if i disagree with some articles or topic i will not comment so much..negative  comment is the same as positive one....it is both needed to know your readers opinion so you can know what readers want

33. profile image0
    jasper420posted 12 years ago

Depends if there attacking me pearsonly then I delete it but if there simply in disagrement or making a correction then no everyone has a right to there opinon Im not ashamed of my work and never will be I respect others for being open and honest with me

34. Peter Allison profile image79
    Peter Allisonposted 12 years ago

I think that any serious writer will leave all comments up regardless - excepting offensive comments I suppose or spam. Oddly, even though I select 'un-moderated' on my Hubs, comments always seem to need to be approved. Anyway, I think it comes down to trust in yourself and your readers and letting the conversation take its natural course.

35. maxweber04 profile image55
    maxweber04posted 12 years ago

No probably it will harm your online profile authenticity.

36. registerdomains profile image61
    registerdomainsposted 12 years ago

Being open to all the viewpoints is a sign of maturity. Leaving all the comments (except spam) helps than hurts. All sorts of things will go in the mind of a hub reader, so having all the views on the hub is certainly an advantage. By leaving all comments, your hub cover most of the viewpoints regarding the topic which increase relevance very much.

37. Tams R profile image83
    Tams Rposted 12 years ago

I welcome disagreements which are not rude or distasteful in my comments. I dislike when someone attempts to stage what should be an entire blog post in my comments to make someone look stupid. Thankfully that hasn't happened to me yet.

38. YvetteParker profile image60
    YvetteParkerposted 12 years ago

Some of my articles have received negative comments. As of yet, I have not denied any of them and have allowed them to be posted. That's not to say that I haven't been tempted to deny them; I just chalk it up as people expressing their own views and thoughts. Some of the comments, although negative, can be helpful and I do learn from them. Others??...oh well!!

39. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

The only time I really leave a negative comment is when the information in the hub is completely wrong as in some medical hubs I have commented on, or if the hub didn't make a logical argument. Sometimes when I see a hub without a logical form of an argument, I just can't help myself and I have to make a comment, but I try really hard not to be mean or condescending.

40. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

I entertain all kinds of comments unless those comments are abusive....I discard comments only if comments use foul language...

41. ljrc1961 profile image76
    ljrc1961posted 12 years ago

I do.  Although if the person is being very nasty, I make comment of it and ask them to watch what they say.  If they continue, then I don't allow it.  I give them a chance.  I think that stating one's opinion does serve to elicit more responses from other readers.  This can in the end, produce a hub that becomes even more interesting.  I do not allow however profanity or sexual over tones.

42. Ciel Clark profile image71
    Ciel Clarkposted 12 years ago

Pamela, I like this question and the answers that followed.  I have only been on hub pages a few days, not many hubs and no negative comments yet, but this is one of my favorite topics.

I teach ESL at a university, and in the writing class I try to get the students to always show a little of the other point of view.  I think it makes your own point stronger if you understand the opposing views.  Sometimes my mind has been changed by a good disagreement, but more often my own thought processes were made stronger by debating the points.

A negative comment is not useful and I might delete that, (unless I was curious enough to follow up on it) but an opposing/disagreeing viewpoint can be very helpful.

43. sheilanewton profile image58
    sheilanewtonposted 12 years ago

I agree with you Pamela.  We should take the good with the bad comments - and leave them alone.  As you say, everyone has a right to thier opinion.  And not everyone can LOVE our work, can they?

44. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me, as long as they are not offensive to other readers and are willing to engage in healthy debate.

One place I would never post anything is youtube. I am stunned by how many rude and degrading comments are posted there.

45. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I have one hub that occasionally gets comments that want to challenge me on the facts. I always thank them for the comment and ask for the source of the information.

One hub I published had a typo in the name of a person. Someone alerted me by saying "at least you could have spelled his name right." While I am thankful to that person for letting me know, and I fixed the typo, I did delete the comment because it seemed a bit snarky.

1. Titia profile image92
      Titiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sherry, you're commenting on a post from 6 years ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)