jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Increased hub length. Advisable?

1. Jackson Riddle profile image61
    Jackson Riddleposted 7 years ago

I've just increased my hub length by about 400 words up to around 1,200. As it is my first hub is 1,200 too long. Hopefully it is engaging enough for people to keep reading but do you recommend taking out the content I added and maybe making a new hub?

Thanks

1. AEvans profile image66
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have written from 500-1200 words personally to me, it all depends on the topic. It is your first hub let it be a learning curve and reflect back on it 6 months from now. You may find it quite interesting and you will also realize how far you have came. Keep writing and make it a topic next year. Ex: Reflections On Writing My First Hub, just an idea.smile

Jackson Riddleposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah Good Idea, Thanks smile

1. AEvans profile image66
          AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Your first hub is also good welcome and may you have wonderful experiences while you are here. smile

2. GeneralHowitzer profile image63
        GeneralHowitzerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

nice reply here... i'll be reading this hub now...

2. tony0724 profile image62
    tony0724posted 7 years ago

I myself always try to keep my hubs somewhat brief and to the point . And hopefully engaging too. But people have short attention spans . that Is just human nature . However If the writing Is good then they tend to keep me enthralled ! But I am mediocre but I tend to be a smart aleck so that always works for me . Best of luck to you and welcome to Hubpages !

Thanks, yeah I've tried to "lure" people ouside of hub pages in with the section on money (at the end) as an incentive to keep reading till the end.

3. rumbling profile image25
    rumblingposted 7 years ago

I think the length depends on the topic of your hub , Even if you write a long hub breaking it down to text capsules , adding pointers etc help to engage the reader more.

4. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 7 years ago

What's with the Obama Poll?

Supposedly, Obama has "done nothing" yet achieved something and since there are two massive threads on these forums I want to know where people actually stand from a simple vote rather than a complex debate.

5. Choke Frantic profile image85
    Choke Franticposted 7 years ago

I've been having a similar debate about my hub length too. I don't actually count how many words are there though =] Short(ish) and sweet is best in my opinion. But if its long, try to break it up into two hubs or add interesting capsules (like polls) to keep the readers engaged.

Oh, and on the topic of reflecting on your first hub? Mine was http://hubpages.com/hub/10-Best-Tips-for-Shiny-Hair I absolutely hated it and thought it was crap. But I guess it can't be too bad since it has a score of 79 at the moment.

working