jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Using profanity in hubs?

1. Taylor Raymond profile image58
    Taylor Raymondposted 6 years ago

Using profanity in hubs?

Do you consider it to be wrong for people to use light profanity in their own own writing? I have mixed emotions on this and would like more opinions.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

As long as people stay within the rules, it is acceptable. But artistically, profanity does not make good writing unless it is justified to make a point; such as showing how certain characters speak in a short story. Rather than be offended, people should simply stop reading hubs they find objectionable. Personally, I tend to avoid hubs with profanity.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I don't like profanity. I'm not shocked nor appalled by it, I just choose not to use it and not to read things that are laced with it.

I have used the word "hell" in a hub to make a point about listening to people talk on cell phones.  So if the word is for emphasis to make a point then I don't mind it.

It sure seems to be common in our everyday language these days!

4. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

The only thing using profanity shows is that you have a lack of words and education to use them. I do not approve of it and do not use it. Occasionally, a character in a story would be the type to use it, and to show that, the author uses small bits to show that about the character. That would be the only way that I would read it and it had better be mild. Otherwise, I am hitting the back button and probably down on the way.

5. Tams R profile image82
    Tams Rposted 6 years ago

I find reading articles with unnecessary profanity is tasteless and I do not read them. There are moments when quoting a person I can see it's use, but even then I prefer to see it written using a symbol %^# in place of a couple of letters to show the author didn't prefer to use the word. Certain words which are considered profane by some do not affect me such as D....m or #ell. So I suppose it is perspective as well as the reason behind its usage. Throwing around the F bomb or B word will inevitably cause me to leave and possibly flag the hub.

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 6 years ago

It depends on what you are defining as light profanity--I think I know, but some people might stretch the definition.

The issue of using profanity is whether it is necessary. There are two outstanding books--old books, "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck and "Mr Roberts," by Thomas Heggen. Both use very earthy language. The language was appropriate. In "The Grapes of Wrath" the language express the frustration of families that had been turned into migrant farm workers because of the dust bowl years, the depression and government policies. They lost everything and had to scrounge every day for survival.
    "Mr. Robert" is about life on a Navy supply ship during WWII. The term "cursses like a sailor" made the use of profanity appropriate and at times amusing.

To be more direct in your question, is is probably not necessary to use profanity in Hubs are responding to questions. If the profanity is in a quote, then use it if the quote is vital to the comment you are making.

My father, who did not get to finish high school was known to say damn and hell every now and then, but nothing worse. He was a wise man and said that the excessive use of profanity only showed a lack of intelligence. There are a lot of other words that can usually be used to expressed outrage, anger and other emotions.

I do not think I have ever used profanity in any of my writing over the past 35 years, not completely sure. In my college days I used it quite a bit in my spoken word--fortunately I matured before i graduated.

7. Seeker7 profile image94
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Most of the time the porfanity that I've read in articles isn't necessary and adds nothing to the article or piece of creative writing. In some cases I would say that it makes the writing much less appealing. However, it does seem to be a trend that is growing and not just online. I've watched a couple of movies recently where every second word said by the actors was profanity - it was a big turn off and I switched it over! If an article or story is the same way, then I wouldn't read it.

8. donnaisabella profile image80
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

It might be your own work but it is not really yours because you are writing it for other people otherwise you would keep it to yourself so may be it is courteous to leave out the profanities. Can you not help it?

working