jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you read hubs with a highly critical eye?

1. WookieWonderfuls profile image60
    WookieWonderfulsposted 6 years ago

Do you read hubs with a highly critical eye?

checking grammar, spelling and punctuation or just enjoy the read?

2. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 6 years ago

I read to enjoy it, but since I am unusually proficient at spotting these errors, they jump out at me. I definitely notice the wrong use of a word or a misspell or typo. It just encourages me to triple check my own work. It ruins the flow of a story or article when I notice those things.

3. YvetteParker profile image76
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

Call it the teacher in me, but grammatical errors stand out on a page like a sore thumb. I try not to be too critical as it is very easy to make errors especially when your mind is racing faster than your fingers. Nevertheless, in my opinion, grammatical errors do take away from the quality of the hub.

4. hoteltravel profile image70
    hoteltravelposted 6 years ago

I am not great at editing my own content, but when I read hubs written by others, grammatical errors and improper use of language are the first things I notice. Once I spot mistakes in hubs, I cannot enjoy them anymore. One or two typos do not matter, but too many of them spoils the experience.

5. hildred profile image78
    hildredposted 6 years ago

As someone who writes all day and edits both her own and other people's work a lot...it's pretty hard for me to not auto-edit *anything* I read, and this includes Victorian literature! But obviously nothing's going to come from that. But sometimes when I read a poorly edited novel or even a hub with a few mistakes, I will be taken right out of the writing. Typos and occasional misuse of words (think "their vs. there vs. they're) doesn't bother me so much as they're usually just common mistakes that are easy to notice and fix later on, but when it's a theme throughout the writing of the whole hub I end up moving on.