Is there a website to obtain public domain videos?

1. bankscottage profile image94
    bankscottageposted 6 years ago

Is there a website to obtain public domain videos?

There are websites to get public domain photos that you can use in your Hubs.  Is there a similar website where you can obtain videos?  Are YouTube videos considered public domain?

2. Teresa Schultz profile image78
    Teresa Schultzposted 6 years ago

When somebody posts a video to YouTube, and they do their settings, there's an option to allow others to re-post the videos (repost them anywhere I think.) If they have not chosen the option to allow others to use their videos, you won't be able to get the embed code - so, generally, if you are able to get the embed code, they've allowed you to re-post their video. However, I'm not sure what the default setting is when people upload videos to YouTube - if the default setting is that people can access the embed code, and the person who uploaded the video didn't actually want anybody else using their videos elsewhere, that seems a little "iffy." Although, if people are using YouTube to upload their videos in the first place, they should be aware of all the rules, and should also know how to make use of all the settings. I'm not sure what would happen if somebody moaned at you for using their YouTube video - would telling them that they didn't block the video's embed code be enough to calm them down?

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

youtube videos are not public domain - they are the property of their original owners and copyright is in place.  That doesn't mean you can't link a video into your hubs if they give you the option to share - what it does mean however is you can't  say disassemble their video, move things around, add stuff and reupload it as your own.  Nor can you take credit it for the original video - you have to attribute it in your hub to the original creator.  There tends to be a lot of confusion on "public domain" and what that terminology means.  Public Domain means without copyright - so no youtube videos and most other videos are not going to be public domain.  You can use many of them, just be sure to attribute them properly.

working