jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think that HubPages will ever become a closed writing site?

1. TheMagician profile image91
    TheMagicianposted 5 years ago

Do you think that HubPages will ever become a closed writing site?

With the large amount of spammers and whatnot now, do you think that HP will ever quit allowing newcomers to sign up and only keep it's current writers?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

That's an interesting question and I can see both sides.  On one hand if they closed to new writers (at least for awhile) it would give them time to weed out the spam and junk hubs etc.

However, if they remain closed to new writers for long periods of time it could cost them potential revenue that could be generated by the talented writers that do find their way here. 

Definitely an interesting question to consider.

3. goody7 profile image76
    goody7posted 5 years ago

That's actually a very interesting question, however closing it to new comers could also mean the end of the hub pages.

4. Turtlewoman profile image94
    Turtlewomanposted 5 years ago

I agree with ChristinS.  If they decide to become a closed writing site, they would lose on revenue from more serious potential writers in the future. I think they might focus more on detecting spam rather than making it a closed site. Or perhaps they will make it an "invite only" membership similar to Pinterest. That way current writers can personally recommend great writers.

5. TheMagician profile image91
    TheMagicianposted 5 years ago

ChristinS, you bring up some really good points. I do think if they closed for small periods at a time it would allow them to weed out spam and junk hubs, but in the long run if they completely closed off new members from joining then it could potentially hurt them.

Turtlewoman, an invite only membership seems like it'd be definitely a better way to go rather than totally closing off the site! I didn't think of that... I wonder if that'd work well smile

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

I would assume they won't close the site, but I'd also assume they will continue finding ways to encourage the type of quality they want to see from writers.  Hope so, at least!

7. j-u-i-c-e profile image97
    j-u-i-c-eposted 5 years ago

I don't like spam hubs, but I think they should stay away from 'invite only' and focus on discouraging spam. I'm a hard worker, I write good hubs, and I bring in a lot of traffic, but I doubt anyone would have ever invited me.

I'd be more concerned about losing out on a good writer than carrying a bit of dead weight if I were HP. It's a little more work but it's also good for PR and friendly to new writers like myself. I don't think HP would ever go closed writing, but with the number of spammers around it's hard to know for sure.