jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Under what circumstances should one vote down someone else's hub or answer?

1. Cherrietgee profile image79
    Cherrietgeeposted 5 years ago

Under what circumstances should one vote down someone else's hub or answer?

It seems that some people vote down other people's writings simply because they didn't like - or were a offended by - what was said. Are we not entitled to our own opinions? Why not engaged that person in a "discussion" rather than voting them down?

2. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

Well in my personal opinion if the hub insults the reader, provides false information, or is simply an obvious advertisement for a service or website then I'll vote it down.

Unless the writer is doing something wrong I normally won't vote down hubs.

Cherrietgeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, CresentSkies. I see where you're coming from. I'm still not too comfortable voting down things that are insulting...unless I know for a fact the writer was attempting to be insulting. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense.

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure about hubs as the writer has, hopefuly, researched the subject and is putting up his thoughts on the matter.  However, questions are easier, often it is obvious when someone has attempted to hi-jack a question to vent his own, angst, or his own take on the subject, the answer should be voted down in that instance; the respondent should write his own question or hub or both on the subject.
    Vote down when you know false information is being supplied in hubs or questions and answers to questions,  note that I said know, not think or believe.

1. Several Ninjas profile image80
      Several Ninjasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree with everything you've said. Which is to say that you'd be a prime candidate for being voted down considering you like to vent and you get answers wrong to the most simple of questions.

2. Cherrietgee profile image79

Mick S, this makes sense, too. Just to clarify, you're saying that answers should be voted down if they don't really have anything to do with the question? Is that accurate?

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

EXACTLY. The question was recently asked - if there were proof that God existed what you say?  Because I am a Christian my answer was something like -I'd say great, I knew it all the time.

Several red down arrows followed.  WHY?  I was answering the question, not Bible banging nor Atheist bashing - simply answering the question. It gets old and Hubpages has further invited disharmony with the comments now allowed after answering the question, making it like a forum.

So I agree with you!.

I will vote down an answer that is really smart a$$ and trying to berate the person asking the question.  Hubs I will vote down if the English, grammar and general writing style is truly bad.

It's like you're in my mind, duffsmom. I have experienced something similar by being voted down simply because I answered a question honestly. I really wanted to know whether or not I was the only one. Thanks!

working