Has anyone experienced a real drop in traffic and revenue in the last two days o

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65
    Emeraldgreen21posted 11 years ago

Has anyone experienced a real drop in traffic and revenue in the last two days or so?

Since I've started writing again the traffic to my hubs was climbing steadily.  The last day or two my earnings got halved and then halved again today. I'm down from 800+ views a day to somewhere around 300. I thought it was perhaps because it's weekend, but last weekend I had an increase in traffic and earnings.  Is there a reason why things would just go south like this, and so suddenly? Or is it normal for traffic and earnings to fluctuate like this?

2. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

I had the same question!! The last 2 days have been low in terms of traffic. It's still higher than March; but, my traffic was at a steady high. The traffic from Google.com (The US one) has dropped by almost 50%!! The other countries have picked up a bit. So, I'm seeing an overall 25% drop in traffic. My hubs are doing fine in the SERP's - I wonder what's the problem. I just hope it's an early weekend fall. But, last weekend I saw a rise in traffic

1. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65
      Emeraldgreen21posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad to hear it's not just me, but that makes me wonder if there's not something bigger going on. It's discouraging to see my stats drop like this, especially when I've been working incredibly hard to get to where I was. :-(

2. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was getting a steady 300 views each day; hope it returns! Any special holidays or activities going on in the US That could be the reason? Because there's no change in the SERP's and the decrease is just from Google.com in my case

3. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

I really hope this is just because of something like a holiday or whatever. I'm not US based, so I wouldn't know if there is one. I checked the rankings for my hubs the night before last, and many of them were ranking well.

4. lobobrandon profile image87

I hope so too. Will have to wait for Monday I guess.

5. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

I guess so. It's really demotivating to see this kind of thing happen. Let's hope it's temporary.

6. profile image0
      Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Could be the holiday? It's Cinco de Mayo, sort of a Mexican St. Patrick's Day, an "alcoholiday," a good day to stay home and read hubs, IMO.

7. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

Ah, that might explain it I guess. Thanks for the heads up Chris!

3. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
    WorkAtHomeMumsposted 11 years ago

Same here - almost to zero actually.
    And my keywords used to bring be page 1 or 2 for some of my hubs and now when I enter my keywords I am no where to be seen, not even in the first 5 or 6 pages. I have no idea what is going on.

1. lobobrandon profile image87

My rankings are fairly constant just the usual fluctuations; but, traffic on the other hand is seeing a huge drop. Dropped down even more compared to last night!

4. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65
    Emeraldgreen21posted 11 years ago

I've checked a few of my hubs that I knew was ranking well before, and none of them are anywhere to be found. It seems like most of not all of my hubs have disappeared off the face of the earth (or off the face of Google). Could this be due to the penquin update?

1. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
      WorkAtHomeMumsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok so it's not just me. Exactly same for me. I've disappeared.  Wonder if hubpages needs to know?

2. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

No Idea. How would we go about letting them know?

3. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86

I was meaning email but then again if it's a google thing it's probably out of their hands. I'm sure their own analytical team would notice the drop too. Fingers crossed.

4. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

That's what I thought. They would have to start noticing if a few hubbers' traffic drop down to almost nothing overnight.  Mind you, the same thing happened to my blog just after I started it, so maybe it's just a temporary thing?

5. lobobrandon profile image87

Btw if you get 800+ views a day - why do you not have even the 10k views accolade?

6. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

I only actively started writing during the last month Lobobrandon.  I'm up to just under 9000 views currently, so I won't have the 10k accolade yet.

7. lobobrandon profile image87

And you were getting that many views - wow! I get 300 a day or so. Dropping down like flies as I type this sad

8. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

Yeah mine are doing the same. There's a steady decline from about the 1st with a definite nosedive at around the 3rd of May. :-(

9. lobobrandon profile image87

Yup, exactly the same dates.

10. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86

I've gone to a standstill.
      Now what?!?!

11. lobobrandon profile image87

My traffic is back and its at a new high increased by 30 views of the usual so its around 330 or so now.

12. Emeraldgreen21 profile image65

I'm at a standstill too.  My analytics account shows around 125 visits per day for the last three days.....:-(

13. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86

I've been reading about this sandbox concept. Lots of what I read says that new websites disappear after a short lived appearance until they earn their dues so to speak. This can take months. Maybe this is what happened to me as i am only 7wks here

14. lobobrandon profile image87

Yes, that's just what I meant in the mail I sent you. You're on a personal challenge right? Just complete it and you'll find yourself out of the sandbox soon enough. Hubs take time to age so at least they'll be aging while you wait

15. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86

Hope so smile

16. lobobrandon profile image87

Whatever happens don't give up. Because for sure traffic is going to come. Even if it doesn't you can always move your content later on. But, give it time and build related content.

17. smcopywrite profile image61
      smcopywriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes. the new algorithm is affecting everyone around the web. expect the drop to be consistent and tweaking older hubs is a must.

5. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 11 years ago

yes, went from about 50 to 100 views (still relatively new and only have 18 articles) to around 9 to 15 per day.

6. Viviannie profile image59
    Viviannieposted 11 years ago

I've noticed that too and in addition some of the websites I've used to post advertising materials were down. Some of them are still inaccessible. I have heard a few weeks ago that some hackers group was planning an attack on DNS servers, to stop internet for a couple of days. I don't know if there is a connection between, but there were some problems.

7. jengeurian profile image60
    jengeurianposted 11 years ago

I just started writing here about 8 days ago.  I have noticed in that time that my hubs do pretty good for a couple of days, and then they drop off bad.  If I make an improvement to the hub it will get a couple of extra views a day for about two days, and then my traffic goes back down to just a couple of views a day for each hub.  I am still trying to figure out how my hubs can do so well for the first couple of days and then drop off to nearly nothing.
    If anyone has any ideas on this, I would love to hear them.  Maybe it can give me some ideas on how to go about fixing my issues.

1. lobobrandon profile image87

The thing is, when hubs are newly published people who are following you as well as many others who are following just a few people, get updates on their feed. If people are interested in the main topic of your article say ... To be continued(Nospace

8. AlexK2009 profile image83
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

Yeah, 50% drop. I will know if this is permanent in a few days

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)