Whats All They Hype About Halloween???

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image55
    akhilkarunposted 14 years ago

Hey friends... I'm Guy from India.I've heard so much about 'Halloween' buy havent got a chance to know the fun and philosophy of it.
    I've know that people dress in Exciting Varitey of Outfits and Have a heavy lot of fun.
    Could somebody tellme about 'Halloween'.
    It would be a unique expression of your views too..

2. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

It's a costume-party holiday, supposed to be scary, but not TOO scary--the kids go door to door, or at least they used to, saying "Trick or treat".  And the people in the houses gave them candy, the treat, to avoid a trick being played on them.  The kids dress up in costumes, and it's a lot of fun.

The tradition came from "All Hallow's Eve", or Hallowe'en, when the dead supposedly walk.  It's the day before All Saint's Day (November 1)...

You're probably still going, "Huh?" if none of this is a familiar part of your country's traditions.

1. profile image55
      akhilkarunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no no .. i got you. We've thrown away the concept of sticking to concentric traditions long bak itselfs... I belive life is all about how we and our relations live happily...

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

we like to celebrate anything in US!  big_smile

1. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This kind of says it all, akhilkarun.  Halloween has its roots in ancient (really ancient) beliefs associated with the festival, "Samhain".  Here's a Wiki link that explains Samhain.  These days, the holiday has pretty no connection to its roots for most America.  It's a day when people get to wear costumes, go to parties, bob for apples, and have party food.

Also, children go "Trick or Treating".  Their parents usually take them around the neighborhood where they live, often going with other children and parents.  The children wear costumes and knock on people's doors and say, "Trick or Treat".  People decorate their houses (some more than others) either with Fall flowers and pumpkins or with Halloween "spooky" decorations or both.  (Fake spider webs, fake skeletons).  My mother (born in 1919) said when she was a kid it wasn't really about just candy.  Some kids would go do mischief to property.  People would soap up cars, throw toilet paper in trees, and stuff like that.  That was a long time ago, though, and these days it's pretty much about either kids going out for candy or else parties.

My Halloween earlier this evening was giving out candy, although my daughter, who was on her way to a party and dressed in a cute costume gave out candy for a while too.  My son also came by and was giving out candy with his sister for a while.  Because it was warm out we took turns sitting out by the walkway.  We gave out candy in little paper bags with smiling pumpkins on them.  I had two big pumpkins on the front stairs.  One was carved artistically by my daughter, so I put a flashlight in it so it would glow.  I had a pot of Fall flowers next to them, and a smiling Jack O Lantern hung on my front door.  Most of the children are little (under 13 years old).  Lots of times two or more families go around together, so it's a whole "social" thing.  In most towns kids are told that the hours for going out Trick or Treating are 6 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; so it's a two-hour thing once a year.  It's pretty much known that if someone doesn't have a porch light on children shouldn't go to that house.

The people next door to me were roasting marshmallows outside, so the air was filled with the smell of roasting marshmallows.  I had neighbors who used to make candied apples for the kids.  Teens, young adults, and older adults may or may not go to the parties; but there are also sometimes parties for children as well (with lots of candy, popcorn, frosted cupcakes, cookies - and things like that).  Stores sell all kinds of things for Halloween (from nice decorations to "spooky" novelties).  Candy corn is traditional for Halloween.

Sometimes people who work in places like stores will wear costumes on Halloween.  In offices people often bring in Halloween candy to leave out on desks or tables.  Stores stock up on bags of Halloween candy because they know people are going to buying it.  As soon as Halloween is over the Thanksgiving decorations, food, and cards are what the stores have; and people do stuff like hang "Indian corn" (Native-American) on their doors and put other Autumn stuff out.

Hope this little glimpse helps you know our Halloween better.  smile  We had a particularly nice Halloween this year, so I've enjoyed writing about it here.  It's been a good way for me to kill some leisure time on the forums without having to wade through all those religious threads that seem to be monopolizing the forums.  lol

4. profile image55
    akhilkarunposted 14 years ago

Hey Lisa that was an orginal and detailed post on halloween... getting real knowledge from real people like you is far better than the result any search engine could dig up..
    I too get the fun Halloween Now...

So send me the candy soon wink

Happy Halloween...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)