jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you feel about halloween?

1. DH Reviews profile image52
    DH Reviewsposted 16 months ago

How do you feel about halloween?

2. Luke A Reynolds profile image60
    Luke A Reynoldsposted 16 months ago

Halloween is fun, but it is vastly commercialized. I like the whole aspect of dressing up as practically anything, while simultaneously having a good time. I always had good memories Trick or Treating as a kid (I never really ate the candy I got I just liked the fun surrounding it) Plus activities like carving pumpkins is always a treat. Overall its a splendid holiday.

3. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 16 months ago

Halloween is actually "All hallows eve."  Good spirits and bad spirits, not just the witchy ones.  Watch out for witchful thinking.

4. Amanda108 profile image94
    Amanda108posted 16 months ago

Halloween is an amazing holiday. It's fun, of course. But I call it "amazing" for more than just being entertainment.

The holiday has such a vast history of culture and important beliefs. It's fascinating, the way it changes over the decades depending on the time and place - and what society's everyday life and focuses were. The season (because I see Halloween as a season just like Christmastime is a season, as opposed to a single day/night) can mean so many different things: If you want it to be only casual child's fun you can do that with trick or treating and pumpkin patches, or you can indulge in adult dress-up and make-believe with costume parties or haunted houses. One can see it from a spiritual perspective, a chance to acknowledge and maybe honor the dead, for example. You can indulge in this one month to revel in spookiness, rather than shy away from it - suddenly being scared, so long as it's all in good fun, is acceptable. You're openly free to explore the possibility of ghosts and what lurks in the dark, to entertain thoughts of magic and "more." Rather than view death as a subject to be avoided or spoken about solemnly, we suddenly see it all around us in the light and I think that can provide catharsis for some of us. Then of course there's the ample opportunity for creativity and imagination!

I could go on and on. But I think I already have, a little too much. ;-)

working