jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Should Hubpages let us know when, how many, and what hubs are getting voted down

1. cruelkindness profile image76
    cruelkindnessposted 5 years ago

Should Hubpages let us know when, how many, and what hubs are getting voted down, So we can Improve?

They don't need to disclose who, just were and what hubs have votes down and bad feedback so we can improve our score as well as our writings.  Which will ultimately bringing more traffic to Hubpages based on having better writers an materiel.  Win, Win Situation

2. kj force profile image74
    kj forceposted 5 years ago

Good question..great idea..it would benefit everyone..possible to propose it to HP?
    let me know if you do....

3. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 5 years ago

It seems a bit silly to have the facility to mark hubs up or down and not make the results known to the writer.

4. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

We can see how many votes we have on awesome, funny, interesting, etc. So it would make sense to also show us the votes on up and down. 

I agree that these individual counts can help us determine how our hubs are being considered by our readers. It may or may not help determine how good or bad a hub is, sinse people vote based on interpretation, or based on their own beliefs of a particular subject. This can cause us to get erroneous up or down votes.  But with that said, it could be very useful to see how those votes are adding up.

Go for it, go ahead and post your idea in the "Suggest  a new feature" forum. I'd love to see this idea implemented.

5. forall profile image61
    forallposted 5 years ago

Good idea. it would be great if the result was visible at least to the author.

6. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I agree. Great idea as long as only the author can see the stats.

7. nochance profile image91
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

A few downvotes on a hub doesn't necessarily mean it has bad content. Sometimes those voting don't agree with what is written and misuse the downvote button. If there are more than a few downvotes on a hub and not many upvotes then it will be moderated and unpublished giving the author a chance to fix it.

This seems to be the easiest way for hubpages to let an author know that their hub isn't up to hubpages quality.

8. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I don't necessarily think that seeing down-votes would lead to some people's (at least my) adjusting their Hubs according to down-votes, because people vote things up and down for their own reasons.  Nobody is going to please everyone all the time, and I've seen that if a Hub expresses ideas that are in the minority, there's a good chance it will be voted down; even if, in fact, the ideas are well founded, researched, accurate and presented in decent grammar.

We can't stop people from voting things down for their own reasons (and "quality" is often subjective anyway).  Neither would I necessarily want to stop people from voting things down.  At the same time, I'm not about to adjust what I've written because someone else (or a lot of someone-else's) don't happen to like it.  I can accept less traffic and less earnings if that's the case with an unpopular Hub, but I don't write based on votes; and I don't change what I have to say either.   

I think the "win/win" situation needs to go on between the writer and the individual reader; and that goes on when the writer does his best to produce decent quality writing and remain true to himself and his own aims as a writer and as a person; and when the reader sees that (whether or not he likes the style/ideas of the writer; or an individual Hub).

Besides, I think most reasonably capable Hubbers know, exactly, which of their Hubs are weak and which are solid.  If someone isn't capable enough to recognize that there's a good chance he won't be capable enough, either, to fix any voted-down Hubs anyway.