jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What is duplicate content?

1. MarleneB profile image95
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

What is duplicate content?

When I get flagged for duplicate content, it kind of breaks my heart, especially when I write something that is totally original - no quotes, no links, etc. I see so many "duplicate" hub oriented hubs and wonder why they exist without being flagged as duplicate content. I am almost afraid to write for fear of being banned from HubPages (a little warning included with the duplicate content citation). Why is my original content flagged as duplicate content? Have you had this experience, too?

2. moiz17 profile image69
    moiz17posted 5 years ago

It happens. It happens with me when I am writing on a topic on which a lot of content has been already published. Even though I don't copy, the chances of one or two common phrases and sentences matching with any published webcopy are great.

I have started to use Copyscape to check my articles but you'll need to buy credits for it. A similar free version can be found at http://plagiarism-detect.com/. Copyscape is better as it is far more accurate in detecting plagiarism but if you can't afford it then the plagiarism detect won't be a bad choice to make sure that your content has no plagiarized sentences or phrases.

MarleneBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the referral to Copyscape. I'll go check it out.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

If you write something totally original and it's flagged here as being duplicate, it's most often one of three things:
    1) you are reusing material you wrote and published elsewhere on the internet first
    2) you are writing on a widely-covered topic and are not saying anything original
    3) it's a "false positive" from the automated checkers

The #2 scenario happens a lot to people who are trying to chase hot keywords or write on something they think will be popular and who are not writing on topics with which they have actual life experience or knowledge. 

On rare occasions it's the #3 scenario, but writing directly to the moderators and requesting a manual review will quickly fix it.

#2 makes a lot of sense. Now, with that in mind I do see a lot of hubs about hubs with people sharing the same information over and over again. Oh well, I'm learning my way around. HP is still a good place to be.

4. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

When I first started, I transferred one of the stories from my blog over to my HubPages account.  Since I was notified by HubPages adm that this was not acceptable, I rewrote the piece and gave the photographs different captions.  After the rewrite, the article and photographs were accepted and published.

Oh yeah. I have had to do that, too. I'm figuring out that HubPages wants more of a "personal" spin on hubs - not just information, but sharing how we are personally related to the information.

5. profile image51
    coffee-makerrevieposted 5 years ago

may be your content contains duplicate contents. Better you should check your content by http://dupeoff.com and make them 100% unique. After that if your content flag as duplicate then you should contact with hubpage admin about this issue.