Do you think that the recent changes made by HP are helping or hurting us?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Petra Vlah profile image61
    Petra Vlahposted 11 years ago

Do you think that the recent changes made by HP are helping or hurting us?

Please be specific in which way are they helping or hurting.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6766280_f260.jpg

2. Anishpat profile image78
    Anishpatposted 11 years ago

My traffic has really really gone down recently. I was getting a lot more hits earlier. Not sure if it has anything to do with the recent changes. I am hoping not. I'll just have to wait it out.

1. joanwz profile image81
      joanwzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I've noticed a drop as well and I'm not certain if or how it's related to the changes.

3. Bedbugabscond profile image95
    Bedbugabscondposted 11 years ago

After panda quality content is not enough, it is still king, but a good web design is queen. Google wants to give readers a good experience. They have raters who judge sites and algorithms to predict what raters won't like. Changing the web design to be more appealing to users, quality raters and the algorithms is meant to help us.

All of the changes Hubpages makes are meant to help us. I have read a ton of interviews with Paul Edmondson, and checked out everything on his hub. I genuinely believe that he, and the rest of the staff want us all to succeed.

I think all of the changes are done with us and our readers in mind. Will they work? Who knows, Google can be fickle. At least the hubpages staff is working hard to make changes that they think will make us succeed.

Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good intentions are NOT enough; suggesting unrelated hubs is Stupid on HP side and detrimental for us. All HP cares about is more visibility for the site - Quality writing is rarely appreciated, but Quantity is

2. nochance profile image86
      nochanceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what you mean when you say hubpages suggests unrelated hubs. If the hub has a relevant title and is categorized correctly then all hubs suggested should be related. I have not had a problem with this.

3. Bedbugabscond profile image95
      Bedbugabscondposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't either. All of the suggested hubs /what others are reading have been relevant to each hub. I am sorry that yours have not.

4. Petra Vlah profile image61

Nochance'
      My hub "Adjusting the price" was about giving or not giving a tip to a waiter who performed poorly. One of the hubs suggested by the soever clever new format was a hub about "Adjusting beds".
      Is that "relevant" or what?

4. A.A. Zavala profile image74
    A.A. Zavalaposted 11 years ago

My traffic is fallen off by well over a third.  I am forever annoyed that the HP team changes formats or options THEY think are best for us.  We bring traffic to the site with our writing, not theirs.  We should be given choices and options on layouts instead of having them dictated to us.

5. nochance profile image86
    nochanceposted 11 years ago

I think all of the changes are ultimately good. As with every change to a website it takes a little time to adjust to but I don't think hubpages would do anything to hurt it's writers. They need us to survive. When we make money, they make money.

http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/06/new-hu … -sitewide/

1. Anishpat profile image78
      Anishpatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The question is: ultimately as in after how long a time??? I was getting major traffic before the change and now it has gone down and keeps going down... Which means I won't even be earning the pennies that I was earlier!

2. Petra Vlah profile image61

HP ultimate goal IS to make money and there is nothing wrong with that, BUT why would they not explain to us how those changes will help us? Many outstanding writers have already left the site because they feel unappreciated and sabotaged.

3. nochance profile image86
      nochanceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have seen no problems. My hubs have been getting more views than ever (though that might be due to the fact I've actually started writing on the site again). I dunno. I have no problem with the changes.

6. liftandsoar profile image59
    liftandsoarposted 11 years ago

I don't understand what's accomplished by suggesting several hubs by other writers at the end of mine. It gives the impression, perhaps unintended, that I'm endorsing them. So far I've never heard of any of them. Since I don't understand, I'm not sure how to evaluate. I guess I wonder whether my hubs are appearing at the end of other hubbers' work.

That is a lousy move on HP's part; diverting attention from one hub and its author and suggesting other hubs (some of them completely unrelated) is plain stupid. I would not mind if they suggest other hubs by the same author that I may actually read.

2. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This has always been part of the hub design - there have always been a list of 'similar' hubs - it used to be far more prominent, on the right so this actually a positive move if you don't want 'similar' hubs listed.

7. Bretsuki profile image67
    Bretsukiposted 11 years ago

For me, recent changes have seen an average 33% increase in traffic. Much of this increase is coming from Google in various places around the world.
    Most of the views have been on some of my most popular and older hubs written between 1  and 2 years ago.  I am not sure if the age and so long standing has been the main cause of this affect. But seeing a rise from 3,000 views per month to 4,103 has been rapid, in the last fourteen days.

8. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

With so many users there is no objective answer to your question. Hubpages are in a no win situation. When they didn't do enough and went into 'panic' mode many hubbers were not happy - and as you mentioned a lot of hubbers left.

Now that they are being proactive and trying to move the site along and anticipate problems hubbers complain - the new design is not even out a week and it's already a 'failure' according to many.

New designs take time to filter through the algorithms and to be honest a weeks worth of data is not enough time to give a proper answer.

Paul Edmonson has already been reactive to users and has asked the 'published date' to be removed to see if it makes a material effect on traffic.

I'd say give it a few weeks before making comments on how good or bad it is....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)