The approval process for minor changes is a real problem...

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Kelley Eidem profile image45
    Kelley Eidemposted 11 years ago

I really do need some help to remedy this.

All that was done was to change the Kindle price of my book from $3.99 to $4.99. One digit and my page is DOWN.

For that, the hub page - which has over 400,000 page views so far and sometimes gets several hundred visits a day - is now off line for probably 48 hours or more since today is Saturday!

To complicate the problem, I'd just sent out a link about two hours ago with a link to the page to my subscribers for the first time in months, maybe in a year!

What will happen is that my subscribers will start sending me individual emails about how the site is down. All because of a price change announcement. Maybe a thousand readers will click on the link to no avail. ARRRG!

Here is a link to the page in case there is someone who could resolve this.

<link snipped>

Thanks,

Kelley

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hubs do not go into pending after they are edited.  However, there is a new process on HubPages:  every time you edit a Hub, it goes through a Quality Assessment Process. 

I'd say what happened to your Hub was that it went through the automated filters of the QAP, and was instantly unpublished because it failed the assessment.

If it is definitely up and running again, then presumably a moderator reviewed it and over-rode the automated system.

Kelley Eidemposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Many of my hubs actually have high quality awards.

They just don't like what I'm doing apparently. One of the employees of Hubpages doesn't like alternative medicine. So maybe their attitude has something to do with that.

They have blocked one of my other Hubs claiming it linked to an ebook, which is false. I've written to them more than once, but they have never replied other than to repeat themselves. It's time in the near future for me to move along.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it has anything to do with an employee not liking alternative medicine.  Your hubs are published.  Upon looking at a couple of them, specifically the one in question, (which I see is now featured), I think a review of Terms of Use might help. 
          If you are selling your ebook in an Amazon capsule, is that not considered a link?
          I'm asking, I don't know.

The hubpage that they have disallowed is a different hubpage.

Hubpages allows links to books using their hubpage capsule because it generates income for Hubpages, so no, that is not a problem.

What I was referring to was a link from the hubpage to a FREE for pain relief.

There was also a link to FREE excerpts from my book. The reader did not need to opt in to see the free recipe or the free excerpts.

Hubpages does not allow links to eBook offers. There was no offer for an eBook on the page that linked to Hubpages. Basically, Hubpages was saying you can't link to a page THAT LINKS to a page. That sort of control is more than a bit much.

As an example, let's say I linked to a Washington Post article. You can be sure that there would be links on the Washington Post website that offer products to buy.

I didn't do that, however. My hubpage linked to free stuff. That page also had a link to more free stuff. Hubpages still blocked it.

2. Simone Smith profile image88
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just to be clear, the Quality Assessment Process, which determines whether or not Hubs will be Featured, and our moderation processes (which can affect a Hub's published/unpublished status), are entirely separate.

A Hub would not be unpublished for not getting a QAP rating sufficient to warrant that Hub's being Featured.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I haven't noticed this happening with my hubs.  Have you checked whether it was unpublished to a specific reason?

3. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 11 years ago

This is unfortunate. I first learned of your main hub at least four years ago when I was searching for information for a friend who had just been diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer that often carries a poor prognosis.

Then, later, as you know, I was in contact with you again. Your hub that's down is probably the most visited hub on this entire platform. I don't know of any other hubs with that much traffic.

Best luck getting this resolved ASAP.

ologsinquito

Thank you for your vote of support, ologsinquito.

I didn't know it was in the running for most frequented. Hope I don't lose my place during the downtime. ;-)

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

I suspect it is the topic that is your problem as 'Cancer Cures' is somewhat taboo from what I recall.

Interesting. Do you mean the Hub Page admins have singled it out?

You'd think they would have banned it outright if they wanted to.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Best to check it with them via email at team@hubpages.com but I do seem to recall they used to (or Adsense used to) have a rule about non-conventional 'Cancer cures' as a prohibited topic. Can't find it in the TOS here on HP right now, but it could be they are just cautious about that topic and what they allow now,  (in case it is promoting alternative drugs etc which is definitely against TOS). I don't think you would be 'singled out' I suspect automated filters would be your problem until they got to review the hub manually.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

The hub is no longer published, but a cached version can be found by keying in the title.  I didn't read the entire article, but skimmed the content and comments.  I would say it's most likely violating terms of use in some way, either over promotional, duplicate content or spam to promote hubs by mass email.  In all of your replies you are promoting your services or books.  Did you receive some sort of communication from HP?

Maybe your screen says something different than mine.

Mine simply says, "This Hub has been submitted for publication, and will be published once it has been reviewed by the administrator."

There was a previous message AFTER I made the change that informed me that all edits needed to be reviewed before republishing, and that it would take 24-48 hours for the approval.

My request is to have 24-48 hour window dramatically reduced, especially since I'd just contacted my many private email subscribers and given them a link to the page.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then it is under review.  When I click the link to you hub, it says, no longer published. 
        It appears it's being questioned for review by an administrator.  I've never received that message when I edit hubs, they remain featured.

Well, the double standard is likely to quicken the transfer of all my hub pages to a website.

6. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

No longer published

The article you are looking for is no longer published. The author may have chosen to unpublish it, or it may have been unpublished by a moderator because of a violation of HubPages rules.

Irrespective of reason.... Unpublishing ANYTHING previously indexed without a prior notice is, in my view a completely ignorant and malicious act!  It shows little respect for the efforts of the author and what it represents as far as their web presence is concerned!  This has also happened to me and effectively that action completely destroyed the hubs that had been on page one in their respective niches!!  The Interesting thing though was... that within 3 days of ripping down one of the hubs, all my keywords and subject matter had been 're-used' by what I considered to be 'more favored' hubbers!

I'm not suggesting anything like that here.... however the effect is the same... sad
    So... for YOUR BENEFIT... Republish your work on your own blog and drive traffic to it from here!  That's about the best you can do.... and if your position had been considered at all by HP.. they would also know that!! (Which merely highlights the malice or thoughtlessness behind the action!) 

This is not how loyal writers should be treated... the fact that traffic has been driven to this site as a result of our efforts with popular hubs should be reason enough (goodwill wise) to NOT bastardize our work with such Negative actions!   GRRRRRR   sad

It Costs NOTHING to treat People and People's Good Faith efforts respectfully!!  sad

7. psycheskinner profile image83

It is simple to see why a hub has been unpublished even without the email, just go to the hub and look in the top section with the black background, click on it to get more details.

8. psycheskinner profile image83

ETA you are making therapeutic claims for a nonFDA-approved product.  Hubpages is obliged by US law to remove that material.  Whether you agree with it or not, that is the law and it is only reasonable that they abide by it.  If you wish to take the risk of continuing to ignore that law, as many people do because enforcement is pretty lax, you will need to do so on your own website.

I'm not familiar with the law you are referring to and doubt its existence.

I might also add that my hub page is very careful in telling my story of how I got rid of my cancer. In answering questions I always let people know what I would do if it were me.

The hubpage has been up for 4 1/2 years on Hubpages. Others have disagreed with it and reported it, but Hubpages hasn't had a problem with it.

The present problem is the 24-48 hour downtime for a minor keystroke change advising readers that the price of the Kindle version of my book has changed.

They really need to change their policy by allowing a page to stay up until it is found to be in violation rather than assuming the page is in violation and punishing the author for a non-crime.

1. dwachira profile image78
        dwachiraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kelley Eidem,

I understand your concern. I have not been able to view and read the hub in question as HP says it could have been unpublished. However, it seems your main concern now is the duration it will take before the hub is re-published, the probable lost of business (traffic, complains, bounce visits etc).

I would suggest that you write an email to team@hubpages.com to alert them about the pending moderation to see if they can moderate it faster than the usual 24 - 72 hours. I hope you will get this issue resolved faster, wish you all the best.

1. Knightmare Golem profile image87
          Knightmare Golemposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The problem unfortunately isn't the length of time but the percentage of change that's requiring something to be unpublished.  Changing one small thing like a word or digit in an article means that while 99.99% of an article has remain unchanged, it is still unpublished while being reviewed.

The complaint is that this seems too harsh and there doesn't seem to be middle step between whether your hub is published or not.  Simply by having the system setup as it is might indicate an absence of trust even though the setup might have been laid out without that even being a consideration or  its been overlayed over another system with unintended consequences.  A level of reputation indicating trust to make small changes or something like the old version remaining up with a bar at the top stating that revisions are forthcoming and that's not the current version of the hub would be better, but who knows if that's even possible under the current system framework.

9. Kelley Eidem profile image45
    Kelley Eidemposted 11 years ago

Thank you to all who commented. Your help is much appreciated.

It looks like the hubpage is viewable again, at least from my computer's vantage point, because the previous message is gone.

The policy of temporarily killing a hubpage preemptively still leaves a lot to be desired. It should not be done unless a problem is found.

In my own case, about 5,000 subscribers to my newsletter were sent a link to the hub page in question only for the page to be unavailable. It probably would have resulted in a thousand visits over the next couple of days. That not only hurts the author, it also hurts Hubpages.

They need to lighten the thumb they place on the scale.

10. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 11 years ago

Hi Kelley,

This is GREAT news. The main thing right now is that this is back up and running. It would be a huge loss to your readers and also to Hub Pages if this hub went down.

All of those many visitors to that hub see links to other hubs from other authors, so the fact your one hub, with 400,000 pages views generates so much traffic helps everyone here as well.

11. psycheskinner profile image83

In my experience, my edited hubs do not go pending, they stay published.  That is why I suggested looking for a more specific warning.  Unless for some reason I am the only one not experience re-pending of edited hubs--mine certainly just remain published. Possibly your account is under moderation?

Apparently you are correct on that account.

In the not too distant future it will by bye bye to Hubpages for me. An experienced pro has offered to help me set up a good Wordpress blog.

My hubs have brought Hubpages a fair amount of adsense income. It's their right to treat me in the manner in which they have.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The action of the Hubs upon being edited is exactly what happens when an account is being moderated.

12. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 11 years ago

I'm a little confused. I often change my hubs on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday and they are never taken down or put in pending status.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone explains above that the unpublishing was not in fact related to the editing.

I don't understand Simone's answer. Then what was it related to?

Hubs are unpublished all the time either because they were checked by staff and found to have a non-compliance problem--sometimes the check is prompted by the hub being flagged by a reader.

You can see the exact reason why the hub was unpublished if you go to the hub and read the moderator's message. It is at the top in normal reading mode and in the right column in editing mode.

If you fix the problem and submit for republishing, the moderator will check and republish the hub. Until then, it will remain unpublished.

Sorry, but you're talking about a different situation.

The Hubpage message was in regards to an edit. It basically said all edits needed to be approved and would take 24 to 48 hours for the approval process.

That "guilty until proven innocent" policy on the part of Hubpages cost them hundreds of visitors along with a loss of potential income from those visitors.

The edit was, according to hub staff, not the reason for it being unpublished.

Edits could, at most, lead to it being made unfollow (published but not indexed) but generally have no effect at all. So whoever or whatever told you that--they were wrong. As Simone has confirmed.

But you could prove me wrong by going to the hub and copy-pasting what is in the header area with the black background. I am betting you will find the reason for the hub being unpublished there.

The message appeared as an automated response the instant I clicked the save icon. It informed me that there would be the 24 to 48 hour delay. That message is no longer available unless I were to do another edit which I'm not interested in doing.

Then once I accepted the down time, the message I've already copied and pasted above in a previous response appeared.

It doesn't matter how many times you insist the message said something else. I've told you more than once what happened. While I appreciate Simone's reply, I haven't been able to decipher its meaning or how it applies to what I've been asking about.

The page is now back up which is consistent with what I've related to here.

I think you are mistaking an automated generic publishing message for something it isn't. As Simone said, the system that unpublishes is not connected to the system that processes edited hubs.

None of that is relevant.

I told you what the message was, and what it did.

The stuff you're adding to it has no bearing. My Hubpage wasn't UNPUBLISHED. It was withheld until it could be reviewed.

I didn't mistake or misinterpret in the AUTOMATED, INSTANTANEOUS message that popped up. because the message said there would be a delay before the page could be seen by the public for 24-48 hours and that is exactly what happened.

I don't think it can be made any clearer. You've told me what you thought it was, but it wasn't that. Okay? Can you give it a rest?

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They won't be unless there is a problem with them already and you are editing them whilst they are in unpublished mode. If they are in 'pending' mode edits will 'reset' the clock, so you will have to wait another 24-48 hours for your hub to become featured. If the hub is already 'featured' when you make any edits (assuming it isn't on a 'sensitive' subject with regards to TOS) then it will remain both featured and published, but will have to go through the QAP process again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)