jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How many lines should I keep my paragraphs within?

1. mariexotoni profile image94
    mariexotoniposted 5 years ago

How many lines should I keep my paragraphs within?

Even when I think I've made my paragraphs short, I get a reader or two who suggest me breaking my paragraphs even further.

So how many lines about is comfortable for the reader?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

In print articles it is generally accepted that the first par should be about 50 words, 3 lines.  Afterwards as long as needed to say what you want to say.  Pars should also, where possible, be of diferent length to break up the page and not give the impression of a solid wodge of text; however, that is secondary to the par being the right length for what you wish to say.  I would imagine that there would be verty little, if any, difference to writing on line articles.

3. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

I think counting words is silly, but that's just me.  I focus more on forming a complete thought in each paragraph, while keeping in mind that small chunks of information are easier to read.

That said, my first paragraph is always just a little bit longer than the ad space takes up.  If you write the first paragraph and hit the preview button, if the text is a little past the ad space, that's where I leave it.  That way I get an ad right at the top, and a nice introductory paragraph.

Hope that helps.

4. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 5 years ago

I was taught that a true paragraph is 4-7 sentences. I think that is best for readability, in terms of the comfort level of the eyes of the reader, if you get my meaning. Short paragraphs make the piece seem shorter than it is and easier to get through, especially online. Excessively long paragraphs can be psychologically daunting for the reader.

But remember, each paragraph is one theme, one component of the overall thesis. It may be better to break up paragraphs sometimes, then again it may not. It depends, I think.

1. mariexotoni profile image94
      mariexotoniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

okay thanks- that sounds about good smile

5. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 5 years ago

Usually 3-4 lines will do, however it depends on the ideas you pop up in your mind.