jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Using free Images in your hub

1. chavelle profile image72
    chavelleposted 5 years ago

Using free Images in your hub

What is the procedure to effectively cite free images? I see where the window is asking for a "name of  source", "source URL" and caption. I understand the caption and the source URL. But who is the name of source? Is it the name of the site I got it from such as wikimedia or the name of the photographer?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image93
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I use a lot of images from morguefile.com. I skip the source URL box since every link counts towards Hubs being overly promotional. I do type 'user @ morguefile.com' in the source box, though, and I notify the user that I've used their photos. I may be wrong, but when I use Wikimedia Commons photos, that's all the credit I give and I do not link unless they specifically require link backs.

1. ptosis profile image76
      ptosisposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks 4 info: didn't know about over promote links to morguefile

3. ShootersCenter profile image73
    ShootersCenterposted 5 years ago

It's much better for ranking to use your own original photos. The more original content the higher your ranking will be.

chavelleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that tip ShootersCenter. I would never have thought that.

4. Sage in a Cage profile image80
    Sage in a Cageposted 5 years ago

When I am citing sources of free images in my hubs the 'name of source' is usually the username of the individual who has uploaded the image and also the name of the website itself. Wherever possible I try to include specific details on the creative commons license used. For example, when using flickr, I might insert 'username123, CC-BY, via flickr' as the name of source.

chavelleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Sage for making it clear. And thanks to all who posted their views. I appreciate it.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image97
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

The learning center gives very specific directions on how to do this.  I somehow missed them, and now am having to go back and rework ALL of my images!  It is a little confusing, but do it...it's the fair way to attribute photos from other sites.

6. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

This article from the learning center explains in detail how to cite your pictures. http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use There are many rules I didn't know about such as having to cite what type of license the picture has. This means I  am in the same boat as Timetraveler2 have to go through and re-do a bunch of the pictures and find entirely new ones for a couple hubs because I know some I have are only allowed for non-commercial websites.

The end of the learning center article also gives a bunch of great places to get free pictures that you can use in your hubs.