Looking for some mentoring please

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hello Fellow Hubbers,

Recently I published my first hubs and am utterly lost!

Being computer challenged is nothing new, but I am suspecting chemo brain is exascerbating the situation. The site is so vast I struggle trying to find what I trying to learn yesterday.
       I have been hesitant to post on forums asking questions that are likely in a FAQ somewhere for I surely have no desire to tick others off.
       Fear of breaking major rules and being banned from hubbing has me paralyzed and unable to try backlinks or anything.

What I am hoping is that a very patient soul would be willing to guide me as I find my way on Hubpages.
       With gratitude, Holly

1. relache profile image68
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well you might try reading the FAQ.  It's the button at the top of every single page on the site that reads "help."

http://hubpages.com/faq/

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Welcome Holly!  As a first step, I recommend you read all of Darkside's Hubs on how to Hub. They're simply and clearly written and they're all well worth reading.  The one on Capsules will help you with layout, especially.

They're all linked on his profile:

http://hubpages.com/profile/darkside

You can also post a link to one or two Hubs (not all of them!) in the Extreme Makeover section and people will give you specific comments.

Don't worry too much about promotion yet - get comfortable with writing Hubs first, then you can move on to more complicated stuff.

1. Paradise7 profile image68
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marissa.  I could use it too.  I've been using the same basic format since I started, and want to experiment a little with format next time.  This is helpful for everyone.  I clicked over there and bookmarked for later reference.  Thanks!

3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

What exactly are you "lost" about?

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

hi Holly, there are many patient, helpful people here, many with years of experience. if you have specific questions, just ask.

many questions are answered in this forum if you scroll through the topics.

welcome smile

5. TINA V profile image69
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

darkside and jimmythedock profiles helped me a lot. They published hubs about capsules and URL traffic.  You may also check it out. Welcome to hubpages!

1. sunforged profile image75
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

jimmytheJock

This is a pretty good selection of links to hubbers who write how to ----- hubpages

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Help

6. Blogging Erika profile image67
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

I recommend keeping a notebook. When I first started out learning Unix for my job, I picked up a notebook and took notes like crazy.  I've kept the habit ever since then.

Learning something like HubPages, with all the technical stuff that goes along with it, is a lot like taking a class in school.  Take notes just as if you were taking a class, and you'll find they can be really helpful!  (Just like they were at school!)

7. h.a.borcich profile image59

Hello again,

Thank you for the warm reception.

I have been reading and rereading the "how to's" and pages by darkside and many others. Somehow I am missing the part that makes it click in my head.

For instance...

I have published a hub on how I became frugal. Now if I create a second hub to expand on a portion of the 1st hub, is that considered a "backlink"? If it isn't a backlink, what is it? And is it ok to do that? And I would like to define what a backlink is since it is heavily discussed and obviously important.

For a few weeks I have been reading the FAQ and suggested reading, but I don't really understand the terminology. The frustration makes me feel really stupid. A glossary would be great since Webster isn't helpful with this.

Previously I worked in upper management and was very capable of learning and multitasking while navigating uncertain waters. Since all the surgery and chemo my ability to comprehend seems rather impaired. I feel grateful I still have somewhat of a grip on language.

Again, I do not mind having to find the answers on the site if I can find them. I suspect my understanding of the verbage without definitions is not helping my difficulty comprehending.

I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions, Holly

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No it isn't.  Sunforged has explained what a backlink is - it's just a link TO your Hub from some other site.  The more backlinks a Hub has, the better the search engines will like it. 

How are you linking the two Hubs?  You should put them both in a Group (these are different from Hub Categories, you create them yourself), because that will create an arrow at the bottom of the Hub pointing to the next one. 

You can also create a hyperlink somewhere in the text of one Hub, mentioning the other one.  For instance, you might say, "as I explained in part 1 of this series, "How to be Frugal" (words in quote are a hyperlink), ...

Both these things are perfectly OK to do. 

If you have several Hubs on the same topic, you could even do a highlighted text box or a links capsule listing them all.

A lot of the words you're having trouble with are, I suspect, general internet-speak and not exclusive to HubPages.  If you Google them, you'll get lots of information.  But do feel free to ask questions here, too.

8. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

backlink isnt really a hubpages term, although im sure there are tons of hubs on the topic just using google for that question would be fine

a Backlink is simply a link on a page other than hubpages that links back to your hub

so, no , another hub linking to your hub on being frugal isnt a real backlink (its an inlink) BUT its better than no link and its a great start.

i know the terms can be very confusing at this point..

In the best case scenario you want to write articles that are so memorable, other sites and other people create links to your articles on their pages (backlinks) ...search engines see this behavior and decide that your content/article is more worthy than others to appear early on on search results.

Thats the real reason and purpose for backlinks and its importance for your hubs

But since all of us marketers know that search engines like backlinks, many of us artificially create backlinks using various methods...our own sites, social bookmarking, commenting on blogs, signatures in forums, signing guestbooks on .edu pages!!!! ....and now its become a race to see who gets the most backlinks for a specific term.

Just starting out here on hubpages, just focus on writing the way you want to and l;earning about the tools at your disposal...have fun first, and dont be too worried about the rules...its pretty hard to break them unintentionally..the FAQ's have already been pointed out to you..plus a little common sense and your bulletproof..there is no no such thing as a stupid question, every single one of us learns a new thing everyday...the net changes pretty quickly, good luck smile

9. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

A backlink is easily added to a hub by:

Highlighting a portion of the text in the hub you are currently writing, then clicking on what looks like a horizontal paperclip at the top of the capsule, then when the dropdown box appears, it gives you the option to link back to your other hub.

Click on the drop down arrow, and select the hub you have previously written that you want to "link back to", and the URL will appear in the box. As soon as you click "insert", your selected text in your main hub will appear in blue, and if anyone clicks on it they will be directed to the hub you wrote, and that you linked back to.

Hope this helps, but if not, feel free to email me for other info.

Regards

Misty

1. sunforged profile image75
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is a way to create a hyperlink within a hub...but 99.9% of the time when you are reading tips about how to write and promote your articles online..none of us are referring to a hyperlink on the same domain (hubpages.com->hubpages.com) and the appropriate term would be internal link

we are always referring to getting a link from another domain that leads to your hubpage

ex.)   link from   frugalliving.blogspot.com -> hubpages.com/yourhub     BACKLINK

hubpages.com/yourhub -> hubpages.com/my hub internal link

the internal link has purposes particularly for speedy indexing but it is NOT a backlink

some general terminology guides:
      http://www.ksl-consulting.co.uk/seo_faq.html

http://hubpages.com/hub/Post-Hub-Pages- … ng-Lexicon

10. h.a.borcich profile image59

Hello sunforged,

I am almost giddy that to finally have a definition for a flippin backlink!!! Thank you smile It had not occurred to me to consult wikipedia. Duh.

Let me ask this to be sure of myself....
    If I made a hub about growing a vegetable garden, I could proceed to create a hub focused on canning tomatoes? Perhaps another hub devoted to my best zucchini recipes? And place the "inlinks" on/in the original veggie garden hub without a problem? I can link the two ( or however many) together if they are related subjects?

I have a great time writing my hubs, and I have darn near 20 more almost ready to publish. I am fairly confident in my writing and am having a great deal of fun with that part. My difficulty begins when I go to create the hub.

Again, keep in mind I have a limited understanding on the verbage when I ask this question: When I publish my next hub, rather than get myself bent up about every misunderstood detail, what would you recommend I focus on getting right first? Layout? or ?

Thank you very much for your help. I have made a big note to hit wikipedia when Webster cannot help me, Holly

11. h.a.borcich profile image59

Hi,

Just wanted to note a few responses came in while I was responding to sunforged. Otherwise I may appear more dense than I really am.

The specifics are great! I can learn that way!

Thank you all so very much, Holly

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Holly, you have some very fine tutoring taking place!! you're learning from the best. looking forward to reading your hubs. smile

(and we get to learn too!)

12. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Some general terminology guides:
    http://www.ksl-consulting.co.uk/seo_faq.html

http://hubpages.com/hub/Post-Hub-Pages- … ng-Lexicon

Not only could you physically link those related articles using the little chain icon in the text capsule, you could also stick the links into a link capsule or create a group as Marissa explained that would automatically link all those related hubs together.

look here:

http://hubpages.com/my/groups

You dont really have any reason to be concerned on how you link your own hubpages together...there are no hubpages created mandates on that and little to no negative  consequences on an internet level..link them together any way you feel like

After writing quality - layout is certainly pretty important - be sure to break up the text capsules give your lazy internet readers a break - show them a picture or some products - the occassional bold header or bulleted list

if you are interested in earnings, than layout is uber important - learn how to trigger the ads to appear in different places...Lissie (hub author name) and Darkside (hub author name) both have articles about this placement and layout options

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)