jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Is it considered a problem if your hub has the same title as another hub?

1. StephanieBCrosby profile image86
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years ago

Is it considered a problem if your hub has the same title as another hub?

I am working on an unpublished hub right now. My original title seemed a little long after I saved the beginnings of my work. Then I looked online for what titles were similar to mine. I opted to change to a to-the-point, basic title. When I was done changing the title, I got the message that there is already a hub with that title. However, the system is still allowing me to work on my hub. What will happen when I hit publish to make it public?

2. Ms Dee profile image89
    Ms Deeposted 5 years ago

I don't know what will happen system-wise if you go ahead a publish with the same title, but it definitely *is* a problem to have the same title. Yours needs to be tweeked somehow to make it different. It is not only a problem for HubPages but for you and your hope for traffic to the hub. If you can't think of a different title, get suggestions from others to help you think of a good but different one, I'm thinking.

StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think I will just go back to my original title.

2. Ms Dee profile image89
      Ms Deeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That sounds good, Staphanie. smile

3. Millionaire Tips profile image94
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

Basically, I think it means that you have competition on a hub, and the other Hubber will likely not appreciate it if they find out.  Also, you want to make sure that your hub is very well written so that it will stand a chance of being read (since you know you are competing against them), and also that it is not a duplicate (or close duplicate) to the other hub.

Thanks. I searched all the titles that other hubbers have used to avoid picking another duplicate. I have changed my title back to the original one. I do have original pictures and information that others do not include. It should set me apart.

4. bridalletter profile image82
    bridalletterposted 5 years ago

Use the google key word tool, look your words or subject up. Add a word or two in the title from that search that have high results. That will improve your title on two levels and solve the problem. Hubpages may call it a violation or ban it til changed. This way you can fix it before publishing.

Thanks.

5. zsobig profile image84
    zsobigposted 5 years ago

No, I don't think it's a problem. Plus, I don't think that it will cause any problems for the writer who has a similar hub (or same title) either. Moreover: if your content is original and well researched, you may have an edge over the previous hub.
    What I do know for 100% sure is you are not able to give the exact same title for a hub - at least not URL-wise. The URL must be unique, so no matter what your title is, you can re-write the automatically generated/advised URL for your new hub. This will differentiate your content from the earlier hub as well and additionally, if you are able to write a catchy summary for your article, your hub can draw more attention - even if it has the same title and is on the same results page with the other on Google.
    So good luck! smile

I think the summary will be a good way to help distinguish my hub from others.

6. kittyjj profile image70
    kittyjjposted 5 years ago

I think you're doing the right thing by not continuing with the exact title with the other hub. I agreed with the other comments here that it is fine to have similar title with better contents than the similar existing hub.

7. TripOchenksi profile image58
    TripOchenksiposted 5 years ago

I suggest you change the title to something different structurally on any website it isn't a good idea to to have duplicate titles or title tags. It can get the website penalized in some extreme cases I have heard.

Hmmm. I never heard of that before...being penalized.

working