jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Do you get mad when someone's Hub gives advice that makes it clear they have no

1. peachpower profile image60
    peachpowerposted 5 years ago

Do you get mad when someone's Hub gives advice that makes it clear they have no experience there?

What do you do when you come across a Hub in which the author gives advice that makes it painfully obvious that they've never dealt with that of which they speak?

I came across one today that I found very distasteful, personally, and it bothered me- maybe because I have a large emotional investment in the subject at hand. Plus, people are searching for answers that are actually HELPFUL, not search-engine oriented.

I realize that I'm new here, and I'm not trying to rock the boat. I am genuinely curious.

2. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I would disagree in their comments section and see where the conversation goes. Depending on the topic they may have a different type of experience or reasoning for their outlook.

peachpowerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, peeples, the Hub in question is over 18 months old, and the author doesn't appear to be very active anymore. So it would be to my detriment to bother. I was surprised at my reaction to it in the first place. Thanks for your perspective! smile

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Fly by writers trying to make a quick buck and then realizing it actually takes work annd giving up. In the process they put out uninformed articles.  It bothers me as well.

3. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

It annoys me when people give false information and encouragement to people to persuade them to sign up to certain sites, purely in the hope of getting referral cash. I read hubs by one woman who recommended various sites, giving referral links. One said she was going to tell people how she made money on Redgage. I have a Redgage account myself so I checked on her account, and found she had earned in total the grand sum of 20 cents!  I've earned 60 cents there myself - I guess that makes me a big success:)  You need to be able to trust that people are giving you honest advice about something they actually know about.  You can waste a lot of time following misleading advice.

That just seems like it goes against the grain of what this whole site is based on! I wish there were something we could do about it, instead of just getting mad/flagging it.

4. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Why not write a super-fantastic Hub on the subject and just beat them at their own Hub game? (especially if they appear to have abandoned their account)

I've actually done that and the better writer with the more accurate advice can win

I do love the way your mind works- I considered it, believe me. I'm a pretty sensitive chick (and I've been working damn hard to overcome it), and I was taken aback. Too MUCH emotional investment in that particular topic, I guess. Thx for your input!

5. Cara.R profile image76
    Cara.Rposted 5 years ago

Hi Peachpower,

Welcome to hub pages.  To answer your question, it could be for many reasons that some people do this. It could be that they truly think they know the topic. It could mean that they are; blowing smoke up your britches and just answering to answer just to get another question checked off the list. It doesn't make me angry but it does show that a person is either;  not paying true attention to the question, to give an educated answer, or they think they are and have failed, or they just don't care.

Hi Cara.R! As I read through the Hub, thinking about what you wrote, I believe it to be a combination of A.) answering to answer, and B.) not caring... Booooo!!! Thank you for weighing in smile

6. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

I don't get mad. But I get a little frustratied. Honestly, I vote the hub down because they are not knowledgable and have little or no experience in the subject.

Voting down sounds good. I hear you on frustration, I was too... Good to know I'm not alone here. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

7. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I agree with Iburmaster. I do not get mad, just sort of frustrated at the misinformation published on this site. I was looking at a new hub about "8 dangerous dogs" and it was full of misinformation. I left a comment about it but when I discussed the issue with another hubber, who has been around a lot longer than me, he recommended I just ignore it. Anyone who looks at the article through a search engine will read the misinformation, bounce out, and the hub will fall in the search engineĀ“s rating. That hub will cease to exist, or at least cease to be relevant. Maybe the same thing happened with that old hub from 18 months ago; it may have bad advice but maybe no one uses it anymore.

The thing that troubles me is if it's well written, the person reading it may not be aware that the information is faulty. That's unfair, and so sad. I would hate if someone took GARBAGE advice and suffered because of it. I appreciate your comment!

8. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
    LoisRyan13903posted 4 years ago

I never have run into hubs like this yet.  I guess I wouldn't be mad but if I did find a discrepancy, I would point it out in the comments section.

working