jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it possible to plagarise yourself on Hubpages?

1. Rebecca2904 profile image76
    Rebecca2904posted 5 years ago

Is it possible to plagarise yourself on Hubpages?

I only ask because at uni we're not allowed to copy and paste whole chunks of essays we have written into other essays we are writing, even though they are obviously both our work. Does the same principle apply to Hubpages, or are you allowed to use the same paragraph or two in more than one Hub that's about the same topic, or anywhere else it may be relevant?

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Plagiarism is when you steal someone else's work and then present it as your own.

Duplicate content refers to anything that has been published somewhere else on the internet previously and then reproduced here, even your own work. 

All "copied" content is duplicated but it's only plagiarism if you are stealing it from someone else, leaving their name off it and saying it's yours. 

If you use the same exact wording in multiple Hubs, automated filters will catch it.

3. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

According to Hubpages "Copying or paraphrasing another's Hub or one of your own, is not permitted on HubPages." http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … te-Content

But they also say that is about "[t]ext that already appears in whole or large part on HubPages." So what exactly is a "large part?" Is one or two paragraphs alright? Who knows. It is one more of those things they are unnecessarily mysterious about (like the specific words that will lead to an adult content flag).

My inkling is that one or two paragraphs is probably fine. If really short sections like that were a problem, no one would ever even be able to quote anything. Also, I can see a lot of cases where it would make sense to repeat small sections. Defining terminology, for instance, if someone writes a lot of hubs about the same topic.

4. brakel2 profile image79
    brakel2posted 5 years ago

Why would you want too copy your own work?  It is a challenge to think of new ways to express yourself even on a similar subject. It is duplicate content and not allowed.

5. Prakash Dighe profile image82
    Prakash Digheposted 5 years ago

I recall reading somewhere that the automated filters allow only 5% of the content to be copied. So I guess if you do wish to use some content that you've used in some other Hub, you may need to work around a bit to meet this requirement.

working