How would you react if this happened to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (56 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

A friend of mine complained a lot that she found learning new things was becoming harder for her as she was growing older. Then one time we actually started talking about this and I told her that I didn't know what to do about it, because it was happening to me too. I too found it harder to learn than when I was 16. I hoped that this would comfort her a bit.

But when she heard it she almost through a party about it. She said something to the effect that it was so great that I too had this problem and that it wasn't just her.

I laughed with her, because I was glad she was somewhat relieved, but this just kept bugging me ever since.

What do you think? Is it natural to react this way?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As we grow older so does our brain all of us experience at one time or another it is a part of life so I am joining both of you yes I have the same problem too!

1. profile image0
        Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But we can still try to do something about it, can't we? Some people don't seem to have these symptoms at all.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can do something about the loss of information, to an extent. You really cant do anything about the fact that it is harder to learn new information. Babies learn to talk just by listening to thier parents. I couldnt learn a new language that way now.
          As far as "seem"...its just that, not everybody is going to talk aobut it.

2. AEvans profile image72
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We need to use it more, work on things that are more complicated. smile

2. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depending on what you are trying to learn, sometimes it is easier when you are younger, but somethings are easier when you're a bit older. 
      To me it sounds like your friend is struggling to learn something, and was starting to think that there was something wrong with her.  All she wanted to hear was that she is not alone and other people have a hard time picking up new things as well.  As soon as she knew she wasn't alone, she was elated.  She no longer thought that there was something wrong with her. 
      Relax, it's natural.  Sometimes you have to tell people what they want to hear.  It's cool.

3. alliartist8 profile image60
      alliartist8posted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I think her response was natural - depending on the ages of you and your friend. I'm 51, and I find it harder to recall things now. It makes me feel better when my friends the same age say they're experiencing the same thing. It makes me feel like there's nothing "wrong" with me - that it must just be part of the natural aging process since others are feeling the same way. Your friend's reaction was probably just one of refief.

1. profile image0

I think you are right. I just thought it was well-known that this happens to most of us.

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Learning IS harder as you get older.
    She was probably very worried, thinking something was seriously wrong with her. Finding out someone else feels the same, was a relief. It isnt that she thinks something is wrong with you, she is happy to find nothing is wrong with her.

1. profile image0

Thank you, Justine. I'll go with this then. smile

1. profile image0

well, Im older then you, and I am a girl. and I worry about stuff. So, when I find out Im "normal" it makes me happy. Thanks for posting this tho, I never thought that a reaction of that sort would be upsetting to the other perosn. It makes sense now that you say it. I honestly dont think she meant any harm.

1. profile image0

Yes, I know. And I was happy that she felt better by it. It's just that there was this big celebration too. But I know she was thinking of herself, not me. I usually don't show my feelings this openly if I think it might be insensitive. But that's just plain bad for me, I guess.

1. profile image0

you just happen to be a little more thoughtful and considerate then most. GOOD for you. smile

4. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

No one wants to feel like they are facing something alone. I wouldn't be upset with her reaction.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yes, Pacal. I've done a bit of research about this and even wrote a hub about it. My mom and grandmother both had Alzheimer's, so naturally, I worry about developing it. I do all kinds of cognitive exercises to keep my brain active.

1. profile image0

There is this book I came across. I think it's called 'The Better Brain Book' and it deals with the subject extensively. Have all sorts of useful info. I can even send it to you if you want. smile

6. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I love to learn. I don't know that I learn quicker or slower as an old age pensioner. In fact if anything, my memory remains as sharp as it ever did.

I have a wonderful talent for remembering useless information for example. A great ability, especially at a pub quiz evening smile

As for your friend, she probably felt relief, as one or two others have already stated. Relief in the fact that she wasn't crumbling alone wink

1. profile image0

awww, lucky. I love to learn, and love to hear usless facts, but tend to forget them the minute they are uttered. I dont know if its age, or just my lack of concentration.

2. profile image0

Now, here is a real life example. I don't think the frog has any problem with learning. smile

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, Froggie! I also love to learn, and I'm a whiz at trivia. What I sometimes have trouble remembering are things from years past. Luckily, I have old friends to help, and when there's something they can't remember from when we were kids, I can often fill in the gap. Together, we have great collective memory! lol

8. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well I think my short term memory is shot.

1. Jo Woodward profile image60
      Jo Woodwardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha lol

9. Flightkeeper profile image67

Well I think my short term memory is shot.

1. profile image0

whats extra funny, is it double posted!!!

1. profile image0

lol It was either purely intentional or she is telling the truth.

2. Jo Woodward profile image60
      Jo Woodwardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why me laugh? hmm

10. Flightkeeper profile image67

Did I tell you that my short term memory is shot?

lol

I double-posted intentionally big_smile

1. profile image0

see, extra funny.  oh wait, did I say that already?

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know. Did you? hmm

1. profile image0

dude, what?

11. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

there seems a lot of double tak in here

12. profile image0
    Pacal Votanposted 14 years ago

Fortunately, the forum is for short-minded people. It retains all data.

Please explain what that means, in a way I can understand easier.

What was it you were talking about Pacal? neutral

1. profile image0

lol So you are in the mood. I saw yesterday's chit-chat too. big_smile

2. profile image0

Oh yeah, the only problem is, I aslo have a short attetnion span and dont like reading thru pages of old posts...
      oh yeah, I was going to email you today...

1. profile image0

I just quoted this so you won't forget. big_smile

1. profile image0

bump
          oh yeah, I forgot, we aren't supposed to that anymore.  smile I have to go, a friend is calling, Ill check back in later.
          hugs

I'll remind you. In case you forget.

Hopefully someone else will remind me what it is I'm intending to remind you about neutral

1. profile image0

did you ever tie a string around your finger, and later see it, and think...why the hell is there a string on my finger?

1. profile image0

I never understood that.  Why wouldn't you just write a note and put it in your pocket.  What in the hell is a string gonna do besides cut off circulation?

1. profile image0

but whats going to remind you to look at the note?

1. profile image0

What's gonna remind you of what the string is for?  The whole thing is flawed.

2. myownworld profile image71
                    myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ANOTHER note silly!! wink

2. frogdropping profile image76

I always wondered when my dog would show up. Even if I no longer had one hmm

13. profile image0

lol hahahahha
    just look at all the funny faces.
    darn, now I have to pee again...

14. profile image0

whats up with the gigantic space you cant erase when you try to  quote/reply?

15. Zsuzsy Bee profile image83
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

There was an article not so long ago published by the Alzheimer Society that doing one or more of Sudoku, crossword, logic puzzles etc daily gives the brain fine tuning exercises. I'm an avid puzzle solver but still can't figure out how to change the time on the VCR/DVD player...

16. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

How are Peeps today? big_smile

17. alliartist8 profile image60
    alliartist8posted 14 years ago

I's only natural as people get older.  that's why, writing yourself notes & become organized, helps.   But, making her feel she wasn't alone was probably the best comfort she needed.

18. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Lot of great comments here Pascal, but don’t be too quick to dismiss your initial gut reaction.  As a clinician, and as a person with multiple family members with Alzheimer’s, my gut is twitching on this. 

What was your gut telling you when you posed this question?  Did you fear your friend was looking for an “out” when perhaps she may have issues a little more serious? 

Yes we may experience changes in our abilities as we age.  It is definitely known that memorization tasks become more difficult, but our comprehension tends to improve.  Many later-in-life students have been pleasantly surprised by their school success.  Yes memory issues are more common in the elderly than with the young.  Yes confusion is more common with the elderly, but confusion at any age can be dementia, and age trends aside, it is always a concern.  Women may have thyroid- or menopause- related memory issues.  Significant stress can impact memory and other cognitive functions.  Untreated sleep apnea can dramatically impact cognitive skills.  Significant memory issues at age 50 or 60 would be concerning. 

If it were me, I would tell my friend that since our discussion, I had some nagging concerns, and felt a strong need to discuss it some more.  Ask her for examples of the kinds of trouble she is having.  Maybe this will set your mind at ease, or clarify that perhaps your friend should further explore her cognitive status with her provider. 

Sometimes examples are dramatic.  A client told me once she had memory issues.  Her example was losing her favorite tea pot and much later finding it in the bedroom closet.  That was much more than an example of memory problems.  Please ask for examples of her difficulties in learning new things.

19. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Sounds like good advice to me ...what what your question??

Just kidding - you might want to follow up with your friend...

You found my dog? Thank you froggy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)