Do drops in traffic discourage you as a Hubpages writer?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Farmer Rachel profile image94
    Farmer Rachelposted 11 years ago

Do drops in traffic discourage you as a Hubpages writer?

Or does less traffic motivate you to write more good-quality hubs?

2. ithabise profile image74
    ithabiseposted 11 years ago

Just now it has because my traffic was starting to soar.

Farmer Rachelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too sad I hear that winter is a better time for HP traffic, so I guess we have that to look forward to.

3. carol7777 profile image76
    carol7777posted 11 years ago

For me as a new writer the traffic seems to be the same or close everyday.  I would love to open my page one day and find a huge jump.  I think it would be discouraging and encouraging ..depends if the glass is half empty or half full.

Good point, Carol!

4. Nettlemere profile image76
    Nettlemereposted 11 years ago

Drops in traffic when google have done one of their alogorithm tweaks I find discouraging because of a feeling of having no control over that. So I tend to feel grumpy and discouraged for a few days, but it also sets me to seeking out other ways to make money from writing so as to spread some metaphorical eggs in other baskets. In the end maybe some good will come out of it.

That's a good idea to investigate other potential income sources. Google's most recent update was a real bummer because my traffic was just getting to the point when I was thinking, "Wow, I might actually make some money here!" Oh well! LOL

5. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

This last Google Panda thing a couple weeks ago took about half of my traffic now and it hasn't recovered yet. At this point, yeah, I'm kind of discouraged.

Yup, me too. I'm starting to resent Google!

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read something last night that suggested that they knew their update went "too far," but no news on how they plan to fix the problem.

6. B. Leekley profile image85
    B. Leekleyposted 11 years ago

No, because I have never had a drop in traffic, because traffic to my hubs has always been negligible. I try my best to write good quality hubs. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, aside from being below average in hubbing productivity.

I don't know, either sad I enjoy your hubs. I don't know much about SEO but maybe it has something to do with your titles? This is a case of the blind leading the blind though, haha

7. CJWood71 profile image83
    CJWood71posted 11 years ago

I do not usually let minor drops in traffic discourage me, it can be difficult to predict what is going on with internet traffic from day to day.  However, I must say that the massive drop that took place a week ago has left me feeling a bit discouraged, to say the least.  Seems that we are all in the same boat, so I will just have to wait and see where we stand when the dust settles.

What really bothered me was that my traffic was starting to come back the last couple of days, but now today it is lower than it ever has been.  Certainly an issue that I am concerned with.

Ditto and ditto for me. Kind of discouraging.

8. tmbridgeland profile image80
    tmbridgelandposted 11 years ago

Yeah, I got killed in early June, 2/3 drop, and it never came back. I was starting to make a little money, now down to about 50 cents a day. I have written several Hubs since then, but no real winners. The recent drop people are complaining about didn't do anything to me.

I took a hit in early June, too, but then improved, now back down again. Oh well!! Nice to hear that basically everyone else is in the same boat.

9. soconfident profile image72
    soconfidentposted 11 years ago

It does a little bit but I think HP is going though somethings, but I know that will get it under control and by then I will have plenty more hubs by then.

10. howlermunkey profile image73
    howlermunkeyposted 11 years ago

At first, I was a little surprised. I got hit hard a couple weeks ago (probably.... my fault) . I was bummed for a day or two, but I then remembered what I've read so many times on HubPages... "long term" and "takes patience"..."just write and the rest will follow". That's exactly where my head is at right now. I'm not going to lie, I still check the stats page, cant help but be curious, but I'm not so concerned yet. I'm zoned in on getting to 100 hubs. Then it'll probably be 200 smile. Working full time and trying to write part time, its all I have the energy for lol. Just writing that "next hub".

Great answer! I think you're right to just keep truckin'. terall, if nothing else, I view HP as a portfolio of my writing - with or without pageviews smile

2. ithabise profile image74
      ithabiseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good attitude. My only frustration is that I'm entering the "long term" aspect of it, just completing a year, and the results are starting to increase nicely. Then WHAM! and all of what you've done disappears. That's tough! But no turning back.

11. RogerSanchezJr profile image61
    RogerSanchezJrposted 11 years ago

Those numbers don't really mean anything to me.  I just like to write and express who I am.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)