jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What was your greatest fear as a new hubber if any?

1. CloudExplorer profile image78
    CloudExplorerposted 5 years ago

What was your greatest fear as a new hubber if any?

Many of us during the beginning phases, and learning stages as a hubber were mostly lost, maybe slightly confused about things, or many of us just had no idea what we were doing besides what we knew best, which was to write our hearts out. If once upon a time, you were indeed loaded with any fears whatsoever about being a great online writer here, we would love to know what it was that placed such a thing in your mind. Also try to write about how you conquered such a thing, if those fears no longer linger in your mind any longer. (Ex: content issues, not sure about images, writers block etc)

2. cryptid profile image97
    cryptidposted 5 years ago

When I first started I really didn't think anyone would read what I wrote.  I actually started on another writing site, and wrote my first article a little over a year ago.  I was so excited when it got a few visits from search engines, and I made like three cents.  LOL!  Then I wrote a few more articles that got about zero visits and made nothing, so I started to think it was a lot harder than it seemed.

So, I guess my greatest fear was that nobody would read what I wrote.  That's still a fear.  It amazes me now that hundreds of people from all across the world read my stuff every day. I never thought that would happen when I first started out.

As for how I "conquered" it, the only thing I can say is learn as much as you can, especially about grammar, style and clean SEO techniques.  It's amazing how many people write here without seeming to know anything about keywords or even how to properly organize an article.  Nobody starts out knowing that stuff, but it's worth it to take the time to learn.  It makes this online writing thing a lot more fun. :-)

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Well I was clueless as to what would work here.  I didn't understand how Hubpages and its writers actually earned money.

I came here from being  a pretty well known blog guy on that ghost town site that used to be all the rage called Myspace.....so I had the COMPLETELY FALSE notion that my little stories about drinking in some bar...would be successful here too.

This site is NOT a social network.....no matter how funny my stories may or may not be, they will never be successful here because the income here is generated from search engine queries.

Oh - a hell of a lot of socializing goes on here - but if someone wants to be successful here with a numerical score, or with un-flagged hubs...they'll have to publish things that do provide some sort of informative value to persons who are NOT a part of this site's membership.

1. deblevey profile image60
      debleveyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What if nobody likes my writing?  What I write has always been intensely personal, revealing the 'real' me in a way that has never come easily in verbal communication.  I'm afraid that if my readers reject my writing, they are actually rejecting me.