What on Earth is going on??

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (36 posts)
  1. sparkster profile image86
    sparksterposted 11 years ago

What on Earth is going on??

I have just signed in to Hubpages to find out that my 2,000+ page views per 24hrs have diminished to virtually nothing!  One of my hubs which has been receiving several hundred page views per day ever since it was published is suddenly receiving no traffic whatsoever!  In addition, my 2nd most successful hub (on a completely different topic) has stopped receiving traffic too, despite being extremely popular for the last 2 years!

In addition, I Googled 'Hubpages' to be presented with a sponsored ad at the top of the page offering to let me create and publish a hub-page for $35!

2. AlexK2009 profile image84
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

I did not get the sponsored ad when I googled "hubpages".

Otherwise welcome to the traffic crash crowd.

My guess is that google are making small random changes more often. This is not related to the quality of your hubs ( HP do tend to blame the victim), since the hub has not changed but some other event.  Perhaps it became unfeatured or google just decided to remove it. Did you google for that hub  or simiar topics.

Another possibility is that HP'a automatic tagger  finally got round to removing your tags and replaced them with worthless ones.

I hope someone can come up with better and more likely ideas.

Another possibility is that Google are marking down hubs of "minority" interest, i.e those which advertisers do not bid for so for a keyword like "poltergeist"  pages referring to the movie get marked up and pages referring to cases or serious research get marked down.

sparksterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The hubs in question are still coming up as the 1st result in Google searches.  In addition, the 2 hubs I'm referring to are both based on some of the most popular topics on the internet.  The hubs are still featured. Just makes no sense!

3. Tricia1000 profile image64
    Tricia1000posted 11 years ago

You can read all about the drop in traffic in the forum under the title Serious drop in traffic.  We are all affected.

I did experience a drop like everyone else but this was resolved once Hubpages made their changes and my traffic then tripled (as did my earnings)... until today!

4. sleepylog profile image60
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

I too have been experiencing a big drop in traffic, going from almost 200 views a day to less than 30. It's very frustrating and I'm already thinking about leaving HP and taking my hubs elsewhere.

1. AlexK2009 profile image84
      AlexK2009posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same thing happened to me.

HP still brings in more than anywhere else but is rapidly going down hill in terms of income and traffic.  I Will review again in the new year.

5. joanwz profile image80
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

It could just be a drop in traffic do to it being the last weekend of shopping before Christmas and everyone traveling for the holidays. It may be a bit slow until the first of the year

1. AlexK2009 profile image84

If it had not been happening for some months now I would agree with you.
      I am not however ready to keep putting effort in that brings ever decreasing reward.

6. UnnamedHarald profile image93
    UnnamedHaraldposted 11 years ago

Hubpages' secure certificate expired. It was (within an hour or two) updated and is now current. Apparently, that is the main problem and views should start to pick up. I'd say my views dropped by 75%.

now that is a very good answer and I sincerely hope that you are correct!

2. AlexK2009 profile image84

We will see

7. somethgblue profile image73
    somethgblueposted 11 years ago

You are so right Sparkster for the last three months my Hubs have been averaging 1,500 page views a day, now they are down to 150.

It is ridiculous, I guarantee you it has nothing to do with the last shopping weekend before Xmas!

My page views are back to where they were when I first started and I also saw where they are now charging people $35.00 per hub.

This keeps up you can forget about me continue to publish here, I put in a lot of hard work to get where I was only to have it diminish to nothing.

It does feel rather degrading.  That site offering hub publishing at $35 each is obviously a guaranteed scam yet Google seem insistent on advertising it to us.  Google are trying to get us ripped off!

2. Insane Mundane profile image58
      Insane Mundaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do any of y'all ever wonder why Yahoo! & Bing don't favor this site?
      Sure, you get a few searches from them, but when Google drops the hammer, this site goes to the gutter.
      All of my websites and blogs get traffic from multiple Search Engines, ..

3. somethgblue profile image73
      somethgblueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What is interesting to note is that my overall page views have climbed from 113,400 to 114,086 which is almost 700 and yet my one day page views is currently sitting on 206.

So how I can gain 700 overall page views but only have 200 in the last day?

4. Insane Mundane profile image58

@Somethgblue:  Just to cut to the chase, is your daily income about the same or has it declined or increased over the last few days?

5. somethgblue profile image73

It has fallen by two dollars a day, which is significant for me.

6. Insane Mundane profile image58

Yikes!

8. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

Things are constantly changing here on the hub pages, and Google is one of the main reasons behind all of this. Here's a hub that shows the numbers, and they have been in a steady decline for some time now - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Google-vs-the-Hub-Pages Hopefully at some point down the road things will start to improve for all of us here at the hub pages.

9. Insane Mundane profile image58
    Insane Mundaneposted 11 years ago

...More reasons why one should never put all of their eggs in one basket, duh!
    ...Algorithm changes, updates, glitches in stats, sandbox of utter Spam and link abuse via social networks, blah, blah, all end up making some people panic when their traffic drops significantly.
    Hey, if it gets too bad for some of y'all, just move that crap on over to your own domains and personal blogs and build from there without the constant changes, strict rules and bombardment of TOS baloney.
    I found the last couple of days to be funny on here, because my higher traffic hubs dropped in hits and some of my lower traffic Hubs went up.  Hey, you need some fried spicy Mackerel patties?  LOL!

1. somethgblue profile image73

C'mon Clint how do you go from 1,500 a day to 150, it is ridiculous, beyond absurd. My best Hub averaged 75 page views for 10 months straight then just drops to five, hello anybody home?

2. Insane Mundane profile image58

Well, Daniel, Dan or whatever, I told you what some of your problems may be on your Planet X Hub, just a few moments ago.
      The hammer comes down all the time, then the nail occasionally rises back up due to the boards getting crushed - a cycle...

3. sparkster profile image86

Considering how many hubbers this is affecting, their strategies, etc that explains just about nothing.

4. Insane Mundane profile image58

...Algorithm changes, updates, glitches in stats, sandbox of utter Spam and link abuse via social networks, blah, blah, all end up making some people panic when their traffic drops significantly......explains nothing, eh?
      Uh, okay then...

5. sparkster profile image86

As it turns out it seems to be some kind of glitch so we'll see.

6. Insane Mundane profile image58

A glitch is one of the possibilities, but my Google AdSense stats match up with the ones here, so I'd blame it more on an algorithm change due to the abuse found here, but it could all straighten out in a few, depending on the Booble/Google flow...

7. somethgblue profile image73

What if it is the recent Hub Page newsletter siting incorrect photo attribution, because I'm guilty of this infraction I may just go back and delete all incorrect photo links and see if that helps?

8. Insane Mundane profile image58

I wouldn't bother, as the G-bots just look at those attributions as outbound links.  I thought the photo thingy was a HubPages preference due to the worries of copyright infringement, and nothing more.  In fact, traffic via image searches is good...

9. somethgblue profile image73

Over half of all 132 of my Hubs have dropped from double digit page view numbers to 0 in one day and of those ten have dropped from triple digits to ZERO!

THAT IS A SERIOUS GLITCH . . . !

10. sparkster profile image86

Yes it was a glitch and is now resolved.  Proves who the liar is, eh?

11. Insane Mundane profile image58

That's why I figured it was a possibility.  This site has had so many glitches in the past.  Unless less people are online, there must have also been a Google update; now some of my other sites have suffered a drop in traffic the last two days; LOL!

12. somethgblue profile image73

My traffic is still only 167 when it is normally above 1,00o to 1,500 so the GLITCH maybe fixed but traffic isn't going up.

13. Insane Mundane profile image58

Going by a few of my other sites, it looks more like an algorithmic change per Google.  AdSense stats are still somewhat relevant with the traffic stats here, but I've also took a hit the last couple days on some blogs that were getting good traffic.

10. safiq ali patel profile image66
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

You know it is hard to say without taking a closer look to see what has caused this huge drop in traffic for you. Has it been some time since you last logged in. If so your account may have gone idle because it wasn't used.

Your pages may be suffering technical problems. If you sign into Google Webmasters for your hub pages account Google Webmaster tools will tell you if there are any technical problems that have caused your traffic to drop. Sign into your webmasters account and click on your hub pages profile. Then down the left hand side there is a button that says "health". Click on the health icon to see if there are any software or connection problems to you hub.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks for commenting, it's basically all down to a glitch.  All of my hubs are still featured, many of them still come up as the first result in Google searches, etc.  Was just a glitch with HP analytics not showing correct figures.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)