Why is HubPages considered a "sketchy" website?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 11 years ago

Why is HubPages considered a "sketchy" website?

I recently read a B2C (Business 2 Community) article that considered HubPages to be a sketchy website. The article also listed Wikipedia and eHow as websites that you should not link your website to or you would suffer the consequence of being downgraded for linking to one of these sketchy websites.

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

Wow, hope that is not the case.  Yikes, on the Wikipedia, etc. too.  I did have one incident that really kind of stunned me back a month or so ago, concerning logging into my HP account, and I believe, if I remember correctly, a message from my Internet provider came up, saying "Do you really want to log into this site, as it is risky to do so," or something of that nature.  I thought, what in the world, and it kept giving me that message for a couple of days, and so I finally just said, "yes," the site it okay, so it would allow me to log on.  I don't know why it would be considered "sketchy," but would like to know.

MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The comment, putting HP in the same boat with biggies like Wikipedia and eHow is what has me wondering why. I don't consider Wikipedia and eHow to be sketchy. And, I certainly don't consider HP to be sketchy. So, I wonder what the basis is.

3. sparkster profile image84
    sparksterposted 11 years ago

I'm extremely surprised that this may be the case with Wikipedia considering it's basically an online encyclopaedia which requires citations, verification, etc in order to have content added.  That strikes me as odd.  I'm not surprised about Hubpages because basically just anybody can sign up and post anything they want.

Thanks. I'm starting to see some logic. Wikipedia encourages citations and verifications, but it is not a requirement. People can still post to Wiki, but then their post would have a notice regarding the absence of citations.

2. sparkster profile image84
      sparksterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes that's true, though sometimes though do remove content if they find it to be inaccurate.

4. Anti-Valentine profile image76
    Anti-Valentineposted 11 years ago

Well look, I know that in the past professors at universities the world over didn't like students citing Wikipedia articles. But I think that attitude is changing. I know for a fact that some students have even been given assignments to create Wikipedia articles on a subject of their choosing.

HubPages and eHow are often branded as content farms, perhaps wrongly -- especially in the case of HubPages. HubPages strives for high quality content, which I think alone makes it different from content farms, which are by definition websites with low quality content.

In the end someone might have heard the website was bad, didn't bother looking in to it in order to form their own opinion, and just went along with so-and-so says it's a sketchy website, and people climb on the bandwagon. You'd be surprised how often this happens.

Oh, good point, Anti-Valentine, good point. We can't believe everything we read on the internet. After reading that article, I was quite curious. I wondered if I was missing something. Couldn't see why HP would be put in the sketchy class. Thanks.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image76
      Anti-Valentineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I personally don't think HubPages is a bad website -- or Wikipedia for that matter.  That's my opinion. smile

3. MarleneB profile image92

I'm with you on that, Anti-Valentine.

4. Relationshipc profile image88
      Relationshipcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it is probably just rumored to be sketchy and people are buying into because they haven't experienced it firsthand. I've been online a long time, and HubPages is one of the least sketchy places I know!

5. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting points there, Anti-Valentine.  Hmmm, must go for a visit on your corner of HP Town.

5. heidithorne profile image93
    heidithorneposted 11 years ago

I think some of the brouhaha deals with how Google may rank some content on the site. But let's look at this. HP has an Alexa.com rank of 460. That means it's in the top 500 trafficked websites in the world. It has a Google Page Rank of 6 out of 10 which is pretty good considering it's not an "authority" site (for example NY Times is a 9, WSJ is an 8).

Essentially HP is a site of "sites." This is like saying that WordPress is bad because there are horrific bad WP bloggers. Does anyone say WP is "sketchy?"

I view HP as another "platform" for content distribution, not a site itself.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, great to know.  Thanks a lot for the great information.

2. MarleneB profile image92

Now, I'm more impressed than ever. I did not realize how highly HP ranked among other websites. But, like you said, it is more of a platform than a regular website.

6. recappers delight profile image69
    recappers delightposted 11 years ago

I am going to guess that it's because hubpage authors are not required to show credentials in order to write something, and our articles are not vetted by industry professionals in the area in which we write.  We may indeed be very knowledgeable about our topics, but the vetting process is not intense.  That being said, our google rank is a lot higher than a lot of other social media platforms.

Interesting insight. It is good to be affiliated with a company that is ranked so high. That probably has a little to do with the writers. Right? Thanks so much for your answer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)