jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Why does the CPM amount keep changing?

1. paiva25 profile image83
    paiva25posted 4 years ago

Why does the CPM amount keep changing?

I understand that CPM is the amount you would get for a 1000 views, but why does it keep changing daily.
    Does the amount you get paid remain the same for the same number of views everytime?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 4 years ago

The CPM is based on what advertisers pay so it will change constantly.

paiva25posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Smith

3. profile image0
    chrisinhawaiiposted 4 years ago

Yeah, what Linda said.

Some topics will have higher CPM because advertisers will pay big money to have their ads seen.  For instance, car insurance advertisers can pay a whole lot more than free knitting pattern advertisers.

A good way to know what to expect is to check the CPM for your kewords in the Google AdWords Keyword Tool.  That measures approximately how much an advertiser will pay when someone clicks on their ad for that keyword.

Car insurance CPMs are often $20 or more.  Free knitting patterns?  I haven't checked, but I doubt they'd be over $1 per click.  There's just not a lot of money to be made there, so advertisers can't pay as much for those keywords.

So CPM changes all the time, and so does our pay rate.  It's a constantly moving target.

paiva25posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Chrisin,
      I've adwords a number of times, never noticed or checked the CPM though, will do now.

2. profile image0
      chrisinhawaiiposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oops...I must've been sleepy.  I meant CPC.  =/

working