Stolen Article

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. anglfire693 profile image63
    anglfire693posted 14 years ago

I recently joined Xomba and used it successfully the first evening to add some of my hub links.  The next day my account was blocked and when contacting the site for help, I was told that my account was blocked because I had copied it from 'here' and here was a link that I clicked on and took me to my article...but the problem was, it was on some site called tripledub.com and submitted by some adams.  Well I got it all straightened out, this guy who stole my article stole the absolute wrong one as it was an article in my "Great gifts for..." series so I could prove the writing matched mine, but not only that, out of all of the 22 articles he could have stolen, this guy actually takes the only one that has my name in the text of the article!  If he stole others I don't know, I couldn't manipulate the site well enough to get help and the site service people were no help after I told them I would not submit my content to their site because they were still allowing this guy to submit on there after it was proven that he stole my article.  Yes, they took my article down from his posts, but told me, "let us know if he has any other articles of yours posted and we will take care of those also." 

Anyway...my question is this...is there anyway to prevent people from stealing your work????

Thanks for the help!

Dana

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ugh these people make me sick :x

i started adding copyright disclaimers etc. but it just got too tedious so now i only add it to really personal hubs because that sucks when people copy your own life stories.

how they can respect themselves is beyond me.

anglfire693posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know!  I just don't get it!  I wish there was something more we could do!  I have also started adding copyright disclaimers!

2. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

The ugly truth is no.  There is no way to prevent people from stealing your online content.  You could get into the habit of adding a copyright statement at the beginning or end of your hubs but that will do little to deter those that are determined to steal.

Good thing that you caught it but know that it happens to all of us.  It even get's harder when you have hundreds of articles out there.

That is discouraging.

I did start adding the copyright statement and hope it will help.  I work hard on my articles...thats BS!  Thanks for your help!

Dana

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It won't.

3. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

How rude - stealing your article - I guess we can't stop them, but they will probably only "borrow" the ones they think will make them money. Next time he should read it more carefully and at least edit your name out. Sorry for your inconvenience. Good on you for figuring it out.

Yes, it is quite funny.  And her really didn't even steal a "good" article...it was just an article on gift items I was searching for on Amazon and figured while I was shopping, and spending all that time looking on Amazon, I might as well try to turn it in to an article!

Problem is, it blocked my Xomba account for 2 days while I cleaned up the mess, and Xomba seems to bring me a decent amount of traffic...seems more than the other sites I have submitted to.  And it took me a lot of time e-mailing and defending myself to Xomba to prove I didn't steal my own article and to please reinstate my account and then to tripledub to get them to take it off.

4. hublim profile image67
    hublimposted 14 years ago

You could look on the positive side; your hub was good enough for them to steal.

With online content you have to believe the cream rises to the top, people ripping off other peoples articles will only go so far.

The people creating quality original content will ultimately have far more success.

Keep on Hubbin!

Thanks for the positive thought!  You are right.  I try to believe that in life in general that what goes around comes around and Karma can be a bitch!  Can I type bitch in here??

LOL!

Thanks for your reply!
      Dana

5. Jery profile image60
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

I've found articles and posts on other sites on several occasions. I wouldn't really mind if I have links and they leave them, but I've found my content with my links replaced with thier link for the same offer!URRRR

I know, this is ridiculous!  I wish there was something we could do.  The article he stole was a "fluff" article, but I worked hard on it still...it was a Christmas gift idea article and I researched a lot of products to put on there! And he was getting paid for my hard work!!!

6. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Dana, check out this forum thread, not that it will make you feel better, but you are in good company.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/29594

I know!  I read it.  Hard to believe!

7. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I have had trouble with this on numerous occasions, the best solution I found was to e-mail a DMCA warning to both the infringer of my copyright, any service hosting the content, and to the ISP hosting the content. 

One of them will usually get shaken and remove the content, or force one of the others to do so.

Sites as large as ezine articles have found themselves shut down for days due to failure to comply with a DMCA notice.  Thats a lot of money lost, and the big companies pay attention to this.

The only site I have ever had any trouble having duplicated content removed is when an illegal site copied content from my own blogger site.  Despite a clear infringement of copyright blogger seemed unwilling to do anything about it.  Unfortunately there was little I could do legally in this case due to Bloggers ownership of content subclauses.

What is a DMCA warning?  Do you actually copyright every piece you write?  And how did you find out who the ISP was?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)