jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

How has your writing improved since your first article for HP?

1. MDavisatTIERS profile image85
    MDavisatTIERSposted 4 years ago

How has your writing improved since your first article for HP?

I would like to understand how you use HP as a resource for improving your Hubs.  Do you find additional inspiration from reading other Hubs? Do you use the specific writing articles to learn more about the mechanics of a good Hub?  Do you write differently for HP than for a personal blog or other publications?

2. NornsMercy profile image61
    NornsMercyposted 4 years ago

My writing has really improved since joining a year ago. I never attributed photos, I didn't use any of the fun stuff over to the right (polls, tables, etc.), and I didn't make the blocks of text easily digestible. I'll start every hub using a template (even if I don't stick to it). It's a great way to remind me to be a bit more creative!

I also would write in a really "slang" way, using words like "gonna", "y'all" and "ain't" without batting an eyelash. I learned that how I speak in real life doesn't really fly if you want folks to take you seriously. smile

MDavisatTIERSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi.  I appreciate your answers.  The overriding theme is learn from others and HP and your directions will help me watch for lingo, buzzwords and slang.  Thanks

3. Stephanie Henkel profile image95
    Stephanie Henkelposted 4 years ago

I believe that my writing has improved since joining HubPages 3 years ago. I've learned a lot from the HubPages community of writers, from tips on formatting to help with grammar. I've always had a tendency to be wordy, and I've learned to be more concise and direct in my writing. I use the learning center, the HubPages Blog and "how to" articles on writing to improve my writing and gain a clearer understanding of what good writing means.

In the last 6 months, as changes have occurred at HubPages, I've pushed to improve my existing articles by editing text, refining subtitles and changing formatting. I believe that my increased earnings are proof that this effort was worthwhile.

Thank you for your response, and for sharing what you have done to improve.  As a new writer, I did not want to assume how best to be a better writer, but to actually learn from people like yourself.   Again, thanks.

4. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

The apprenticeship had a lot of material on formatting, creating better, more searchable titles and subtitles, properly sourcing and attributing photos etc. Fortunately, all of that info is now available in the learning center here and it is a great resource.

Here, I make my articles and writing more professional and magazine like. Yes, I write it to draw traffic, but I also use my portfolio of hubs to get writing clients in general - not just for the web. So I learned a lot about formatting, breaking up text, using other elements. This helps make the work visually interesting, which in turn keeps people wanting to read.

I also learned a lot about "engaging" readers. Using polls, questions, quizzes or whatever to get the reader to feel like participating.  This helps a lot.

I appreciate you sharing what has worked for you.  Again, you've reinforced that the learning center is the "go to place" to help improve.  Thanks for the information.

5. profile image95
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 4 years ago

When I first started, I was writing essays and guides rather than websites. I wrote hubs with far too much text in each capsule and didn't use many photos. Once I realised I needed to add photos, I didn't attribute them correctly.

As I spent more time here, I tightened up my presentation and started to use less text in each capsule and more correctly attributed pictures. I now also use maps, tables, polls and quizzes in many of my hubs. My writing has also improved, as well as my proof reading.

When I look back at some of my older hubs (I am currently re-visiting all my hubs that were written last year and freshening the up and bringing them up to my current standard) I am amazed at how different they look.

Hi Robbie,

The tried and true: write, revise, edit, and rewrite.  What I appreciate about HP is the help that people like yourself are willing to offer.  Thank you for sharing what has worked for you on HP.

6. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 4 years ago

I've definitely learned more about the appropriate format.  Before writing on Hubpages, I never organized my ideas into different sections.  I just let things flow between paragraphs.  Now, I am able to make concrete sections and allow it to flow.  In addition, I have learned how to place images better to space out the text and make it look better.  I have also raised my standards of length to 1,000 words per article, instead of 750, which is what I started my standards at.  In addition, I have learned to properly attribute photos, and I have gone back and done so to all of my hubs.  I have learned how to make better summaries as well.  Observation is as important as writing as well.

Hi Ben,
      So pleased you responded.  I like your Hub on semicolons.  I tend to use them; realizing that they serve a defined purpose.  You explained how and when to use them quite well. 

Thanks also for your emphasis on formatting and organization.