jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do some people feel a need to indict an entire group of people with words li

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

Why do some people feel a need to indict an entire group of people with words like

"ALL" and "ALWAYS" when asking about a pattern of behavior they don't like? Examples given: "Why do ALL women like dating rich men?" or "Why do men ALWAYS date big-chested women?" I frequently see this kind of question posted at HP's, when descriptive words such as "some" and "sometimes" are a lot closer to reality and show much less preconceived bias. What do you think?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9042899_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I think it shows that people tend to see their limited world views as "how it is" everywhere.  We are kind of geared towards using our own perceptions to judge conditions, fortunately, many of us are able to rise above that and accept that just because our limited experiences depict something a certain way, doesn't mean it is always the case.   In some instances, perhaps it is a form of self-preservation or justification for a prejudice, depends on the circumstances. 

Someone who's been through several bad relationships may actually come to believe all relationships are doomed - and that belief shelters them somehow or validates their feelings so that they don't have to accept some accountability for their own part in attracting the bad relationships etc.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Christin, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

When speaking most people always speak without thinking. You have to think slowly before the words come from your mouth. Usually, at least you are there to correct your mistakes.

I have learned that 'vocal words' and 'words on paper' are two different things completely.

On paper you have to think differently - and more carefully - unless you proofread and correct any errors before the final publishing. Once the paper leaves, and someone else reads it, you will not be there.

bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Kevin, nice insight!

working