Why is There No Plural of "You" in the English Language?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (39 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Why is There No Plural of "You" in the English Language?

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

There is, if you live in Texas, where the plural of "you" is "y'all", or, for a large group of people, "all y'all".

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's great! And in NYC I hear it's "youse."

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is "youse"! My New York relatives say that all the time.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What fun!

4. profile image53
      Simran Mahtaniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's great!

5. profile image0
      GalaxyRatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Basically, in the South, it's Y'all, like Lisa said.

3. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

It's a wonder a standard plural for you was never invented. Or maybe there was but it is no longer used. In Ireland "ye" is regularly used, at least outside "The Pale".

1. alancaster149 profile image76
      alancaster149posted 6 years agoin reply to this

As in Scotland, it was the 'Aengle' and Danes who taught the Irish the English language as it was at the time. English Royalists and followers of James II taught them more and Oliver Cromwell's 'Ironsides' finished off the lesson. War teaches well.

4. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 6 years ago

Likewise in the North of England "you'se lot" or just "you'se" is used to address more than one, although that's just between people of the same status (working class).
    Seriously, in the early days of written English there was a letter known as 'thorn' that looked like a stretched 'p'. With the coming of the printed word and the Gutenberg Bible in the 15th Century the 'p' symbol was not included in the printing alphabet brought over from Germany and the Netherlands. So the letter was simplified to a 'y' (as if the top of the 'p' had been sliced off and the tail of the 'y' added). "Thou" became "You". "Thee", the formal address to strangers or those of elevated society that fell out of use had also been used as the plural address.
    In Broad Yorkshire, used in some villages or small towns, "Thou" and "Thee" are still in use. Quakers (The Society of Friends) also use "Thou" and "Thee". Confusing, innit?

eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That's all very interesting Alan. When the thorn character was replaced by 'y' in printed text, was thou pronounced as it is today, or was the 'y' sound used and thou prounced as you?

2. alancaster149 profile image76

In some areas "you" was pronounced as "yow". By and large it would be a gradual change amongst the un-educated classes. Among the literati and well-off it filtered through quicker (Oxford, Cambridge etc. Hang on, I'll slip into my time machine)...

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years ago

Eugbug

It probably wasn't invented because it would be meaningless. You is meant to speak to an individual or a group of people that can be tied together in some common connection.

The context determines the subject or subjects of the statement. The question that YOU wrote here ..... versus making a statement to a group, like the democrats at a rally. You must join me in making our party ........

My point is that the English language is beyond most languages in having multitudes of ways to say things, maybe too many.
    imo

The French use 'vous', it seems to be an oversight that English has no equivalent and all sorts of literary contrivances have to be made up to "fix" the omission.

It's a language for non-conformists, Eugene. French, German, Italian and Spanish are languages that demand conformity, otherwise they (make out as such) that they can't understand you. English is not as exacting; maybe it's why refugees flock here

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Alan, that is cold. At least we didn't adopt the masculine feminine nomenclature, which requires memory rather than rule. Spelling would be a lot simpler, if we didn't have multinational language roots. Translate to American is difficult. Cheers

6. J.S.Matthew profile image80
    J.S.Matthewposted 6 years ago

Just as it is in New York, in Massachusetts we say, "you's" as in "You's guys are all late!"

JSMatthew~

7. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Hey y'all, this neat discussion gives one pause for thought.  You see, youse have to understand that in every region of this marvelous land there are Americans with roots from all over this amazing world.  You'uns offer some clever ways to ponder the topic and it's likely it will continue to be fun stuff.  I for one am looking forward to how you guys continue to discuss the options.  Yawl keep it up now, ya' hear?  And remember, in parts of Texas it's okay to spell y'all, ya'll!  Ain't language usage cute?  wink

Marion Morris (aka John Wayne) appeared on a TV chat show here and declared, "I speak American, not English!" Course, I know now, it's "Texicana" (a mix of Scots, Yorkshire, German, Irish and Italian).
      Tha knows his ain clan was Irish

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ah am thinkin' that thar is a great quote to use when explaining America's English! wink

8. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 6 years ago

I don't mind if my answer sounds a bit silly, but for a humorous tone of it I'll say it just the same.
    I think that the pronoun "you" doesn't have a plural because the pronoun "I" is always capitalized---meaning that in those olden times when the language was invented, written English was mostly done by the nobility, so there was a dignifying distinction made between "I" and "non-I", and non-I didn't "deserve" to be specified as long as it didn't mean "I".
    When addressing another noble person, (just like these days), "you" was not used not to belittle the "non-I", but instead it was "Your Highness", "Your Excellence"...etc.

Thus, sorry to say it, but in my view it was a sheer linguistic arrogance of distinguishing "I" from "non-I".

I can see a little of that arrogance in other examples---like pronouncing Latin words English way. Latin is still an important international language often used in terminologies along with some Greek expressions.
    So, those learned academics could have accepted the proper Latin pronouncing---if they wanted to. Instead, plural of "octopus" being "octopi" they pronounce with its ending that sounds like "....pie"---not as ...."pea", which would be originally proper way.  Words with similar endings are equally mispronounced---like cactus-cacti, stimulus-stimuli.

When it's about Greek words, "homosexual" is wrong, because the word is not Latin, in which  case "homo-sexual" would simply mean: "sexual man". The proper word is Greek, and it is "homeosexual" (with an "e" after "hom"), meaning "sex between the same genders". Again, "homo" is the Latin for "man", and "homeo" is the Greek for "same". (By the way, it is properly spelled and pronounced in the word "homeopathy", meaning "same remedy as the cause of sickness").

But, who cares, I guess, we can always just call those folks "gay", never mind Latin or Greek. And "gay" used to be a nice English word for "merry"---so even there they couldn't invent something original. Well, ask me if I care.

1. profile image0
      ValKarasposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Let me add a bit to my little "theory" of "linguistic arrogance": note how in English there are no female gender forms for most of professions, like: a doctor, a professor, an astronaut, a captain... with some exceptions like an actress, stuardesse..

The '-ess' in these instances has been dropped some time now, Val.
      "God rest ye merry, gentlefolk" is the answer.
      (There's nowt so queer as folk, especially as them that don't want to be stereotyped).

3. RachaelLefler profile image91
      RachaelLeflerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's probably because the Greek word for "sexual" would have been "erotic", but in English "homoerotic" already meant something that alludes to homosexual behavior, so they needed to use "sexual" for the behavior itself, or the orientation.

9. Glenis Rix profile image94
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

Actually, I've noticed that here in England during the past few years young people who have not been taught correct grammar frequently substitute "yous" for the collective "you".  A reflection on the deplorable state of our education system.

The problem is Glenis, there is no pronoun for the collective you. So are they not being inventive?

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Inventive...can't fault that! Especially when pondering an honest question re a pronoun for you. But it is a very good thing to learn correct grammar and be well practiced in using it.

3. profile image0
      S Mareeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

In the Bronx of New York, "yous" or "yous guys" was commonly heard on the street in the early 1900's.  It was picked up by Hollywood & used in lots of mobster movies.  The character of Archie Bunker spoke it frequently.

10. Minhas333 profile image56
    Minhas333posted 6 years ago

You is the plural of you. The chart of pronouns I have read here in Pakistan says that you has on plural which is you.

11. profile image52
    Alex Dernstposted 6 years ago

I was always under the assumption that it has no plural because it was already being used as plural, in a formal form, for the word "thee" along with "thou".
    A bigger mystery would be why sheep, shrimp & moose have none!

They are a 'collective' form, Alex, along with fish and folk. So no 's' on the end. Different issue, methinks

12. melissae1963 profile image69
    melissae1963posted 6 years ago

In the English language, the plural for "you" is "you". "You" is a subjective pronoun and an objective pronoun. For example, we can write, "You are learning the English language." We can also write, "I'm teaching the English language to you."

13. deeplypoetic profile image73
    deeplypoeticposted 6 years ago

"You" is not the only word in the English language that represents both the singular and plural versions of the word.  I do not believe that it is grammatically incorrect to say "you all, " if it bothers you to say "you" in a plural context.  However, "you" is singular and plural.  The only difference is in the reflexive tense-- "yourself" is singular, and "yourselves" is plural.

The 'collective' in English came through changes in the alphabet through print, as I indicated elsewhere. Other forms were shared in colloquial Danelaw English with the parent language, 'Du' (fam), 'De' (form/pl), 'Deres' (form/pl), 'Din' (sing)

14. Himangshu Goswami profile image58
    Himangshu Goswamiposted 6 years ago

You can mean singularly one person or many persons at once. It may be because sometimes when we say you we may not know whether it is singular or plural......

15. profile image0
    gogibsposted 6 years ago

Because when you are talking to just one person you has to be singular. The same way if you are talking to a group of persons you takes on plural form. And ways of talking will also come with added words like: You people, all of you, you guys.

16. RachaelLefler profile image91
    RachaelLeflerposted 6 years ago

In the Midwest, we say "you guys".
    Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.Your answer is too short. Please make it longer.

17. profile image0
    S Mareeposted 6 years ago

I remember in the old days people saying " yourn".  Don't know where it  came from, but my family has a Scots-Irish line.  Sorta sounds hill-billy.  A lot of the hill folks kept usages long discarded by advancing English.  Not sure if "yourn" was meant for "yours" or a plural of "you".

Am I on track or a foul ball in left field?

North of the Border the Picts and Scots learned their English from the Northumbrian Angles and Anglo-Danes who took land as far as Edinburgh (Pictish: Dinas Eidin, Gaelic: Dunedin. "Your'n" is "your one" or "yours" ["This is mine, that's your'n"].

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)