How does someone get over 100,000 views when their grammar is awful?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

How does someone get over 100,000 views when their grammar is awful?

On top of that over 200 followers. Most of their hubs are seriously in need of grammar checks. They also have several articles that have somehow beat the duplicate catcher because googling their words shows that they are mostly duplicate. It's frustrating to work hard on HP then see a "writer" who has less than 50 poorly written, copied articles that are actually getting as many views as articles that time and effort was put into. How does this happen?

2. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 10 years ago

You can always report them via their profile page and have HP look into the duplication issue. As far as poor grammar and content, I don't know what to tell you. I can't seem to get through any hubs that have consistently poor grammar (unless English isn't the first language - that's forgivable).

peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I report when it is as bad as the hubber I found this morning, but I feel kind of bad doing it sometimes. I understand those who don't speak English as a first language, but even then sometimes it's just too bad!

3. ReneeDC1979 profile image60
    ReneeDC1979posted 10 years ago

hahahhaah great question-one of my pet peeves and maybe the grammar being so bad is so shocking everyone clicks on the hub- haha- i should test that out.

Lol, If only it was that easy!

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

I'm wondering if this is an older account with older articles? The new quality controls in place seem to be doing a decent job of weeding out poorly written content. I believe even the older articles have all been reviewed and either approved or removed at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if some fell through the cracks. Is there a chance any of these low-quality articles at least are not featured?

I suggest you start flagging the worst ones, including examples of poor grammar, and links to the original content. This should get the bad writing removed. Hopefully any new articles this person tries to publish will be kicked out during the quality control process. Or, if they are a serial plagiarist and are discovered, they will be banned from HP.

It is an older account, several years. I went through and flagged a couple of the worst ones and included links to duplicate content. It is time consuming to go through all that though.

5. Nell Rose profile image86
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I would imagine that if they are cheating in the poor grammar, and duplicate content then you can bet your bottom dollar that they have discovered a way to play the system! not sure how, but people do it all the time!

It seams it would be more work trying to cheat the system, than it would be if they just wrote the articles right!

6. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 10 years ago

I wonder, too. I've certainly seen some bad stuff, but if a good writer tries to help them, it usually results in a "mind your own business" retort. When I first came to HP, I was so nervous about publishing my first hub that it took me six months to work up the courage. I thought I was up against some real professionals and would be booted off. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that HP let anyone off the street in to the party regardless of dress or hygiene. It also galls me that those plagiarized hubs you speak of sometimes make the HOTD or the writer was a rising star.

I agree, they still get all this recognition for something they didn't write, or in some situations they've wrote the same thing on multiple sites and it is a violation of HP terms.

7. Larry Rankin profile image88
    Larry Rankinposted 10 years ago

As for the copying of information, with exception of using some referenced quotes, this is totally unacceptable.  I know we are supposed to report, but you can only do so much to stop this sort of thing.  When I joined hubpages, I was under the impression that they had some software in place to fight against this sort of thing, but either way, too much plagiarized material is getting through.

As for getting a lot of hits but having bad grammar skills, there are a few reasons why these folks succeed.  One reason is that they may do a good job of presenting interesting and/or accurate information and people are willing to look past the grammar issues.

Another possible reason is that they are really good at advertising themselves and getting people to look at their sites, despite the fact they are poor writers. 

It also is not beyond the realm of possibility that they might be cheating the system somehow, as in they have found some way to fool the software into thinking they have lots of hits when in fact they do not.

It is time consuming to flag everything that is bad. I wish they would write articles on how they manage to advertise and get viewers to articles that are poor quality. "How to Be a Bad Hubber and Still Make Money"

8. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

I admit I've wondered this and many other things, quite often.  It doesn't seem to me there would be any sensible or fair explanation......which is probably why we'll never know an answer.   In an effort to reduce the stress this causes.....I chalk a lot up to "some things just are.....& we can't fight it all."
    In this same vein of curiosity, peeples......let's consider for example:
    In the workplace.....How is it that some lazy schmuck with the IQ of a gnat, holds a position of authority and makes more money than others FAR more qualified?
    In the Family.....Why is it some parents will single out one child in 4 as the one they neglect and abuse, treating the others well?
    In relationships.....Why do some people seems to have it all, while others struggle daily to have some form of peace & happiness?

Know what I mean?   To say the least, Life is not fair.  We don't have to like it......but just exactly how do we change it?  Since not a one of us is all-powerful or have magic up our sleeve.....We need to keep on moving forward and waste no time on the BS!
    There are "several" hubbers here whose grammar.....and writing in general, makes my eyes bleed.  Yet...they are popular.....have high scores....receive recognition.....and the saddest thing of all is the COMMENTS from total numbskulls who make these deadbeats out to be Hemingway!!!!   If it wasn't so damned funny, I would cry.

I agree completely. I guess it's just frustrating when I spend so much time trying to fix my articles and people are out there profiting from others. My grammar isn't great, but I try. It seems some don't have to even try and still get the views.

9. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

That hubber may have had 100,000 views but that does not mean 100,000 readers actually read that article. If a hub has an appropriate title I will click on it, but if it is poorly written and does not address the issue I expected I will just go back to my feed and not even read it. My view still counts, even if I only read the first paragraph.
    I think this happens a lot. There are a lot of websites out there that are a lot worse than HP. At least most of the articles have been through QAP, but, like SmartandFun points out, the older ones were never looked over.
    But 200 followers? The people that followed should look at what they are doing. I have people that follow me, only expecting to be followed back, and they do so without intending to read anything I have published.

+++ on your last paragraph!!! I appreciate followers, but really what's the point in having them if they are not reading what you are writing. Some of these followers this hubber had are long time hubbers that write well. Makes no sense!

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I recently read a very poorly written hub, and one of the "glowing" comments came from a well-respected long-time hubber. I don't think that helps anyone. If your hub stinks from a writing standpoint, I either try to help you or I do not comment.

3. peeples profile image92

That is annoying! My writing is far from perfect. If I write something with huge issues I'd much rather a respected Hubber let me know than praise crap!

10. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Thanks for bringing this up, peeples. It's a touchy subject I wonder a lot about, almost daily. A lot of glaring things at HP totally confuse me. I stopped trying to figure it all out because it doesn't seem to change, nor are these things addressed. It seems that only courageous hubbers as yourself will call attention to these matters without fear of offending. I applaud you.
    I do use the Hub Hopper regularly to help rate these hubs but this problem is so much bigger that participation in Hub Hopper QAP. I think when friendships form over time on HP, those bonds are very strong. Hubbers continue to support each other, regardless of quality. It also may be that some hubbers over the years gain a following outside of HP where the topic or subject matter is more of a priority to the reader than grammar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)