jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Should you continue to follow Hubbers if they don't follow you back?

1. BLouw profile image88
    BLouwposted 3 years ago

Should you continue to follow Hubbers if they don't follow you back?

If you follow a Hubber and you are not followed back do you press the 'unfollow' button?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Why wouldn't you? I don't think the point of following someone is to get them to follow you. I think you should follow people whose work or topics interest you. They're under no obligation to follow you back.

1. chateaudumer profile image81
      chateaudumerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree!

2. Billie Kelpin profile image89
      Billie Kelpinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

totally agree as well !

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

This is not Facebook or Twitter. This is a writing site. The point of following is because the person's articles interest you and you want to know when they write new ones. I have over 400 followers. How in the world would I actually have time to read 400 people's articles? I wouldn't. So it would be unfair to follow each of the 400 back. I follow close to 40 and I struggle to keep up with those. So if I don't follow someone back it isn't because I dislike them or anything, it's because I am realistic and know I can't keep up with them. If someone is quick to unfollow me when I don't follow them back, I probably didn't want that type of follower to begin with.

4. NanLT profile image83
    NanLTposted 3 years ago

If I am following someone it is because I am interested in what they have written and want to read more. I make no consideration at all towards whether they follow me back.

Likewise, if someone follows me and after checking what they've written I decide it isn't something I want to read more, I don't follow back. Chances are if they then opt to unfollow me I won't even notice.

So if your motivation in following is to get followers, it's probably not a good idea to follow me.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image98
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I have a large # of followers but I only follow a small group of people.

At the risk of sounding like a snob, if someone "follows" me I take a quick look at their stuff and if they aren't writing about topics that interest me and/or display at least rudimentary writing ability, I don't bother with them.

There's no need for me to follow some random dude from Bangladesh who has two Hubs about the latest iPhone apps (or whatever) just because he "followed" me. I know that half of the time they're not gonna read anything I post anyway, they're just playing the "follow me and I'll follow you back" game (and will probably be banned in a short time anyway).

6. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 3 years ago

I don't follow Hubbers just because they follow me. My hope is that the people following me are interested in my hubs. I read other people's hubs but I am too busy researching and writing hubs to follow people. If you are actually interested in the person's hubs then keep following them. If you were just after more followers then unfollow them. If you are after traffic you could still get some from them.

You show up as one of their followers. So they may check out your hubs and you show up in the list of followers for that person.

7. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I agree with the others who have responded before me. When someone chooses to follow me, I check out their listing of hubs and will follow people who write a lot about the topics that interest me most. If all or the bulk of their topics don't interest me, I don't follow them because I wouldn't be reading those hubs.

8. Diana Lee profile image83
    Diana Leeposted 3 years ago

I only follow the ones I like to read.  I don't care if they follow me or not. It's not about that, but if they follow me I will look at their work.  If it interest me I'll follow them.

9. danicole profile image80
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

It depends, hub pages shouldn't be a popularity contest, this isn't twitter, instagram, YouTube or Facebook. If you like someone's hub account/profile and are interested in them, then follow them. I don't think there should be any expectation of being followed back. When I first started here, I thought that way, but it doesn't make sense. they are not doing you any favors following you back unless they comment, like, share, buy the products that you place in each and every hub of yours. By the way you shouldn't feel obligated to follow someone back if they follow you.  you don't owe them nothing and they don't owe you nothing.
    I think its cool that you can follow and be followed (it's flattering, nice and I really appreciate it) but it is what it is, because at the end of the day I mostly write for me.....

working