jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Why do accolades sometimes take more than the 24 hours specified to appear on th

1. Dressage Husband profile image78
    Dressage Husbandposted 3 years ago

Why do accolades sometimes take more than the 24 hours specified to appear on the profile page?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 3 years ago

Please note: Accolades are not awarded immediately upon reaching a Milestone. There may be a short delay (up to 24 hours or so) before a new Accolade appears on your profile.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#accolades

Accolades really don't mean anything.

1. Dressage Husband profile image78
      Dressage Husbandposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Linda, Please read the question I was already aware of that! I was asking why it can take well over 24 hrs to appear i.e. over a week or more after it was awarded?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Ask HP!

3. Arco Hess Designs profile image72
    Arco Hess Designsposted 3 years ago

It is most likely something to do with how the server is setup and the coding used. I would assume that they set up a bot to run every 24 hours or so that checks the database for changes and then implements them onto the profile page.

The profile pages themselves rarely change unless a new article is made, it's edited, or with the accolades. For most people, that's not very often! Thus, the pages are likely cached within RAM or even an HTML page located on the server.

When the pages are updated manually through the edit button, the page then sends a request to refresh the cache (the same thing happens when you publish an article). However, with accolades, it's different since they are not checked per post or per comment. They are only checked by a bot (most likely) since it would take up too much RAM and CPU to continually check for every single person every time someone posts a comment! (which is probably a million times a day).

Hence, they most likely use a bot to search through the database every so often, update the database with the accolades, and then send a cache refresh to the server, refreshing everyone's pages.

Closed to reply

working