jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

How important is your profile picture?

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image93
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

How important is your profile picture?

I know, mine sucks...but, I am considering changing it...although....
    I don't like pictures taken of me...perhaps I should stage a "good" one...
    To tell the truth, I personally do consider the profile pic before I click...am I way off base here??

2. Stephanie Henkel profile image96
    Stephanie Henkelposted 3 years ago

I think that it's a good idea to have a profile picture because it gives a personal touch to your writing. I always find it weird when there's a cartoon or picture of an animal instead of a person in the profile (unless the animal is doing the writing...). 

My personal opinion is that a profile picture should be flattering, but feature you as a real person, not a magazine model.  When a picture is too perfect, I always wonder if it's real. It's fine to "stage" a picture so that it's shows your best features or includes something that relates to your interests.

By the way, I think your profile picture is just fine...you look like a pleasant guy with a smile under that beard!

3. C.V.Rajan profile image78
    C.V.Rajanposted 3 years ago

Hubpages clearly state that real profile picture, real name and a real profile are great plus points in getting better traffic to your articles. I understand Google gives importance to it while giving priority in the page listings.

Your photo is fine except that it lacks clarity. Change to a clearer picture and things should be quite fine.

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

you see my avatar? It's my favorite cat, OUT. I prefer to put something cute to remind readers that I am a pet lover too

5. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

The word is sincerity. An insincere picture is staged and looks staged. Alternatively use an image instead of a portrait if you like (a good abstract image can speak for you). It depends on how you want to put yourself across, but the portrait/side elevation is probably a better option.

6. ThelmaC profile image96
    ThelmaCposted 3 years ago

Joel I think having an actual picture of yourself and not a cartoon, animal, etc. is very important.  To me it shows that you are serious about your writing and gives you much credibility.  In my opinion, that translates to being an authority on the topic you are writing about.

I think your picture looks just fine.  You look friendly and it makes me think I want to hear what you have to say.  By the way, I think this is a great question.

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image93
      Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Thelma.  It would be nice if when we clicked on the pic, it could be enlarged...

2. ThelmaC profile image96
      ThelmaCposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Joel, I'm not sure I want my pic enlarged.  I am large enough already! lol