Is the thrill of writing on HubPages gone?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image74
    pagesvoiceposted 9 years ago

Is the thrill of writing on HubPages gone?

HubPages is messing with our Hubscores and it is more frustrating now than ever before. I have been published in newspapers and a national magazine has published many of my articles that have been sold in Barnes and Noble and Book World stores across the United States and for some reason HubPages has dropped my score like a bomb. I really don't think I like it here anymore. Anyone else feeling the same about the lack of thrill on this site?

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Yes and no.  The ambiguity on the scores is irritating for sure.  That being said, HP is the only site of this type that is alive and well - and the reason they are still is that they are doing what they have to do to appease the great Google deity.

They've been willing to make some tough choices, and to be honest the Google rules are so ambiguous and changing; it's hard for HP's not to be as well.  It seems like they have to keep trying different things to see what sticks.  That drives my type A personality nuts, but it is what it is.

Unfortunately, online writing and traditional writing are two completely different animals.  Writing online (for search engines) is more "infotainment" and quick consumption geared.   If you want to make money with your writing online; you have to give people what they want to consume and well, most people searching online are not there to "think deeply" or consume literature. They are there for pretty pictures and fast answers.  This is where the high traffic (money for HP) is.

I prefer to do a bit of both types of writing.  I do the online writing, but I still keep my traditional writing skills alive.  I've been published in magazines and books as well and that writing is completely different than the writing I do online. 

I find that my blogs are better places for niche subjects that are more in-depth and geared to people who have attention spans.  Diversify - perhaps put shorter, to the point, matter of fact kind of stuff here that search engines like and have that point to your more meaningful, detailed work elsewhere.

I also use social media for the promotion of my work and more than half of my 1+ million views come from that - not Google.  I am not overly interested in trying to continuously please them.  I understand why HP has to though.

You are a deeply thoughtful person and engaging writer, one of my favorites on HP.  Don't let HP's scores get you down, seriously.

pagesvoiceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your kind, thoughtful and detailed response is appreciated and does make a world of sense to me. I guess it is time to step back and perhaps not take this mystical hubscore thing so personal, but deep down inside I do and it doesn't sit well.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12306729_f260.jpg

With the update regarding HubScores, HubPages is becoming a more precarious place to write.  Despite of what is said about HubScores, such overall scores is a reflection on the writers.  Outside readers see it that way.  Hubbers with a HubScore of 85 and below aren't simply seen as proficient authors as those whose HubScores are 90 and above. These are the unadulterated facts.  Any Hubber (deemed a good-excellent writer) will be increased if his/her HubScore of 90 and above has decreased significantly.  It will deflate his/her self-esteem.  Additionally, it will be an immense demotivator.  Why write hubs at all, they reason.  Many fine Hubbers will cease to write because of this update.  Some will even vacate HubPages to start their own blog or website.  This update is totally ridiculous-it is beyond demotivational.  Why not put an S on those whose HubScores decreased, they feel marginalized at best and stupid at worst.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Meant incensed, not increased.  Sorry for the error, typing too fast and the 10 minutes was up before I was given a chance to correct error in question.

2. pagesvoice profile image74

My HubScores were always in the 90s and then overnight it plummeted to 83. It was a sucker punch to the gut and I'm embarrassed by this score. I'm seriously thinking about pulling my articles and moving elsewhere. This is ridiculous.

3. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dennis, it is beyond embarrassing.  The hubscore is an indicator to the outside reader as to what kind of writer you are.  The lower the hubscore, the more incompetent writer the outside reader believes that you are. Hubscores mean SOMETHING.

4. arksys profile image83
      arksysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Outsiders never know what a hub score means. When I read an article anywhere online I never check to see their score before I start reading. if the topic interests me then I will read it. Don't worry about the score. it will go back up with time.

4. Nellieanna profile image69
    Nellieannaposted 9 years ago

Dear Dennis, I'm less enthusiastic about it than in the past and my score is like a see-saw.  Mine have ranged from very high to rather blah and frequently are unrelated to what I do or the traffic to my hubs.  But scores don't count as much as mutual peer support, which is a major plus here.  I write for more real values than hub scores.
    I still care about the community and the fellow writers, so I'm sticking with it.  I hope you don't become discouraged.  You are one of the GOOD GUYS!  Hugs - Nellieanna

Thank you for your kind words. Like you, my enthusiasm has waned and the new scoring doesn't help with my psyche.

2. Nellieanna profile image69
      Nellieannaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When I quit trying to figure out what the scores are based on, it helped.  Not worth the thought!  ;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)