My hub score. What up with this?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

I am presently putting together an article that is not published, obviously. But, I already have a Hub Score showing for it. Any ideas how this can be? Doesn't seem fair does it?

I mean how can you score an incomplete article that has not been published yet and a low score to boot? Lower than any article I have ever written. It should not have gone through the QAP yet since it has not been published, right?

What gives?

Oops! A little bit of a rant. Forgive me!

1. Healthy Harmony profile image60
      Healthy Harmonyposted 6 months agoin reply to this

It's understandable to be puzzled by this. The Hub Score for an unpublished article might seem unfair, but it's generated by the HubPages system based on various factors, including content quality, engagement, and other undisclosed metrics. Sometimes, the system might evaluate an article even before it's published, which can lead to an unexpected score. It's not uncommon for unpublished hubs to have lower scores, and this shouldn't necessarily reflect on your final published article. So, don't worry too much about it, and focus on refining your article before publication. Your score can change as you make improvements.

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 6 months agoin reply to this

You have been here one day. You haven't published anything so how come you feel qualified to give out advice on hubscores?

2. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Don't worry about the Hub Score. It will soon update when your article is finished and published. It won't impact your article getting moved to a Network Site.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image91
      Kenna McHughposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I don't care about the Hub Score until it hits 90 to 100; then, I think they're essential.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I like that philosophy!!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 months ago

I don't think Hubscores are worthy of concern as they have no real bearing on anything.

That said, I do sometimes wish that I was paid according to hubscores. They've remained high despite views and earning going down the toilet.

1. tsmog profile image84

Yup, agreed. However, why do I have a score, and it hasn't been published yet? The other concern, which is probably outdated, is in the old days they stated to shoot for a score of 80 or above for a niche site. I think or guess the editors don't pay attention to the algorithm score before they review an article?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
        PaulGoodman67posted 6 months agoin reply to this

I don't think editors have ever paid attention. They're aware that hubscores don't matter.

2. yuliss profile image59
      yulissposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Agree.  I have a low Hubscore, but still knock off HubPro published hubs every now and than.  Can't figure out what gives either. Those of you with 85%+ hub scores are amazing!  You not only write well, but know how to tap into the internets digital secrets, I guess. I'm still developing my skills for this.  Might read more hubs about it.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 months ago

The hubscore is meant to be a hint for us on how to write a good hub, so it doesn't seem weird to me that is appears on drafts.

That said, I agree it is actually useless and best ignored.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks! I am ignoring it at this time. I will depend on the editors to review it fairly and hopefully place it in the proper niche site. It can go into three possibilities as it is about health, medical groups, Medicare, and related to a personal journey with them. Perhaps, Patient's Lounge?

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 months ago

The author scores don't matter either.

I remember some of the heated arguments in the past where people got upset about their score, believing that they were the victims of an injustice.

I also remember one particular angry exchange where a hubber was laying into another writer for having a higher score. Even when it was explained to her that the scores didn't matter by a staff member (Simone) they persisted in their rage.

As Penny says, the scores are just meant to nudge beginners in the right direction and increase their participation.

5. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 6 months ago

If the hubscore column was removed in stats, the table would fit better on mobile devices in landscape mode. As far as I remember, the table has to be shrunk or moved sideways to see the whole table.

Yeah, it's a bit of a waste of space. I see the scores as a hangover from the days when HP was a very different animal.

6. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 6 months ago

An update. I agree with everyone not to pay attention to Hub Scores. I usually don't because most of the time they are poems. They are always moderate scores even the ones on LetterPile.

This is the first informational article I have written since 2017. I pushed the button and published. So, I have a score now. Whoo-hoo said with a bit of sarcasm. Not my best score. Oh well! 

From your experience how long does it generally take for an article when first published to make it to a niche site? I am a patient person, yet curious.

From my understanding of these forums, the editor will put it in the proper niche site if they appraise it worthy. Is that true from your experience?

They've been quick in recent times, usually a matter of a few days but it can take a couple of weeks. Of course, it can't be guaranteed that they will always make it to a niche.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks! I have no expectations other than hope and a bit of luck. Of course, being on a niche site from my understanding lends authority to the article?

The article itself is still dependent on ranking in the serps, right? Unfortunately, I did write an article on a saturated topic, yet I was inspired and decided to act on it. Oh well! I hope inspiration leads me to more articles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)