jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is one secret about your writing you are willing to share?

1. elayne001 profile image80
    elayne001posted 2 years ago

What is one secret about your writing you are willing to share?

I write better at night. Do you have a secret you are willing to share with us?

2. Jeannieinabottle profile image91
    Jeannieinabottleposted 2 years ago

I write better in bursts.  Sometimes I have absolutely nothing to say, but sometimes I can't stop writing.  Also, sometimes I do write for a specific audience hoping to make money.  It rarely works though.  People tend to want to read hubs that are written by writers that have a passion for the topic.  My most personal hubs usually get better traffic than expected.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 2 years ago

I only write when something pisses me off. What I write may be something non related, but when angry or annoyed I write easier.

4. RTalloni profile image87
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

I write best after a cup of coffee, I proofread best when I have taken in little to no caffeine.

5. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

I have a love/hate relationship with writing.  I've known since I was a child that I was drawn to it, and for the most part I really do love it, but there are some days I'd just assume smash my keyboard as sit down to type.  I think that's part of the passion for it though honestly; and so I am not too hard on myself if I break from it here and there.

6. Chriswillman90 profile image98
    Chriswillman90posted 2 years ago

I take advantage of those sporadic bursts of insight throughout the day before they dissipate.

7. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I accept that the first draft is going to suck. Names will be uninteresting, plot lines will be cliche, and descriptions will be pitiful. But, accepting all of that, gives you permission to use them, which builds the foundation. Sometimes the hardest part of the process is getting words on the page.

8. alancaster149 profile image86
    alancaster149posted 2 years ago

Not  much a secret, more a 'labour-saving' device. I've picked subject matter i'd already researched and had material about. Another aspect is that what I relate almost writes itself.
    We think we know about the 'Conquest' era, After all, at school the teachers whizzed through it at breakneck speed, about as fast as they told us about the 'Anglo-Saxons'. How does it go now, ah: 'William lands on the south coast in 1066, beats Harold and is made king (with a bit of a ruckus outside) at Westminster Abbey at Christmas, 1066.
    Really? I've got news for history teachers, it was nearly five years before William could consider himself 'safe', and another sixteen before he thought he could rest easy. He did rest, in a stone tomb.
    How does all this write itself? The background is all there, I just have to 'stitch' my story onto it, and the Peterborough Chronicle (E) helps a bit. It provides the bare bones, and the introductions to each book in the RAVENFEAST saga. 1066-71 were VERY busy years.

working