jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Do you approve or respond to comments when the person who left the comment asks

1. purl3agony profile image98
    purl3agonyposted 2 years ago

Do you approve or respond to comments when the person who left the comment asks you to follow them?

I've had a few people leave comments on my hubs where they might say a few nice things about my hub, but then add "I'll follow you if you start following me".  I never know how to handle these types of comments.  On the one hand, I think it is usually commenters who are new to HubPages and are trying to figure things out and get followers.  But on the other hand, their comment is only about them trying to build a following and generally has nothing to do with my hub.  So I'm curious:  When other hubbers get these types of comments, do you approve them or delete them?  Do you mark them as spam?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

Hi Donna. My take on this issue is "this is not Bubblews or FaceBook". This is HubPages where one finds quality and serious writers. I spend a lot of time in heavy research, writing quality, editing my work and getting involved in the community. I do not have time for people who are not serious about writing.

I love feedback and appreciate comments on my hubs. I do not appreciate someone wasting my valuable time. When I get sincere comments, I take the time to go to that hubber's page and find something of interest to me to read and comment on. I do not bother with people who do not take the time to read and educate themselves about HP and etiquette.

So - I delete such comments.

purl3agonyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  Your answer is really helpful.  I was feeling a little bit bad about deleting these comments, and I appreciate your answer.

3. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

I post almost all comments, unless they're just directing people to their own site explicitly. I don't usually reply to them, however.

Thanks for your answer.  I'm curious - why do you approve these comments and post them?

4. pstraubie48 profile image87
    pstraubie48posted 2 years ago

actually I have not had that happen on here but once or twice in almost four years...but NO I do not return a comment in those cases  or when someone just puts a rambling nonsensical comment

Thanks, Patricia.  I think your suggestion is the best way to handle these comments, but I still feel a little bit bad about it for some reason.  I guess because these commenters still took the time to visit and comment on my hub.

5. Kiss andTales profile image80
    Kiss andTalesposted 2 years ago

I agree, Phyllis D. But also consider this thought , I have not followed every hub I view
    not because I do not want to, some people do not notice the features,  some do not have devices that allow the feature, I write or comment from my phone and I am limited to what I can do. It also took me a year to learn how to look at features on HP, how to load pictures, many of my hubs and poems have no pictures, and it took a fellow huber to tell me how to go to settings to see my hubs
    I was assuming my work was visible to all
    No , it was not.
    So maybe we can think of other reasons not that people purposely do not follow.

Thanks!  I appreciate your answer.

working