jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Only 20yrs to payday

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years ago

At this rate, I will get a check from google in about 20years.  lol roll

I didn't really come to hubpages to make $, just to write, and I havnen't written a lot of hubs that would drive people to ad clicks, etc. yet.  (I haven't written a lot of hubs period, yet.)  But, just for giggles, I did the math.  Maybe I'll get to celebrate my 20yr Hubiversary w/ dinner on Google.  (Of course, going out to eat will probably cost $200 by then!)

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image81
      Hmrjmr1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It does take some time and patience. But it will improve with quality content and more (lots more ) of it! Just keep lugging away Good Luck! cool big_smile big_smile

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 7 years ago

Double your hubs and maybe you can half that time to pay-out, 10 years instead big_smile

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

hahaha smile

Same here, I will go out and dine with you then.

ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Its a date... 10 years from now we'll have a night on the town! smile

3. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

Hmrjmr1 - I certainly will.  I find it hard to eek out time to write quality articles.. and I don't want to just post sub-par stuff to up my hubs.  But, I knew that would be the case.  I'm just glad to be here plugging along as I can.

kirstenblog - Good strategy! That would come out to a whole $10/year... not bad.  lol

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how many times you would have to double it to say make a yearly pay out for your birthday dinner? That might be a fun goal. I do suspect that it does not quite work like that. I suspect that hubs help each other out, the more you have the more likely one hub will help the next, kinda a domino effect. I can't say that for sure but its something that seems to be happening with me.

I think you are probably right.  Its more of an exponential, then a double.  I think I have to get a few more hubs going to test that theory though! haha.  I got one more up today, so I'm at a grand total of 9! roll lol  Nowhere near your 79, you'll have to test the theory for me and let me know how it goes. 

And, $10/year will be fine for my bday dinner... As my husband once said - "A meal fit for royalty: Dinner at Burger King and dessert at Dairy Queen!" smile

79 hubs might sound like a lot but not all of them were written to get clicks and even the ones that are don't get many clicks. I kinda started writing without learning about SEO and keywords and my back linking efforts are for show really roll I tend to do back linking when I don't have time for anything fun like actually writing big_smile. I actually think I will have more success with amazon since its not as much about large traffic volume but traffic that is in a buying mood and targeting that kind of traffic seems a bit easier to me. I have actually started a series of hubs about a topic very close to my heart, something I really struggled with in my youth. I am hoping that they will really help people struggling with the same issues. I don't know if those hubs will really have any earning potential but I am less concerned with earning from them, helping people comes first with them. It would be a lovely surprise if they did earn tho big_smile. Google ad sense is still a little bit of a mystery for me hmm

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 7 years ago

If I keep up at my current rate, I should see $3.00 by years' end. I'm on the 50-year plan; you've got me beat ThoughtfulSpot. big_smile

Well Denno, looks like you'll have to order from the value meal if you join us! smile

Kirsten - I know hubpages has money making potential, but I too started writing w/o knowing the ins and outs.  And, I'm o.k. with that.  I'm glad you've found a topic you enjoy and that you can feel good about helping others with.  Its much more important that a few pennies here or there. 

I mostly write what currently piques my interest. But, I've written one article w/ some Amazon potential for fun... since I'm not counting on any income, I sort of see it as a challenge and a game.  If I can learn something new in the process, so be it.

Honestly, I mostly just find it fascinating that people take the time to read what I've written... it definitely gives me a smile.  Much more than counting my adsense cents, I'm looking forward to hitting 500 page views.  I'm at 420-something, so it'll be a little while, but I'm excited.

I am really impressed with the money making potential of HP, I have not found anything quite like it and love that you don't need to be a web master or anything like that. I have no problem that my first hubs were not written with seo and all that jazz as they were really fun to write and when someone read them it was a total buzz. I am always surprised when I get a comment on a 'product' hub :0. I don't think there is anything quite like writing something that people really enjoy. Hey even the forums are addictive lol. This really is a great community full of helpful people we can learn from smile

5. profile image0
    Denno66posted 7 years ago

My idea of a Value Meal is a case of Ramen Noodles; just right for my measly HubPages budget. lol

When I was in college, I used to make my own "pork fried rice" with the only things I could manage to keep in my pantry... white rice, frozen peas, hot dogs and soy sauce.

Meanwhile, my roommate lived on Ramen and frozen fish patties.

God save me from that diet when I start classes again!

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, it DOES beat eating cardboard albeit only marginally after a while...... big_smile

6. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

As long as you are enjoying yourself then that's what is most important, a happy soul smile

7. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

kirstenblog and Dame Scribe

Agreed. On both counts.

working