I feel like I'm failing

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (21 posts)
  1. chenderson00 profile image58
    chenderson00posted 13 years ago

I'm not sure if I'm just burnout out or if I'm doing something wrong. Here is a simi-short version of my issues....

I wrote for eHow for years, I was a loyal writer, whose content was actually somewhat decent. I was completely dependent on that income. When it changed over to Demand Studios, I declined and left. While I still gather income from there - it's declining.

So I decided to give Hubpages and Infobarrel a try at content writing. I have failed in every way possible. As you can see, I do not have many hubs. Lately I haven't had the time. (I work a full daytime job in retail as a manager) secondly, I don't have any motivation.

I feel like a knew the ropes of SEO and keywords before Google screwed their system up. Now, all the techniques that I knew are gone -- it seems that way. I've earned all of a few pennies here and IB. (I don't like Infobarrel too much). I love Hubpages format but I just get so frustrated that I give up so soon writing.

Plenty of times I've opened notepad and started writing a Hub and I just can't decide on a niche topic or just assume it's going to flop.

Has anyone really adapted to the new change at Google or started to figure out the new changes? Are traditional keywording and SEO techniques still VALID anymore? Maybe I'm just freaking out...lol.

Just thought maybe someone else might be having the same experience.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image77
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only way to fail is to stop altogether.

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

I don't think you are failing. Sounds like frustration. It takes time and all to really start earning from HP and with the upheaval in the past two months nobody is really earning like they were. Keep at it!

1. Sinea Pies profile image62
      Sinea Piesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you know if there are practical steps being taken by HubPages to strategize us out of this? It's not Hubs fault.  Google took a turn on their own. I feel like we need training on how to please the SE now that things have changed

3. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Yep, it is more a sign of the times.. I guess we joined around the same time and as our hubs started producing we got the Google quake and faltered..I guess it is the same else where. Cheer up, hopefully things will improve smile

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't think you ought to think of it as failing.  People (we writers) have had the rug pulled out from under from under us (or else, in some cases, maybe just had some other rug dumped in top of of whatever other rug and anything else was there).  People are all figuring out what the next steps/approach they have to think about are.  I haven't felt like writing anything (not just on here - at all) for quite awhile now.  (Between being exhausted from doing Easter dinner (etc.) and kind of exhausted with all the spare-time writing "issues" that have been going on, I just took yesterday to do nothing but fool around (including on here) a good part of the day.  hmm  There's only so much energy those of us who do this as a "side thing" can spend, and recent events have been exhausting for people in different ways, depending on the who it is and the kind of stuff they write.

I guess my point is you're far from alone (and maybe you do have a little bit of burnout going on).  It's not failing, though.  It's being suddenly faced with the challenge of finding new ways to approach things.  There are only so many pain-in-the-neck things that can happen before people run out of steam for a little while.  Maybe you should take a few days away.  The whole mess (with the new challenges) will all still be here when you get back.  smile  In the meantime, maybe some ideas will come to you (in which case, return early from your break).

5. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i am having a break from writing ( partly because very busy working) but it is helping- will start again next month. I have never done very well but I am watching traffic and adsense rise on a seasonal topic and realising that it can be done- yes i expect my idea of traffic surges (300+ views a day) is seen by others as low- but by reducing my expectations I seem to be able to cope with the change.
    When I start writing again I know I will start from barely 100 views a day but as I look at it, the only way is up

6. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 13 years ago

Totally relate to where you are at.  I too have a full time day job but hoped one day to switch to writing on line.  Many of us here currently feel discouraged, frustrated and not sure what our post-Panda strategy should be.  You are not a failure and not alone.  Just hang in here with the rest of us.  I'm hopeful things will be become clearer in the next month or two! cool

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

My opinion.

You are not failing.

It can’t be done anymore.

We are too late.

However; I, myself, shall continue for no apparent reason that I can figure. smile

8. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

You aren't falling.. you just feel faint because you are losing blood due to the fact that you were bitten by a vicious Google Panda

http://unravelingmysteries.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Scary-Panda-290x405.jpg

9. Dorsi profile image87
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

I have been here 3 years- and got to the point where I was getting a nice little check from Google every month (making about $300 a month combined) I also have a part time job so I am not dependent on just writing.
    The thing that keeps me going is I love to write, and I believe that love will win out in the end. When I get comments from people saying how much my hub has helped them, that's my big payout.

Write what you love, let that passion be in your words and the income will come.

You are not a failure, maybe you just need to not be so hard on yourself, take a break and let the words flow when you are ready.

10. tlpoague profile image83
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I don't think you are failing. I feel that I am one of the few people that are making money while everyone else is loosing it. I got to a point where I didn't care if I made a penny or not, I only wrote to write what felt good.
    I took a week off due to family issues and am just now getting back into the swing of things. It will take me a bit to complete the changes, but again, I'm not going to let it effect me where it comes to the money part. I think it time, it will pick up. Hang in there!

11. The Reminder profile image74
    The Reminderposted 13 years ago

It never will be a failure for me. Adsense is a little bonus for my love of writing on what I like. If adsense wouldn't exist I'd still be here writing hubs.

12. chenderson00 profile image58
    chenderson00posted 12 years ago

Wow, now I don't feel so bad. Well, I still feel frustrated but it helps to know it's not just me smile Misery loves company LMAO. But really, it helps to have the support of knowing someone else is having the same issues -- so I know I'm not just failing.

I really appreciate the helpful comments and cheerful thoughts....especially the panda image. Thanks fellow hubbers, now I know I'm in a bigger boat with everyone else. smile

13. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I wonder how long before the panda lobby sues Google for defamation of character.

14. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

I think they are working towards that with the initiation of the new rules that are now in place and other things. I'm loving the HP ad addition as I'm making money from both ends but I also have a blog and other sites that I write on for rev sharing.

The storm will be weathered, I have no doubt about that one. The biggest thing I think all of us can do at this point is figure out the best direction for ourselves.

15. DNemesis profile image61
    DNemesisposted 12 years ago

Christen-- I remember you VERY well from eHow since way back.
    You've always had very creative and informative content.
    I, too, feel like i've been failing sometimes. But then i try to remember that ive only had this HP account for about 4 months. Most people who are making money have been here for at least a year, and have a good quantity of hubs (mixed with quality, of course).

The best thing we can both do is keep on writing--even if it's only 3 hubs per week-- and remain patient smile

Good luck

16. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 12 years ago

The only failure is in not trying.

I write because "I believe".  I believe it'll all turn out OK in the long run, but if I don't write today then in the long run there'd be 0 hubs.

Have you tried re-writing all your eHow stuff and dumping it into hubs, just to get your count up and to feel you're achieving something?  You worked hard to pull your eHow stuff together, so why not just re-write it, freshen it up, for hubs - it's quicker than starting from scratch and inventing entirely new content for here.

I first joined some years ago - wrote a few pffft hubs and left it.  After about a year I spotted an income from hubs - and I got excited - and wrote a bunch more smile

I find now that I can probably manage two intensive sessions per year here.... and it's still lovely to see my old original hubs are still generating a trickle of interest.

If you don't write, you don't get... it's a long-term game.

Good luck!

17. Cyber Scribe profile image72
    Cyber Scribeposted 12 years ago

You have to think Internet wide and not just one or two sites. Look at your most popular articles on ehow and rewrite them and post them on HubPages. Then look at your most popular articles on HubPages, rewrite them and put them on InfoBarrel.

Can you start a Facebook Fan page for all your writing?

Many people are now talking of backlinking more than they did before. SheToldMe, RedGage and InfoPirate see to be the most popular backlinking sites. Also think of placing backlinks within your articles.

Personally, I've spent more time recently reading more how to articles on HubPages to see if there's something I should be doing that I'm not. I was on HubPages for about a year when Panda hit. I was just starting to feel I knew what I was doing. The only thing we do know is that things are not static and change in inevitable.

18. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 12 years ago

I had reached a similar point a couple years ago.  Burned out.

I would say that you should take a break.  Write the content, but don't publish it anywhere.  Be ready to post somewhere that doesn't seem as effected by Panda.

*Also, I am seeing a slight uptick in views for newer Hubs.  Pages on other sites don't seem effected. 

I'm going with my own model and am welcoming people to join me there, in addition to here, of course.

19. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image66
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 12 years ago

You are not failing at all. It is not your issue. I too have been writing for years now and it is only with these recent changes that my earnings have dropped and I know that it is not my fault.

The only thing that you can do is keep writing and hope that things pick up in the future. They probably will and even if they don't, even if you get 1 dollar a month from 10,000 articles, that's pretty good, right?

Writing is an investment, especially writing for revenue share. I am struggling to make a living from the only craft I have made a living from in 4 years but I am not about to give up. I suggest that you do not either as you are clearly talented.

For the record, I also had a bad experience with Demand and I know countless others that have also, don't worry, you are not alone.

Keep writing!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)