jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)

Would a cash injection or a writing competition inspire you to do a bit more w

1. sallybea profile image98
    sallybeaposted 2 years ago

Would a cash  injection or a writing competition  inspire you to do a bit more writing on Hubpages?

Maybe you don't need an incentive! 

I miss the HubPages writing competitions, could we please have them back again? 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12835603_f260.jpg

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 2 years ago

Yes, I'd consider entering the occasional writing competition - say for short stories or flash or something similar - every 3 months or so. That way people might become more excited at the prospect of winning? And a cash reward you say? OK, that'll do nicely.

Perhaps the guys running HP need a little more stability within the site, more time, what with all this uncertainty ongoing, before they can think of initiating competitions?

sallybeaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree to a certain extent about the stability or instability of the site but I think a competition might help motivate and connect writers to levels not seen for a very long time.

3. always exploring profile image84
    always exploringposted 2 years ago

I miss the challenges from Frank, John, Ann and Bill. I especially enjoyed the monthly poetry challenges.

I too loved the challenges and though I felt I did my most creative writing at the time, the traffic was short-lived for these hubs but my pleasure in doing those challenges lives one.

4. Kylyssa profile image94
    Kylyssaposted 2 years ago

The competitions were before my time, but, yes, I think I'd like either.

I think I'd be most motivated by a writing prompt challenge, one without awards other than a page that links to everyone's efforts at writing to the prompt. Completing the challenge with a hub that gets views would be winning it. Getting to read what other people wrote would be winning it.

The cash injection or cash award wouldn't motivate me much unless the prompts were so interesting they straight-up inspired me to write. I know I'd stand no chance of winning it and wouldn't get to read all the other non-winning entries without hunting them up myself so I wouldn't bother.

I am not sure why you think you would not win it!  I did and I received about 200$ which was quite amazing.  If the competition subject matter were green and brought in a lot of external traffic for Hubpages that would be a bonus longterm.

2. Kylyssa profile image94
      Kylyssaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm almost certain I wouldn't win any contest in which the judges were allowed to know who wrote which piece. People are too apt to judge a piece of writing through the lens of their opinions about the author.

3. sallybea profile image98

Kylyssa - a sad inditement of the human race.  I like to think that any writing would be judged on merit, and  not, favor.

4. Kylyssa profile image94
      Kylyssaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's nice to imagine judges can be unbiased but even a male or female pseudonym makes a difference, depending on the topic.

5. sallybea profile image98

Kylyssa
      I tend to take people at face value until they disappoint and I should say here that my winnings were less than stated here, the 200 dollars included earnings that month.  I don't mind admitting that money is a motivating factor.

5. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

I'm not sure. I don't write for the money, but I would write more if I had more time. I kind of enjoyed the flash fiction and other challenges from other writers, but entering competitions for money isn't my bag. I've seen some rotten stuff win Writer's Digest competitions. I would hate to have their judges.

We were allowed to write what we wanted and winners were selected on the hubs merit.  All of the money made by HubPages during the period of the competition was given to the winners.  I do this partly for the money and would love to see a little more

6. agusfanani profile image78
    agusfananiposted 2 years ago

Certainly yes. smile and I think many also agree with me although that is not the only one which motivates people to write here.

It is great to have a platform to write on and also very nice to receive some remuneration for doing what give people pleasure.

7. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Sally I wasn't an active member here when they last had writing competitions, however I love writing challenges and can never pass one up issued by other hubbers. If HP decided to run competitions I would enter for sure...whether there was a monetary incentive or just an acknowledgement on the blog, newsletter, Facebook page etc. Wow, $200 was a nice prize though..I bet you were over the moon winning that.
    If there was a monetary prize I would feel better if the competition was judged by other hubbers rather than HP staff..just saying.

Hello John,
      I was over the moon Jodah but more than that, I miss the camaraderie which the writing competition created.   I think I trust the judging abilities more from staff who presumably are trained to spot a good one when they read it!

2. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Sally, I suppose if the competition are on set topics or genres then the staff would be best to judge..otherwise those hubbers best to judge would also be entering.

3. sallybea profile image98

The competition I entered was not a set subject, as I recall it.

8. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

I joined just after they stopped the Apprenticeship Program.  If they had that, I would be motivated to start writing for HubPages again

Perhaps staff levels don't allow for this program anymore.  I would like to see a designated staff member regularly commenting in the forums about issues which clearly are not currently being addressed.

working