jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Trolls: Ignore them of Confront them?

1. Dean Traylor profile image95
    Dean Traylorposted 19 months ago

Trolls: Ignore them of Confront them?

Since the advent of forums and content sites, trolls have infiltrated the system and tried to gum it up with their insipid responses. How do you deal with trolls? Do you ignore or confront them? Give reason for your response, please.

2. Kiss andTales profile image81
    Kiss andTalesposted 19 months ago

Good question I did not know the meaning , but who ever discovered the word for the sitiution I say good Job !
    Some people are limited and they want you to think and be like them.
    No. Each person is responsible for his own actions and belief. If one disagrees with another it is life and you can not change that for another. The person has to come to that conclusion himself.
    But what is immature is people calling you names because your vision and experience is not theirs especially if their education is limited.
    You can share your experience but not expect people to follow you.
    I read hubs of many relented writers I have learned alot.
    But the first thing you learn is attitude
    If it is bad you have lost a listener.
    If you are arrogant you have lost a listener, if you are out right hateful you have lost many listeners .So you only write in vain. No body wants to be bothered.
    They can find better things to do.
    This is a give and take in all fairness
    If you can not see the other persons view sometimes you are just being dogmatic.

1. Kiss andTales profile image81
      Kiss andTalesposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Very funny ! And thanks for the definition ! because now I have the proper name for it.
      Its pretty childish when you think about it . its like a child trapped in a grown body doing stupid stuff ! lol ! That shows you people stop growing in the brain

3. WordCrafter09 profile image78
    WordCrafter09posted 19 months ago

Since I stay away from the part of the HP forums that have religious/political discussions in them, I don't run into a whole lot of the kind of people who just aim to get arguments going for whatever reason they do.  If I saw something in the "other" part of the forums that looked lit it was there to just make trouble (or be spam) I'd just ignore it.

The "Answers" section is another thing.  Who asks questions for what reasons looks like a giant mix to me.  Although the original "thing" with this section was supposed to be to give people ideas for writing Hubs, these days it looks like people are just using "Answers" for discussions.  There are all kinds of question-askers who look "questionable" but don't APPEAR to be up to anything aimed at making trouble.  Who knows who's up to what "iffy-ness", but much of the time people who look like trolls have reasons other than trying to start trouble.

My thing is that if I'm bored and can't think up something to write I'll come looking for questions that I feel like trying to answer.  I used to get the occasional Hub out of it.  These days I don't (because one reason I enjoy just writing answers is that I don't feel like writing a whole, structured, Hub

As far as I'm concerned it can be hard to tell the difference between a "real"/"conventional" troll and users who slap up an obviously fake profile and "whatever" image but who may have "legitimate enough" Hubs that they want to attract attention for; so if I write an answer it's because I feel like it (I have its date and copies), and it serves my purposes.

I stay away from users who have a profile image that looks "super-iffy" (cheesy/objectionable) and sometimes an image posted with a question will be enough for me not to answer the question.

Other than, and cynical as it may sound (but let's be real here), I have little doubt that a good part of the time I'm "engaging" or "feeding" either a troll, a borderline troll, or someone/something who/that gives off some real troll vibes, whether or not they are.

In spite of all that there's some fairly good discussions that show up on here so that's fine too.  There are times when I'll write an answer and get something back that makes it clear there's real troll-like behavior, at which time I don't bother with more than my original reply.

I may at times be bored and/or tired, but I have no patience for things that start to look too ridiculous.  I do have other things to do/write.

4. tamarawilhite profile image93
    tamarawilhiteposted 19 months ago

The best options are:
    A. ignore if you don't have a witty response to undermine them
    B. humor to defuse them, a la Milo Yianapolis' examples on Youtube to critics who try to shut him down with namecalling

5. Johnny James A profile image77
    Johnny James Aposted 19 months ago

I normally ignore trolls, however, sometimes it is fun to one off confront them.  However, the purpose of trollers is to mess with people.  They do not care if what they say makes senses, they just want to rile people up.

6. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 19 months ago

Ignore them, although some people like to play with them. hmmmm . . . I am sure Wiki will offer an article on trolls and trolling. IMO I go with the mythical meaning I am aware of. A troll hides under bridges and jumps out to throw rocks and sticks at a traveler on a journey. Their intent is to disrupt the journey. Nothing more and nothing less.

7. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 19 months ago

Always, always, always ignore them. They gain their power when you confront them. They have nothing to lose by trolling you. If you respond to them you are showing them they have power over you. Just let it go.

Source: All of my college friends were huge trolls.

1. Dean Traylor profile image95
      Dean Traylorposted 18 months agoin reply to this

good adivce

2. Kiss andTales profile image81
      Kiss andTalesposted 18 months agoin reply to this

I like your answer too chloe ! You are right some time we add fuel to a raging fire ! And all we have to do is just not log it.

Closed to reply

working