Should we call our "HP friends" on not being actual friends?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

Should we call our "HP friends" on not being actual friends?

I have more respect for those who read some of their "friends" articles, on occasion, than those who never do. Is it best to un-follow and ignore those who are friends in name only? I tend to think so. How about you?

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

Yes, I tend to agree, Savvy. I occasionally go through the list of people I follow and if I haven't seen or heard from them in a year or so, or if they never read my hubs I delete them. I have one Hubber friend, however, that I am in a quandary about. I read this person's hubs and comment and they are very appreciative..but never read my hubs in return. I tend to think that even if you aren't interested in the type of hubs a person writes if they read yours you should reciprocate. Maybe that's not fair but that is my thinking.

savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's what I am talking about, Jodah. I find that a little strange. Although I wrote a hub yesterday, I am not a prolific writer like you. Nonetheless, you'd think that those whose work you read regularly might read at least 1 or 2 of your hubs. (Si

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the BA, Yves. Much appreciated.

3. savvydating profile image89

Thank you, Jodah. This question has clarfied my thoughts on this matter. Furthermore, if someone promises to read, but never does---that says something, much less those who take and never give. Actions speak for themselves. Love your answer.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

The way I look at it Yves, is that we have "followers" who may read our work only once in a while when interested in the topic.  Many individuals are simply fellow-writers whose main objective is to write, write & write, seriously interested in making money & not interested at all in interaction with others here.  This is individual right and choice~~fine with me.There are also those who are very loyal and show interest in our work regularly. I really try to reciprocate.
    After a while it's quite easy to know the reading, writing and interaction habits of nearly every one.
    I would write even if no one ever read my work and I don't make a conscientious effort to keep track.  I'm selective about whom I choose to follow and have only UNfollowed 2 or 3 people in the nearly 6 years I've been here.  Each time it was due to realizing what nasty, rude and undeserving schmucks they are. I have no time for people like that.
    Aside from those I've mentioned, there are definitely my HP "Friends," whom I am so fond of and have developed a true bond with online as well as off. I see my connections with HP members/friends/followers....very much like real life people in my life~~some mere acquaintances, a few casual friends, associates, virtual strangers and the ones who are like family to me.  In this way, my outlook on all of it is the same all the time...on or off line.  Peace, Paula

True, Paula. Some are here to make money, and they haven't time to comment. I give them a pass because they do not comment anywhere. You have always defended me, though you are not a 'follower.' (I think) I truly appreciate that.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

I see I need 2 use the next few days 2 take "inventory." My account, my hubs & my conscientiousness! My fan mail 2 U will clarify this comment, Yves. UR a DOLL!

Lol. All this time, I thought I was following Taze. Turns out, I had not hit the follow button either. And as much as I love him, I doubt that he will read a single hub of mine. His interests deal with politics alone, so he gets a pass, for now. wink

4. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

It happens.  This is a big place to bounce around in.  We're all bound to overlook a few things.  Good news is that our oversights are all repairable!  smile

5. savvydating profile image89

For sure. And thanks for the beautiful fan mail. I loved it!!

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12741323_f260.jpg

I think that over the years there have been quite a lot of turnovers, from those that leave hp, and those that stopped using it on a daily basis, and other that just changed their emphasis subject wise, and politics is certainly a subject that a lot of wise people avoid or ignore.

Then there are those that are the focus of your question. They live in their bubble,and you only see them when you visit their stuff.

In the political questions area, there a so many questions that don't get any comments. Not just mine, but I see a lot of them. Sometimes, I just pick ones that have no comments just to put it on the map.

instead of hubbers, maybe we can be called voyeurs. smile

Good comment about the bubble, Brad. Makes sense.

5. Terrielynn1 profile image84
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

Hi savey, I am new here and just getting into the groove. So far I am not sure about all of it. I love that the majority can interact in a sival manor. I don't keep track of followers, but follow a few. I really don't know how many here read my hubs. But there is some really amazing people and writers on here. Maybe we should call each other, pen pals. Thank you for asking the question, maybe I'll look more closely.

Hi Terrie....We do have some really nice folks here. I hope you enjoy your experience at HP. Thanks for stopping by.

6. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 7 years ago

I am sorry to say that I am one of "those people" and there are a couple of reasons for that.

Around the same time I published my first Article with HP, about 5 years ago, there were a couple of battles taking place.  One Hubber was accusing another of stealing their ideas.  Another was accusing someone of using their phrases, word for word, etc.
    I do not know what all of that was about, but my first thought, as a 'Newbie' was to just do my own thing and move along. I thought, Good Grief, I have enough stress running a small Business.  I love to write and this was to be a release from a few, very stressful years.
    However, by my actions; by not reading other Articles, by not Commenting on them, I believe that it has hurt my exposure, in the HP Community.

I wish that I had more time to spend here and I am working toward that.

I do appreciate that you have commented on my Articles and appreciate all that have done so in the past.

I need to reciprocate, I need to do better!  My apologies.

1. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Even so....I have some time this weekend and I plan to do some binge reading. I am looking forward to it! Happy Weekend!!

7. shanmarie profile image72
    shanmarieposted 7 years ago

I know you already have a "best"  answer, but this is my opinion. People who follow me on HP are not necessarily my friends and those who comment are not necessarily more than just an acquaintance. Invite other hand, there are a few really good friends that I have made here. And some others I consider friends  And I do not refer to them as "HP friends" or "online friends" but rather friends.

As for following and not commenting or reading, I am guilty of that. I don't mean to, but it takes so much time to network this way. So even though I am interested and want to be supportive in return, it's very difficult to find the time. I have three kids, had a job, other obligations, and I rarely have high speed internet so I can only do so much. Right now, I don't even have a computer and I have to use my phone . So. . .knowing of my own challenges, I don't delete someone for following without reading and I hope one.day I will read some of the great hubs I have missed so far. The notifications go to a special folder in my email. Sometimes I read hubs from three years ago I couldn't read then.

Hi Shannon, I only have an iphone as well, and no internet at home. I work full time, but I do not have three children. For me, making time to comment is important. Perhaps you are busier than I am, in general. Thanks for your answer.

2. shanmarie profile image72
      shanmarieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I very much enjoy the exchange of comments. I just end up feeling bad sometimes that I can't keep up. Some of that is a time issue and being busy. And some is not always having access to internet when I have the time. No data on my phone. It doesn't

It sounds like you try, Shannon, so that's a good thing. Not having access to Internet would definitely hamper your ability to interact. I think the main thing is just to not promise to read and then break that promise. It doesn't seem like you have

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)