jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Why would anyone write a hub and not allow comments.

1. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 12 months ago

Why would anyone write a hub and not allow comments.

I have been looking at different hub articles. Can someone please tell me why they write and not allow for anyone to leave a comment.a couple times I have wanted to comment about the article and haven't been able too. Why is that?

2. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 12 months ago

Maybe because they don't want the hassle, or the feedback.

I have several blogs, and I have comments shut off on some of them, because the commentary became ugly and demanding. After several months of deleting rude comments, I realized my life would be better without them, so I turned them off.

Also, some people just want to say what they have to say, and don't want to hear opinions or arguments. I always tell people who complain about not being able to comment that they should write what they think on their own blog (or hub, in this case), rather than expecting me to provide space for them on mine.

Terrielynn1posted 12 months agoin reply to this

Oh that makes sense I never thought of that. I wasn't complaining though, lov
      I've only seen this twice and wondered why. Thank you for answering.

2. lisavollrath profile image95
      lisavollrathposted 12 months agoin reply to this

See? You took the neutral answer I wrote, and made it about you. I didn't say you were complaining. That's an example of why people shut off comments---because a totally neutral post gets turned into something it's not.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 12 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13493280_f260.jpg

Some people never figured out how to turn on comments.
    Others feel comments detract from what (they've) written.
    Truth be told I'd rather someone not allow comments to be posted than to have it set up in such a way that they will only approve of comments that are in agreement with their philosophy. Some writers will even delete their hub.
    They don't want anyone presenting an "alternative" outlook.
    Having said that if someone has posted negative, insulting, distasteful personal attacking remarks it's completely understanding why the author might deny specific comments.
    Lastly there are people who only want to be (heard).
    They don't want an exchange of ideas especially if it's on a "hot button" topic. They know or anticipate a huge backlash.
    Sometimes I find myself scrolling to the bottom to see if the writer has a comment option before I decide to read the article. Having comments allowed means you're open to hearing what others think about the article as well as the topic itself.
    It also means a writer isn't threatened by a difference of opinion if tastefully presented. Too often people get hot under the collar.

Thank you. This is a wonderful answer to my question. I really didn't understand why some people did this. I love the interaction comments allow. I am always open to learn new things. Have a great day.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 12 months ago

There are those writers who wish to write only, have their work published and hopefully visible to the public through other sources than HP.  They surely still make money if they have great articles, and google likes them.  These writers just are not interested in feedback from his/her fellow writers on HP, for their own reasons.  Many don't have the time to read and respond.  Some simply are not interested in the interaction while a few just don't care to know what anyone has to say.  After being here for nearly 6 years, I can definitely understand their decision!

Hi Paula, thank you. Each of you have cleared this up for me. Yes I understand now now too. Have a great night.

working