jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Video Ads in Sidebar

1. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image98
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 2 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13906467.png
    One of the things I appreciate about HubPages is that I'm not overwhelmed with video ads. They slow down my computer and make it really hard to type a comment of click through a story but I just noticed this Robitussin ad playing in my sidebar as I attempted to respond to readers in my comments on WeHaveKids. Yikes! I know these are another form of ad revenue and it benefits us but in the long run it might hurt us. I purposely avoid sites that had video ads playing because they not only slow down my device but they're just plain annoying.

2. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image98
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 2 months ago

Also, excuse the typos, apparently this ad really got me going...

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 months ago

We allow video ads, but the sound has to be user initiated. Occasionally, one gets through that starts with sound. Did that happen here?

1. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image98
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding, Paul! No, the sound didn't start automatically. I actually wouldn't have noticed the ad except that it wasn't allowing me to type until I paused it. That's probably an issue with my flash player but I guess a good thing to be aware of too when it comes to readability and ease of commenting for readers.

1. Venkatachari M profile image44
        Venkatachari Mposted 2 months agoin reply to this

The sound may not start automatically, but the videos start automatically distracting our attention.

working