jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Promotional Comment Spam

1. heidithorne profile image98
    heidithorneposted 2 months ago

I've been seeing a number of what I call "promotional" comments lately from new users. They're not negative and actually read quite well. However, at the end of the comment, there's a "I love this (whatever)" with a link. I'm sure not clicking the link AND I'm denying all the comments of this ilk. Spam in my opinion.

I'm for a ban on links in comments. Genuine folks in the hubber community never seen to need them.

Just thinking out loud...

1. Venkatachari M profile image42
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Yes, they can be treated as promotional. You can just ignore replying to them. But, I don't think the need to treat them as spam or deny them, if they are providing some good comment. Just abstain from acknowledging. That will be enough.

heidithorneposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion!

2. chasmac profile image96
    chasmacposted 2 months ago

I don't approve any comments that contain a link.

1. theraggededge profile image99
      theraggededgeposted 2 months agoin reply to this

I don't either. There's only one reason someone posts a link in a comment.

Having said that, if a reader asks a question that is best answered by another hub or article I've written, I do post my own smile

That would certainly be an acceptable use of links in a comment! Though I hesitate doing so since I don't want to seem like I'm detracting from the article author's work. What I've done sometimes is say that I wrote an article on such-and-such and direct them to look at my profile (which is linked to the comment).

Thanks for chiming in!

2. heidithorne profile image98

That's my feeling, too. Thanks for joining the conversation!

working