I Could Use Some Advice on How to Improve a Few Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. EricFarmer8x profile image93
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

My goal is to get most of my writing on LevelSkip. I have some Hubs on LevelSkip right now, and I plan on writing more hubs that hopefully get moved to LevelSkip. Most of my recent work is not quite good enough for the editors. I need to proofread my spelling and grammar.

I am hoping people could look at two of my Hubs and give some feedback and advice. Both of these Hubs are reviews of video games I liked and played. I give feedback on what I think about the games.

Review of Assault Android Cactus
    https://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/Assa … tus-Review

Review of Downwell
    https://hubpages.com/games-hobbies/Review-of-Downwell

Thank you for reading and thank you if you provide feedback.

2. Jeremy Gill profile image93
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

Hi, Eric. Your writing style uses several short, simple sentences. Like this. Sometimes sounds off. Try combining related ones with conjunctions or semicolons. Be consistent with capitalization of key words in capsule headings, and be sure to caption photos.

Also, I noticed a lot of the passive voice; spruce things up with the active when possible. As an example, "The game suffers from poor graphics" is more interesting than "The game has poor graphics."

I myself have a few LevelSkip articles; feel free to use Control+F on my profile and type in "Tower Defense King" to find one if you need inspiration. Good luck!

EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I do tend to just narutaly write in a short and fragmented way out of habit. It is something I know I need to work on.

I will work on trying to use less passive voice as well. This is something I read about and I heard it helps to use much less of it.

I have looked at some your articles before and I remember the post when you reached 1 million views. Interesting that the use of lists has worked well for you. I was sort afraid to try this format as I didn't think I would have much to say or I would be able to do it well.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 6 years ago

I agree with the precious comment that you have too many short, choppy sentences.

1. Jeremy Gill profile image93
      Jeremy Gillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I know you meant "previous" but I appreciate the compliment anyway!

EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I took your advice, and I got some good results from it. My Downwell Hub was moved to LevelSkip today. I changed the name and focus of the Hub, so I reuploaded it as new Hub.

When I submitted my Assault Android Cactus Hub, the editors said the Hub needs editing first before being moved. I suppose this is not too bad of a result since the editors liked the hub enough to move the Hub in the future.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)