Does anyone write on Infobarrel?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

If you do, how is search traffic to your articles there?  Has there been a recent change from the Google Panda or Penguin updates? Would you recommend this site to other writers?

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a few articles there under the name Thinkwrite17. It used to seem like I earned as much on ten articles as I did here on over a hundred, but I've lost track of earnings with the changes in the Google Analytics format. I can't seem to find the old report with earnings.

Infobarrel is small and has less of a community feel than it does here, but lately, I've started writing there again. So, yes, I would recommend it. I would encourage you to read the Terms and Conditions.

Let me know what you decide?
      Peg

PS - I've started the transition of all my photos using the alt tag. Thanks for your helpful advice.

2. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have one article there but I have a friend who says they prefer Infobarrel than HP, I don't share that sentiment.

Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Does your friend get traffic from Google and is he making any money with the InfoBarrel AdSense program?

1. Cardisa profile image89

I think he does. Based on what he told me some time ago he makes some money there. I think he also makes a few product sales.

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Cardisa profile image89

You're welcome smile

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox,
          Someone told you about Wizzley. I read a page that mentioned Jo Harrington (3 yr. member here, 0 Hubs) has book published and selling on Amazon. On Wizzley, in 12 months, she wrote most articles and received most Editors Choice Awards and also attracted thousands of readers.

3. Maina Ndungu profile image92
      Maina Ndunguposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm also on IB. I do agree with other contributors that traffic there is comparatively lower. You can hardly type a search on Google and get an article from Infobarrel. What's more, you can't delete your article unless you flag it and wait for the guys to delete it. Their quality assessment is also more stringent, particularly keyword issues.

However, it's a legitimate site and worth the effort. My advice to all HP writers is to never dare move your hubs elsewhere. I've tried it and failed miserable. If they don't get traffic here, they won't get it anywhere else. Aim at improving them instead.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image59

Writer Fox,
      I just saw a Hub from 3 months ago about Infobarrel below. Unless you have, you may want look it over.

5. TolovajWordsmith profile image89
      TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have two published articles there. Both were checked/corrected by native speaker, because my initial attempt was rejected due my poor knowledge of English language. Traffic is poor (well, so are my keywords in these articles), but links coming from IB proved to be pretty good in my case.

Their forum was good source of knowledge few years ago, but now it looks almost abandoned.

Editing is not so cool as at HP. If you are looking for alternative, I think Wizzley is closer. If you need diversification of links, try both. If you want to earn good money, you probably already know your own site is the best option.

2. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 9 years ago

WriterFox, I highly recommend Infobarrel. My traffic isn't great there though, but I'm not putting as much into that site as I have here or elsewhere. One of my referrals, though, is writing up a storm and appears to be doing pretty well.

You can probably figure out how get a lot of traffic there as well. smile

3. ologsinquito profile image82

However, I should add that the money appears to be better here, even factoring in for the recent traffic loss.

4. Dressage Husband profile image66
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

Good question I would be interested in following this one to see what others think. The loss of Squidoo cost me and I do not think we can assume HP is immune to the wrath of big G!

5. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I tried them at one point and found the traffic to be poor.  I still have some articles on there which get very little traffic, but then again, I haven't done anything with them for a long time.

6. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

It sounds like more HP people are writing on Bubblews than on Infobarrel.

The site isn't on Quantcast, but these are the figures from Alexa:

49% of the traffic is from India
    26.6% from the U.S.
    5.7% from U.K.
    2.1% from Pakistan

Site traffic sent from search engines: 7.3%

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/infobarrel.com

Alexa makes traffic estimates from people who have its toolbar installed on its computer, so the data is not from actual traffic numbers like Quantcast. (You can look at statistics for HubPages on Alexa to see how they compare to real data on Quantcast.)

Still, I am wondering about that site and the kind of traffic it receives from search.  The revenue sharing plan seems to be better there but, if there's no traffic, there's no revenue to share.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I only wrote 2 articles there. I didn't like how the site publisher worked with few options. The two articles haven't ranked well. Maybe if I put more work in there, I would have done better, but I've noticed I've never seen an Infobarrel article in any searches I do. There were also writers that shared their earnings and I wasn't impressed.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You originally asked how traffic is going on Infobarrel. I checked the forums and I don't see any complaints over there about falling traffic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A more relevant question would be, how much traffic were they getting in the first place?

Writing sites are often quite insular.  For instance, my very first writing site was Helium.com.    When I joined HP I was stunned to see how much I could earn compared to Helium.  But six years later when I went back to Helium to collect my articles, I came across several of the same writers, still writing for pennies and still thinking that was the best they could do.  They'd just never raised their head above the parapet to see what else was available.

I've learned that when a writer says, "I recommend such-and-such a site and I'm doing well there", it means nothing - because some people think "doing well" is 5 cents per article per month, whereas others think "doing well" is $5 per article per day!

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59

Are you leaving too?
      I am trying to check them out (without signing up yet) and cannot read the pages because there is no down bar.

No, I'm not leaving HP.  My traffic is still good here.  But I'm curious about InfoBarrel.  I know at one time a lot of HP people were writing there but the site doesn't look very active now.  I would consider writing a few articles there if I thought I wouldn't be wasting my time. Also, it looks like if you publish something there that you have difficulty deleting it if you want to.

I also had trouble viewing it on Chrome.

1. tony55 profile image85
          tony55posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I will suggest you stick to one Good article directory because there's no point trying  other platforms .You'll end up writing endless articles for peanuts.
          I have several blogs, write hundreds of articles on many sites without actually benefiting anything financially but just the love of the art.
          At the moment i am totally burned out tired and concentrating only  on one or two two sites.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I tried info barrel before moving to hubpages because I could actually make payout here.

8. dwelburn profile image92
    dwelburnposted 9 years ago

I have a few articles there but they don't get any traffic which is why I haven't really bothered any more. It seems much easier to get traffic on HP (although my traffic here is only a fifth of what it was a while ago).

There is someone over there who reached earnings of almost $3000 per month some time back. Think he's on a lot less than that now though, but I haven't been over there for a while to see what's going on now.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59

How many articles is he writing? I read farther back that you have to write a lot to make a lot.

9. psycheskinner profile image83

That is the gist if it--you think traffic here is low? Over there it is lower

10. ologsinquito profile image82

Traffic is definitely lower over there, as our earnings. But it's still a nice site.

11. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 9 years ago

I wrote a number of articles a long time ago in IB.  Since I did not get much traffic there, and earnings were thin, I have stopped writing there.

12. psycheskinner profile image83

Info barrel was being pushed hard by some SEO pundits about 3 years ago as the up and coming content site, but IMHO it never up and came.

13. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

I popped in there yesterday after reading this thread.  I published one article there and am going through the wait and see approval process.

Not sure how it will go, but I am always willing to try a site I have not tried.  I have made a few dollars here and there over the years by doing so. smile

It was not hard to publish there however there was one glitch.  No matter how hard I tried I could not get a caption to appear for my photo.  I tried deleting it and then reuploading it several times to no avail.

Please let us know how long it took you to get approved.

I've done a little checking and it doesn't look like anyone there is making $1,000 a month right now, though some people used to in 2010.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81
        Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So far it is taking 17 hours and 49 minutes according to my "last" activity on the site.  Seems like a rather long wait.  Will update here when and if it become published.  Or....when it becomes denied as that is another option.

I will say that your "About Me" information will not be published until you have one article published on the site according to my page.

OK, thanks.  It appears like this site is owned by two guys who own a lot of other sites, too, so maybe this one isn't their top priority right now.

Did you have a look at the forum?  It's not very active.

1. Dale Hyde profile image81

I glanced in the forum yesterday to look for any "tips" that may jump out at me.  Needless to say not a thing jumped.  It is amazing that I read one "help" or "faq" article there that suggested that even though a lot of information was outdated and from 2008, that some still applied.  That does create a worry that they do not keep things updated with the current and/or ongoing changes of the site.

I had no idea about the owners of the site at all. I may delve into that and check things out as time allows.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Has your article been published yet?  What's your user name there?

2. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I started writing over there in June I think. It can take anywhere from a few hours to more than a week to get an article approved. The admin review new articles manually, and I think they get some help from trusted writers on the site to review articles (at least, someone said so in the forum).

I only have 11 articles there so I've been slow to say what earnings are like there. I can say I have one article I wrote a few months ago there that is on page 3 of the SERPs for the keyword phrase. However, as others have said, my understanding is that it's been a long while since anyone has made big earnings there, maybe a few people make some money. Also, I've noticed many people say they make some money but they have a large volume of articles. Again, I don't know a lot about that, I have minimal experience there.

Edit: The reason I was attracted to the site originally is that I think they pay per impression and you don't need an Adsense account to earn; for me it was a way to diversify in a relatively safe and (possibly) effective way.

Wow!  A week to get an article approved!  That really sounds like no one is minding the store. I appreciate your feedback.

1. NateB11 profile image89
            NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No problem. Yeah, I was pretty surprised when it took that long. I ended up deciding to continue writing articles while others were in review.

3. Dale Hyde profile image81

Just to update here: It has been 48 hours since I submitted my first article on InfoBarrel and so far it has NOT been published.  What a joke.  I should delete what I placed there and publish here on HP or on my blog.

Sounds like the site is not exactly looking for/encouraging new writers! I hope you ride it out just to see how long it takes.  Then, at least, you'll have some information about your experience there to write a review Hub about it. wink Then, you can see how long it takes Google to find the article and Index it.  Then you can delete it.

14. samihipendo profile image60
    samihipendoposted 9 years ago

Hey tony55,

Could you share these few article directories you find worthwhile? Thanks

15. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

I have an Infobarrel account that's about 2 and a half years old with about 70 articles, non-niche.  Not only does Infobarrel rank very poorly in SERPs, but also the CPM is much lower than at HubPages.

The articles I have there are not worth relocating to my own sites or HubPages, so I just leave them there to get the $5 a month they generate.   

The site has never really recovered from its Google penalties, but because it's a low-key operation (nothing like the staff bloat that HP has), the owners still profit from it so it's still alive. At least they know how to run a site efficiently.  And the owners are pretty nice.

Some points in its favor are that you don't need an Adsense account to earn from their earnings program.  And they are not so restrictive on many topics the way HP is.  But they don't have subdomains to insulate users from other users's crap, and the site doesn't look as nice and clean as HP does. 

There may be people who manage to get good search engine traffic to their infobarrel articles, but I think most users have resigned themselves to targeting social media, which is more work and defeats the purpose of passive income.  All in all, I can't really recommend it.

16. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

+1

17. psycheskinner profile image83

This thread has reminded me that I need to transfery info barrel pages to hubpages.

big_smile

18. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Just a heads up for people who have Infobarrel articles and want to take them off the site.  There's no do-it-yourself delete or unpublish option on IB as there is on every other user-generated content farm; you have to email staff and they delete them for you.  I think they are pretty good about turnaround times, but you might have to wait depending how busy they are.

19. psycheskinner profile image83

That is one of the more annoying aspects of using IB

20. Dale Hyde profile image81

84 hours and counting since I submitted that first article there.  Still it is not published (or denied) so far.  I can see how that would certainly be discouraging to someone new to the site!

21. Dale Hyde profile image81

TaDa!  I am published as of this post on IB. smile  Doing a little promoting to see what kinds of views I can get and such.  Only an 86 hour wait period, lol. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)