Helpful Hubbing Tips

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Jeremy Davies profile image63
    Jeremy Daviesposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13929622_f1024.jpg
    Hi everyone, my first post here! I am a new Hubber and would love to know your number one tip for Hubbing! Please let me know!

1. lovetherain profile image82
      lovetherainposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It is good to have a niche that people want to read. Be unique. Enjoy yourself. Welcome to HubPages!

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

My number one tip would be to take time to read the information in the learning center and then read hubs by successful writers who have implemented those guidelines so that you can see how they look on the page.  Look at work that carries a hubber score of at least 85 .  Those with scores close to 100 pretty much have mastered the basics.  Another thing you can do is produce a hub,, get it featured and then ask for specific advice on the forums.  We all are willing to help people who want to learn and grow because that was us in the past! Welcome to HP and good luck.

3. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good tips already posted. Don't dismiss any of them!  Your first post looks like a very nice start. Learn more about proofing articles if you want them to really stand out, but remember, mistakes are not the end of the world. Everyone makes them and one of the best things about HP is the option to correct them if/when we find them in our own work. That's the tricky part!  Have fun, keep learning, and enjoy those who support your work.

4. jackclee lm profile image80
      jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My suggestion is to write good articles that are relevant...join a local writers group and get feedback and critique on your articles before publishing...
      Good luck and welcome to HubPages.

5. greenmind profile image95
      greenmindposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Be very very patient.

6. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages. Write what you are passionate about. Be patient and don´t mind the ups and downs of the HubScore. Enjoy writing here.

7. robhampton profile image93
      robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I hope a lot of people read this. VERY helpful hubbing tips. I started on HP in 2010. A lot has changed with HP since then. Here is what I've learned since then...(through analytics, SEO techniques, etc..) Unless you rely on the latest celebrity gossip to write articles for getting traffic, it's the "how to" articles that seem to do the best. Think about it for a minute.. EVERYBODY wants to save money! All I know is even though I'm sort of handy, I'm not an auto mechanic. What's the first thing I do before I bring my car to the mechanic?.. I google it to see if it's an easy, cheap fix I can do myself. I write about swimming pools. It's my day job, and have done this for over 20 years. It's a VERY lucrative niche for me. Although very seasonal, I get some serious traffic during the busy summer season. Who wants to pay a pool service several hundred dollars to come out and treat the pool if they can buy the stuff they need for $50 and do it themselves? This is just an example. The potential to earn on HP is pretty much unlimited. Did you see the forum awhile ago where Paul posted a "Paypal resolution" for those who were making over $10,000/month? Well, I'm not one of them, but I can surely see the potential and realize now that it's not really that far out of reach to make that kind of money on here.
      So..There are all kind of interests that can do very well as far as traffic views, but again.. "how to's" bring in a lot! (Electricians, auto mechanics, home repair, etc..) ie:  "How much does your company charge to add an extra plug outlet in my living room?, $190.00 ?? Screw that!" Therefore... we search the internet and do it ourselves right?
      I actually saw an article on hubpages once years ago titled "How to open a door" Ya, I'm sure thousands of people are searching for that! lol  It really is about content. I'm not saying that just the trades will bring traffic, but it is NOT all about the number of articles, but the content and quality. I am now starting to focus on quantity because I know my articles are now to quality standards. I can't talk specific earnings, but I'll just say that CPM has more than triples this year. Here's a screenshot of last years traffic from June - October. I have added several articles since then, and it's already making a huge difference in traffic views.
      https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13935274_f1024.jpg

2. Jessie L Watson profile image60
    Jessie L Watsonposted 6 years ago

Don't pay attention to your HubScore. It goes up or down whether you're publishing or not.

3. Jeremy Gill profile image92
    Jeremy Gillposted 6 years ago

Hello Jeremy, love your name by the way.

Read some Hubs from others to get a feel for what HubPages expects. Find which niche topics you specialize in, make your articles at least 700 words long, and sprinkle images throughout them for visual flair.

You can earn small amounts of money (depending on your traffic) once you're accepted into the Google Adsense program, which requires making a dozen or so quality articles. Be sure to proofread, and welcome to HubPages!

4. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 6 years ago

Welcome Jeremy.  Read other peoples articles and comment and get involved in the forums.  You'll learn what you need to know to be successful on HP more quickly that way and the support from other hubbers is invaluable. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

5. Endy Noble profile image67
    Endy Nobleposted 6 years ago

Welcome on board Jeremy,
    #1 Secret: Everything about hubpages and hubbing is a mystery...from hubscore to hub earnings. However, if you know your trade, you will enjoy friendship from hubbers and the writing profession.

6. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 6 years ago

Be passionate about the articles you write.

7. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 6 years ago

Hello Jeremy, welcome to hubpages. Writing with passion and interest alone will not get you to your goal.
    The number one tip I'll like to give you is to befriend the hub-pages learning center.
    There you will find all the tools for a successful hubbing.
    Once again, welcome. And, happy hubbing!

8. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Welcome to HP, Jeremy! The best advice I can give is to be patient with your progress. It takes time, patience, and a tenacious spirit to finally see your readership grow. Even after you've mastered the "formula" for a stellar hub and receive blessings from Google, you may have to wait for traffic to build. But it will come, along with earnings. Good luck!

9. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 6 years ago

I agreed with janshares.

10. kaiyan717 profile image86
    kaiyan717posted 6 years ago

Just write. Quality matters of course, but it's volume that will actually make money. Viral is the way to make substantial revenue and you may have to write 100 to get there. When you have an idea, write a hub. This is a long haul income stream, so get a base started of many hubs, monetize, then let it trickle in. Good luck!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it is not volume that makes money.  There have been people here with as few as 12 hubs who have done extremely well financially.  It is topic, quality and  searchability that matter..  You can write all day long about purple worms, but if nobody is interested in that topic, you'll get no views!

2. robhampton profile image93

Actually that's not true. Quantity isn't what should be focused on. Some people have 300 hubs and don't get much traffic. Last year during the summer I was getting upwards of 5,000 views/day with my 26 hubs. Subject and content.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Down here, and in Australia too, summer is in January. As good as your articles are, you should be getting that many page views per day all year round. When I look at one of your articles to fix a problem on my pool, I find that your suggestions are only for people in the US. What about the rest of the world? If you write some more, and make some of them regionally valid (for example "How to fix your green pool in Australia") you would probably be a fan of having a lot more hubs.

1. robhampton profile image93

Good advice. I'll consider that. Although my articles are not specifically directed toward people in the US (a green pool is a green pool no matter where it's at), I See where you're going with that as far as views.

2. robhampton profile image93

Also you need to keep in mind that my career has not brought me outside of the US. This is what I know best. Maybe things are different with pools in other countries, maybe not. Point is, I just don't know. I've never serviced pools in other countries so it might not be a good idea to "guess" and then write an article about something I'm not 100% sure of.

I am not sure if the chemicals we use are what you are using in the US. When I read one of your hubs, and you suggest that I "apply X and then clean the pool", for example, I wonder if you are talking about one of the agents that we use, or something we do not even have available. The filtering systems are the same, since we have several different types (I do not remember all of their names! I am sure you do.)
            Anyway, this would take a lot of research and I am not sure it is worth the effort. I see your articles every time I look up a pool problem on Google so I just suggested it because you were talking about your traffic being only seasonal.
            (My niche is NEVER seasonal, but I can imagine how frustrating it is to you and others like TimeTraveller2 when you see those numbers drop in the fall.)

1. robhampton profile image93

lol, yes definitely seasonal! I still do get traffic, just not much in the off season. Have been adding more articles as of lately and I think if I eventually write enough of them, should be able to do at least ok during that time. I do like your idea though. I'm going to figure out how to incorporate that in some articles. I agree, will probably take some research. I could learn a thing or two from you!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yup, and I was 2000+ with 10 hubs at the time.

11. sallybea profile image82
    sallybeaposted 6 years ago

Welcome to HubPages.  I would develop a niche for myself.  Seems like you are perfectly placed at the moment to write about travel or volunteering.

12. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 6 years ago

Welcome. Here’s a tip ... adding big photos to forum posts makes it difficult for lots of hubbers. Takes up too much space in our ‘feed’, especially when checking on a phone.  So save your photos for your articles. smile

Great tip. Not all of us live in an apartment with numerous cables running in every wall. A big picture that adds nothing to the post is no help at all.

13. ILoveLegosToo profile image81
    ILoveLegosTooposted 6 years ago

My advice is for every hour you spend learning about how to write on Hubpages, create two hubs.  And then Repeat!  You can easily get into an analysis paralysis cycle which doesn't get you anywhere.  It is hard to predict what will drive traffic as there are a whole lot of factors not the least of which is competition from other articles across the web.

14. revmjm profile image87
    revmjmposted 6 years ago

Hi Jeremy, Welcome aboard. I hope you like it here. The main thing is to write consistently and don't give up. Write about things you know and the rest will be easy. Happy Hubbing!

15. profile image0
    chefsaeedposted 6 years ago

I got my 2nd article ready ,I am new here too but enjoying writing to share my ideas.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)